Are the replacement iPhones that they give you at the Apple Store new?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dave8209, Aug 6, 2013.

1. dave8209 macrumors member

dave8209

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There has been so much discussion on this it's not even funny. At the end of the day, my conclusion is "we just don't know". I would highly doubt that 100% off all components in all "refurb" phones are brand new. That makes very little business sense. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some new units, depending on sctock constraints. For sure, launch day units are brand new. I got a refurb of an iPhone 4 the day after it launched. It came in the refurb box, but it obviously wasn;t a refurb unit less than 24 hours before it hit shelves.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why does it matter?

4. Cx38 macrumors member

When I asked the genius at my Apple Store (UK) he told me that they were new but some of the parts may have been previously used. So to me it sounds like refurbs :)

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

It's hard to tell. You can only be sure your phone is new when you buy one sealed. All replacements may or may not be remanufactured. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter.

6. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

The apple store(s) that I received replacement iPhones from all said they are brand new iPhones and Apple makes iPhones for the store so that they are just for replacement purposes

7. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Could be either refurb or new, but the case and battery are new.

8. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

I have gotten a iPhone 4 32g & iPhone 5 64g replacement and they worked flawlessly. They looked new but who knows. I really believe the iPhone 5 was new though...

9. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

At the release date yes, but not now. It usually a refurbished phone with new battery, and case. This has been discussed a number of times in the past with the other iphones. The returned units have got to go some where and that is back to Apple to be refurbished, than given to the Apple stores for replacements.

10. taedouni macrumors 65816

No one really knows. You may get a new one or you may get a refurbished one. Either way, it doesn't matter. You won't be able to tell the difference. A refurbished iPhone is just like a new one. New exterior and new battery.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Here is a problem that most (I'd say about 99%) people make. They believe Apple provided replacement units that are "refurbished". This is incorrect. A misnomer if you will.

The replacement units they give out are considered "remanufactured" units.
    That is, units that both new and used/tested parts.

Refurbished units are those units that are tested and defective parts replaced. You will generally see these in such places as AT&T and Verizon websites.

Remanufactured units are those units that are torn down and individually tested parts married up with new parts to form a completely different unit. You will see these in Apple stores for warranty replacement units.

Source: Apple Inc.

12. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

I was told the same on Saturday. Instead of saying previously used he said some parts are recycled.