Are the screens on the 13" MBP still crappier than the 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 2, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Everyone,

I remember when the unibodies first came out, I was all set on getting the 13" mb unibodies. However, after taking one look at their screens in the apple store, I bought the MBP classic instead due to the amazing screen.

Now that they are both called the "pro" do they come with identical screen capabilities (other than the size and resolution, obviously).

Thanks.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the 15" still has the superior screen. I don't think the new screens with increase of color gamut necessarily mean better quality and that's what people get confused about. Forget about the "Pro" tag, it was just slapped on, it's still a MacBook.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

And the base 15" is just a 15" MacBook then, right?

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To be honest, I think it is.

5. tim2006 macrumors 6502

I would think that all of the 15's share the same quality of screen.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

As much as I love my 13" MBP, I have to agree with you. I don't think you really can have what defines a Mac as "Pro" in a 13" screen (viewing space for editing/dedicated graphics/space for cooling due to increased CPU speeds)

I didn't buy it because I was like "OMFZG itS a Pr0!"..I liked the fact that it was a significant upgrade to the 13" uMB.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's probably why it still has the good screen because it's used in the mid and top-end MacBook Pro's.

Also, I didn't buy mine because it was "Pro". It suited my needs best so I pulled the trigger. I'm not arguing should be called pro or not, I really don't care but it's to clarify to people who ask "well if this is a "Pro" machine, why does it lack in this and that". There are still people out there who think the hardware should be a level because it was given the "Pro" name and which should not be mixed with the people who really believe the 13" is more powerful then the portable it replaced.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I think that they are just about equal now. I own a 13" MBP and was just in the Apple Store yesterday and didn't notice a difference.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The "Pro" tag wasn't just slapped on there. Call it what you feel dude, it's still a Macbook Pro. Apple's mistake was dumbing it down and calling it a Macbook in the first place. Aside from the crap screen and missing firewire the previous one was still very close to a Macbook Pro. If you want to ignore the support for 8GB ram, firewire 800, upgrade quality screen and SD slot and 7 hour battery then so be it, you're just in denial. And I'll bet you knew very little about the 12" Powerbook (which was nothing but a glorified iBook) because this new 13" MBP kicks the crap out of it in screen quality and feature set.

10. Doju macrumors 68000

You're confusing "pro" with the incorrect ideology that all "pros" are graphic majors who need high speed graphics and processors.

There are MANY pros who use MacBook Airs. These screen size or graphics card have nothing to do with the "pro"ness of a laptop. Not all pro users require those things, simple as that.

For many pros, they mean nothing, while portability and being able to bring their job/life everywhere IS, which is why in some cases, the 13" MBP may be even more pro than its 15" counterpart, for some people.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The 13" MBP screen is phenomenally better than any previous 13" screens. It's not that far from the 15" MBP screen. But overall, the 13" panel is much better than before.

12. cababah macrumors 68000

Yeah this could potentially spawn a never-ending debate with regards to the word, "pro." I don't really think it matters. Nobody buys a computer based on the name but rather what it has inside. I just like to think of it in a way such as: Buy the computer you like and suits your needs and enjoy it.

I don't think it is really worth it to get all philosophical and ponder the true meaning of "pro."

Bottom line is the 13" MBP kicks a** regardless of whether it has a suiting title or not. :)

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would consider a "pro" notebook something like the Dell Precision. Something with workstation power using the best parts available. In that case none of the Macbook Pros fit the bill. Its just a name to separate high end and low end.

14. vanc macrumors 6502

Per the test done by this review, 13' screen is a little bit better than 15'. 17' is the best of course.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Why can't we call the WhiteBook a MacBook Pro as well?

16. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

That review is terrible. Any body can look at a 9C9E screen in the 13" MBP and know that the "color accuracy" sucks! :eek:

17. Agentmckay macrumors newbie

Nope, 13.3 screen looks as good if not better then the 15. The 17 may be a bit better but only because of the larger size as anybody can see.

18. Gogf macrumors newbie

Thoughts: I don't think the word "pro" really has any meaning in the way that we're using it. Anybody with a job is technically a professional, so almost everybody here is a "pro" in the sense that some are using the word. The meaning that Apple ascribes to pro is "upscale/expensive/sexy." It's a marketing ploy. But the secondary implications of the word, and the one that I think it's probably most productive to capitalize on, are that the computer is intended for people who are "computer professionals" who need high-end machines to run very specific software.

On the other hand, I really don't buy into the theory that two additional diagonal inches of screen space actually has a significant impact on someone's ability to do serious graphics or video work. The idea that a 15 inch screen is "professional" [in that sense of the word] in a way that a 13 inch screen is not is just absolutely nuts. It's nice. It makes work easier. It probably makes it especially easier for people who are doing hard-core graphics work. But the real deal here is going to be a second monitor, not a slightly easier-to-use machine.

19. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

NO. Your wrong. :)

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Isnt there enough "Pro" arguments already?

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...thank you, I like my new whitebook pro:D (she's being used for work right now in another window)...

22. hr10 macrumors member

I got a chance to compare both mbp 13" vs 15 mbp. Color and viewing angel is almost identical. The only difference is just the brightness. The 15" is around 20% brighter in general

23. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Yeah. Trust Macrumors posters who are squinting at their eyeball-calibrated (or even worse, uncalibrated) screen in poorly lit dorm rooms, or trust Rob who has actually measured the screens using spectrophotometers and colorimeters. Tough choice.

Ruahrc

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How do the new 13" mbps compare with uni mb screens made in 09 before the refresh? Apple quietly upgraded the screens in the unis, are they the same ones?

25. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

The uni mb screens are far superior.