Are there 1 million people that don't care if Michael Phelps smoked weed?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tveric, Feb 14, 2009.

1. tveric macrumors 6502

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

promoting a facebook group?

isnt that against the rules here?

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I always find that online petitions, Facebook groups and the like are fantastic ways to influence those in a position of authority.

I'd be highly surprised if the various sports governing bodies don't amend their rules on drug taking with immediate effect once that group hits a million members...

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That page should be renamed " 1 million random people who also smoke weed". ;):rolleyes:

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What was the uhh, *setting down Michael Phelps autographed bong* uhh, the question? :D

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I'm just against celebrities getting away with stuff that regular Joe wouldn't. I don't care about the individual in this case. Though it's probably not the best thing to be doing as a role model. *shrugs*

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Did someone ask him to do this roll-model BS??

Well, maybe his sponsors, then I guess they own his ass, via contract.

8. Lau Guest

Rye-Bread-Bun_0_0_A4Z5.jpg Loaf-of-Bread_0_0_A4Z3.jpg

:confused:

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

11. calculus Guest

calculus

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

... whichever way you slice it.

13. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

A regular person wouldn't have to deal with this after being photographed taking a hit. Even if the cops saw a picture of some random person taking a hit, it wouldn't be an issue unless they caught them in the act.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is that a fried roll?? [​IMG]

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Who is Michael Phelps? And are there more than six billion people who don't care whether anyone cares if Michael Phelps smoked weed?

16. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

If this were you in the photo you would have gotten off WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY easier than he did..

I don't smoke pot, don't condone anyone that does, and think that with everybody in the world armed with a cell phone camera these days the least people in the public eye could do is be a bit more careful when they're out partying- but c'mon folks- it's weed.. Big deal.. He's 23 years old, just got done a grueling training regimen that took years of his life and required incredible discipline, desire, and determination.. So he went to a college party and took a hit off of a bong.. Big deal.. I know, I'm gonna get flamed with people telling me how wrong I am.. Trust me, I know the dangers of marijuana- I get the whole "gateway drug" thing- really, I do.. Yes, I smoked pot in college from time to time- as did most of the people I went to class with.. We all managed to survive and become upstanding members of society- most of us even wound up successful..lol.. Hell, some of us even got caught by our parents or teachers, but none of us ever had to lose a million dollar endorsement deal because of it..

My point is, most of us have done it- he's not proud of it- but he's paid his price..I just don't think this makes him an animal or a bad person like some people in the media are projecting him to be.. Some of my best friends that were major potheads back in the day have grown up and become very successful businessmen as well as loving husbands (&wives) & wonderful fathers (yes, mothers too)..

He's not getting preferential treatment because he's a celebrity- quite the opposite..

17. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Big whoop. He smoked grass. So take away his job and kick him when he is down, and never let him get back up. The cost to him of this small misadventure is astronomical. However, his endorsements are in a market in which personal image is everything, so I can see why advertisers are bailing out on him. But it is still a very high, and I believe unfair, price for him to pay for such a small law violation and insignificant "moral" trespass. I will be attending a motivational seminar in Sacramento next week, at which he was supposed to speak. It is still uncertain whether they will allow him to appear. If he shows, I will stand up and cheer when he walks on stage.

18. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

With this whole happenstance, haha funny word, I feel like there is a huge underlying hypocritical attitude about the whole thing.

No one wants to admit that they dont give a damn. Well a lot of people actually, but the parents and the big corporations, "oh no, weeeeeeed!" bad.

Kellogs dropped his sponsor, now people are calling them (at this number 1800-962-1413) to tell them it's stupid that they dropped him.
    If you call the NUmber it'll be like press 1 if you are calling regarding micheal phelps, press 2 regarding salmonela.

This country needs to learn that marijuana is no big deal, completely natural, and just fine in moderation. It is much healthier than alcohol, and honestly, when was the last time you heard of someone getting stoned and going and killing or fighting someone.

THere.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Are there 1 million people that don't care if Michael Phelps smoked weed?

I don't care.

I don't put sports people on pedestals anyway, but what he does has nothing to do with me. I can however understand why some people - parents and teachers perhaps - who may take issue with his recent activity.

20. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The dude hs 8 GOLD medals and all the press can dig up on this guy is him with a bong.
    I would have found a story on the worlds largest green bean more interesting.

21. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

a sample of college students. hell no they don't care.

22. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Hahahaha. No.
    The only thing "natural" about it, is the fact that it's a plant.:rolleyes:

23. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

And the fact is that people who do a bit of dope and drive - kill people and moderation will not help.

Alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, morphine - could all be classed as natural but all have interesting effects on a persons mind. Harmless - none of them are.

As for Michael - well his sponsors pay him to do a job and part of that is to be a clean cut American hero and role model. If he is caught taking illegal drugs - well for him there will be fall out.
    No one forced him to sign up to be a good boy - he just thought he could get away with being a bit naughty.

24. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

<inhales>

It seems the only thing more unrealistic than the "role model" expectations placed on celebrity athletes are the knee-jerk apologies and overkill therapeutic retreats they seclude themselves into.

Really, if I uttered an apology so soon after an event, it would be in remorse to being caught, NOT performing the act.

<exhales>

<puts down bong>

No, his post-olympic sponsors paid him endorsement fees so they can ride on his celebrity coattails. His pre-olympic sponsors gambled on exposure they'd get as an attachment to his road to success. It's very arguable that they received adequate return on that investment.