Are the US and Europe really that different?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VulchR, Jan 13, 2013.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The US takes a certain amount of flak in these forums, yet I note there has been not a peep about the French bombing in Mali (see link) and the anti-gay protests in Paris (see link). Perhaps there are fewer differences between Americans and Europeans than many here would like to believe....

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

Do some research & study history. You'll be amazed at the differences.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes.
    The reason they haven't been mentioned here,yet, could well have something to do with the UScentric nature of the forum.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The US is a European nation. It is more European than anything else (despite what the right might say). Check up on your history, anthropology, and sociology.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Far too UScentric. Please help us from incessantly gazing at our navels. Help broaden our perspectives.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I read that the approval rate for gay marriage in France was 65% just a year ago. Now it shrunk down to 50%. How does that even happen? There are a lot of differences between the US and Europe. But I don't think the Europeans are quite as tolerant as some on here give them credit for. Especially Southern Europe, gay adoption is still illegal in Italy.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Every time I bring up an Asian example no-one has any comments in reply - it's all our faults that non US stuff isn't covered as much as it should be.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The fact is these types of stories only make on to this forum if the English press pick up the story. Any thread which does not relate to the US directly dies a very quick death.
    The other overriding point is US news is world news, it's the nature of the beast.
    I do know what you are talking about, some years ago I had an American neighbour, and he used to get so frustrated when people would talk to him like he was responsible for what happened in the USA.
    It's not just UScentric but English language Centric.

I see nearly every day interesting articles, but if I produce source material only in Dutch, French or German, I don't think that many on this forum would be able to read them.
    The fact of the matter is unless the subject is covered by the English press is not a news worthy item.

Just this week it was confirmed that 37 people had had their firearms licence withdrawn because of mental health issues.

To give some idea of what I'm saying.

'PSYCHISCH LABIELE MENSEN LOPEN ROND MET WAPEN'

Doordat de controle op wapenbezit door politie tekort schiet, lopen nog steeds mensen rond met een wapen terwijl ze psychische problemen hebben. 37 psychisch labiele mannen met een vergunning hebben hun wapens moeten inleveren.
    Vergunningen ingetrokken
    Dat meldt RTL Nieuws zaterdag. In totaal zijn er enkele honderden wapenvergunningen ingetrokken. In april 2011 schoot Tristan van der Vlis in een winkelcentrum in Alphen aan den Rijn zes mensen dood en verwondde er 17. Daarna doodde hij zichzelf. De 24-jarige man had psychische problemen en zat enige tijd in een gesloten inrichting. RTL vroeg de dossiers op van de 377 vergunningen die de politie sinds het schietdrama tot oktober vorig jaar heeft ingetrokken.

Informatie over vergunninghouders bekend bij politie
    Uit de documenten blijkt dat de vergunninghouders al langere tijd verward gedrag vertoonden, onder behandeling stonden of bij herhaling verontrustende uitspraken deden. In sommige gevallen was deze informatie al jaren bekend in de politiesystemen.

Diepgravend onderzoek
    Alleen de korpsen Haaglanden, Amsterdam en Limburg-Zuid deden zonder directe aanleiding diepgravend antecedentenonderzoek bij vergunninghouders. Daarbij werd over een langere periode ook gekeken naar meldingen van verwaarlozing of agressief gedrag van de wapenbezitter.

Landelijke aanpak
    In een reactie stelt plaatsvervangend korpschef Ruud Bik van de Nationale Politie dat wordt gewerkt aan eenduidige, landelijke aanpak van het aanvraagproces voor wapenverloven. Ook de effectiviteit van de controles op wapenvergunningen wordt beter. ,,Verschillen tussen korpsen behoren door eenduidige afspraken en richtlijnen bij het nieuwe korps tot het verleden'', aldus Bik. Zo wil hij dat wijkagenten beter op wapenbezitters gaan letten.

http://www.binnenlandsbestuur.nl/be...ele-mensen-lopen-rond-met-wapen.8702013.lynkx

This an original story nothing to do with the USA.

Knock your selfs out with it.:D

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To be fair on the French, opinion does seem to change depending on what exact question is asked - take a look at UK public opinion.

And the French do protest about everything.

11. VulchR thread starter macrumors 68020

VulchR

Google translate ... *cough* *cough* .... :p

I got the main thrust of the story.

To be fair, they seem to riot an awful lot as well...

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

IMO the similarities vastly outweigh the differences, yet it's commonly claimed that these differences are the reason that sound public policy -- proven to work in Europe -- can't work in the U.S.

I see it as a convenient excuse.

13. Happybunny, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I should have added that IMO America and the UK do share a lot in common. Once you start on mainland Europe the differences become far greater, not just in language, but most of our laws are based on Code de Napoleon. Culture differs the countries of Old Europe have little in common with either the US or the UK.

And just to make it easy I include the English page from wikipedia.:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleonic_Code

14. Andeavor macrumors 6502

We could suggest a separate non-English PRSI forum. I'd be for it.

It could also help some posters to brush up on their Dutch, French or German.

I just found out that members of 'some' Eastern European states, including Turkey, are not allowed to purchase or own guns in Switzerland. Opponents are currently revising the rule.

President Hollande did promise from the start to make same-sex marriage legal during his term (talk about "Dutch courage"). Those protesters today are only a few and came even in fewer numbers. What will cause a bigger discussion is adoption by same-sex marriage, that's where even supporters will draw the line.

15. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

My own observation is that they are a lot more similar than "social conservatives" on both sides of the Atlantic would like to admit. One thing that confuses Europeans about the U.S. is the form of decentralized government. In many ways the U.S. is more similar to the EU. Many Europeans seem surprised that culturally things in Alabama are different from things in California, and that the state governments of California and Alabama are not really connected in any way. They are not surprised to say the same thing about France and Greece.

16. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Well we say tomato and you say tomatoe....oh wait we know a song about that...

17. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Having been living in the USA for my life, Dating a french women who does want me to move to France ( and I am doing it in August ), and traveling all over the world because of my job.

I can say, yes. The US and Europe are VERY different, if we are comparing westren Europe to the USA, and as a citizen of USA it pains me to say that in France, Spain, Germany, England, ect, People are more intelligent, they are nicer, not as violent, and much more aware of whats going on in the world.

Most people in the US are a sorry excuse for a human. Black friday is a great example of this.

----------

It really isn't, the US has a far inferior culture to most Countries in Europe, because.

People in Europe aren't nearly as sheepish and stupid as most Americans are. I say this as an American.

18. Happybunny, Jan 13, 2013

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I would say just by reading this that you have never traveled in mainland Europe.

I will give you 15% of that argument, Alamaba and California are in the same country and have the same government, speak the same language and use the same money. The FBI and the ATF are in both states, the citizens of both states join the US Armed Forces. So yes if we tend to lump all US states into one big pile there is a good reason, it is called the UNITED States of America.

But this is why your idea is wrong.
    France and Greece share only membership of the European Community, along with 27 other countries. They are divided by more than 2000 years of very seperate history, including some of the worst wars in history. Most of their langauges are totally different, also their laws are totally different, their governments are completely different, and it is only in the last 10 years that they use the same money.
    All countries of Europe have a seat at the UN, all countries of Europe have their own Armed Forces, issue their own postage stamps.

That's the very big difference they are Countries and Alamaba and California are just states in a big Country.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So true. I noticed the same in Europe. People are intelligent and also far more physically fit. People are well-spoken and don't say "like" all the time. People seem generally happier and more friendly.

And before somebody says, "Well, if you like it so much, move", to you I say no way. This is my home too. We need to start working together to make it better, or we're going to all pay the price. We need to start looking at pragmatic solutions to problems, whether those solutions fit our ideology or not.

20. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Maybe before WWII.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You might be right to a small extent, e.g. on foreign travel, however bear in mind that when one travels one mostly interacts with the upper middle class and rich - who are generally well-spoken and understand other cultures more as they can afford to visit other cultures and go to museums and stuff.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well you might and if you think the "upper middle class and rich" are generally well spoken and understand other cultures I've got some very bad news for you.In fact as a tourist the most likely people you'll interact with are workers,that is unless you only speak to other tourists.(PS a large number of museums and "stuff" in Europe especially are free and you'll find a wide variety of people).

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Months of traveling, 17 countries-- or more, depending on who you ask ;)

But, I'm wondering how many states in the U.S. you have been to if you think they are all the same ;)

Some people in the U.S. are still fighting the civil war.

But, the point you really miss is that every state in the U.S. has a separate government. When people ask why the U.S. doesn't do this or that, they don't realize that government is very decentralized in the U.S. Although, less so since 9/11.

Some languages are totally different (Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian) but vast majority are native Indo-European speakers.

Well, that is what the EU is for, isn't it?

Maybe you have noticed how "States Rights" rears its head in every political discussion? There are bigger differences between California and Alabama than you realize, and, even bigger differences between urban California or New York and the rural South. The gap between urban and rural U.S. today is as stark as the gap between North and South was 60 years ago.

[​IMG]

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

People here discuss the topics that are posted.

25. G51989, Jan 13, 2013

G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I agree. I find Europeans to be more fit, nicer, smarter, more willing to help others, they are not paranoid, they are more caring, and far more willing to meet new people and understand them.

Most Americans ( and I say this as an American ) as the type who line up for try the latest mcRib, buy the latest iCrap device, consume garbage at wal mart, get fat, be ugly, be lazy, and be content with that. Then they see mass shootings at schools, and think more guns can fix it, when the rest of the world has proved them wrong.

----------

Thing is, in most of Western Europe, the ' super poor " that exist in the US, do not exist in Europe.\

I'll say it, there are exceptions, but is the average Western European, Smarter, More fit, more informed, less, paranoid, more productive, and less hateful than the Average American? Yes.

Europeans care far more about their fellow Man than Americans do, Americans are all about " Protect me and no one else ", explains why in good Europe, you see much better healthcare, education, physical fitness, world awareness, better maintenance of infrastructure, ect.

America is a country that has allowed the super rich to buy everything, including the government. I can't wait to get out of this 3rd world dump.

http://aattp.org/an-inside-look-at-oath-keepers-a-right-wing-domestic-terrorist-organization/

Point Proven.