Are there actual bi people?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Feb 6, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Are there actual bisexual people?

- If people where true bisexual would they not have a hard time keeping a relationship with a single man or women? Would they not lust the same or opposite sex?

- Now i know that your thinking a straight man in a relationship might lust other women, but i believe that ^ is a bit different.

- Bisexuals are they just bi curious no matter what sexual orientation they are?

* Anyways i have no problem with the sexual orientation of anybody, I am not trying to hurt anyone, or offend anyone.

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

If you're not trying to offend anyone, try not to portrait bisexuals as sluts unable to be faithful.

As for the question itself, if one can like the same or opposite sex, it makes sense that one can like both too.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yes, there are bi people. Actually most people aren't 100% straight or 100% gay.

Why would someone who is bi and in a relationship lust more for someone else than a straight person in a straight relationship? You say it's not the same, but why?

I don't get your last question.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes, there are.

Bisexuality has nothing to do with fidelity, nor the want or need to act out on someone they are in a relationship with. It means that they are attracted to people of both sexes. It does not mean that they must have or must want both at the same time.

See above about fidelity. A bisexual man might lust after another man or another woman, but if they are monogamous or in a committed relationship, the point is moot. They would stay with their partner for whatever reasons they have.

Bisexuals are exactly that. They are attracted to and have no qualms with having sex with either gender.

No.. It sounds like you're asking honest questions and are just wanting more information. It is when personal preferences and fears/paranoias because of <insert reason here> come into play, that the crazies come out.

BL.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why would you imagine that, because a person might be equally comfortable having a sexual experience with either gender, they would automatically be less able than heterosexuals or homosexuals to control themselves?

6. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have a good friend who is bi. Frankly it doesn't matter. Whomever makes her happy should be the end goal. If it is a man, great If it is a woman, awesome.

The fact is, as pointed out, most are actually attracted in some form the same sex at some point and in some manner.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yeah I guess the last question doesn't work, it can only work if Bisexuality isn't an actual sexuality because therefor there would only be Heterosexuality and Homosexuality.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Loyalty is the same for everyone. Sometimes its a bitch other times its the best thing that ever happended to you.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

As anjinhamarota points out, sexuality is a spectrum, not a binary phenomenon. Most of us find ourselves attracted to people of either gender at some point, but self-image, social convention, peer pressure or the desire for a simple life make us reject those feelings in favour of a less ambivalent orientation.

10. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Where is the offense? People need to quit this politically correct BS. Yes, the OP makes points that people who are not bisexual may wonder about. It ain't offensive...

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, there are bi people. My first BF was bi.

I find the fascination with monogamy in this country strange though. I've been in monogamous and open relationships, and by far the best ones were open. So if I ever dated someone who was bi again, they would be free to sleep with whoever they wanted, as long as they were safe. A relationship should not be a jail cell.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's really not just "this country," though... humans fall into a continuum of mating behaviors among animals, but we fall fairly towards the monogamous side of the spectrum. I think it's great if there's more support for open relationships for people who want them, but some of us just aren't wired that way, and we end up being the ones who get hurt in the process, if people just act like fidelity "isn't natural."

That being said, bisexuals, especially bisexual men, face a lot of antipathy from society here (I think women and men face different prejudices... when men are bisexual here, it's viewed as indecent, but when women are bisexual, people tend to act with the expectation that their encounters with other women exist for the purpose of gratifying heterosexual men, rather than themselves).

That certainly tempers what we can even know about their sexuality, since many of them can't feel comfortable talking about what they actually think.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- people can do what they want. But for myself, I find the whole notion of fidelity and "cheating" to be useless. For god's sake, sex with one person, no matter how much you love them, gets boring after a time. Ain't nothin' wrong getting something else once in a while, as long as you're honest about it.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Unless he's arguing that if you're bisexual, there could theoretically be twice as many temptations out there - but yeah, either you control your urges or you don't. I don't see how your sexual orientation makes that any different.

And as long as you're partner's okay with it.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yep it gets boring after a while, or in some cases, pretty soon. But relationships are more than sex. And for most people, it's not worth hurting your partner just to get laid with a new bit of meat. Don't get me wrong I'd love to call up Lucy Liu.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course.

Christ! Does no one understand what I'm saying? I'm not saying go run around and lie to your partner.

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I don't think telling the truth would make it ok either ;)

I think mono relationships are the norm because it's natural for people to feel possessive, jealous, insecure etc when it comes to the people they love.

19. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I think I understand. I have some work buddies that are in open marriages, and from a purely rational standpoint, I understand why. Unfortunately I'm not a purely rational person, and if my wife had sex with another man, I'd be devastated (and vice versa). The emotion makes no sense, and I understand it's likely the result of thirty one years of societal 'values' drilled into my brain, but regardless the reason, it's there, and there's not a lot I can do about it now.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then we have different ideas about what love means. I don't think any of those things have anything to do with love. They have more in common with selfishness, but that's just me.

21. JBazz macrumors 6502

I believe sexuality is more of a sliding scale, rather than an either/or.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Straight people may wonder about it too. There's nothing about bisexuality that makes them wonder more.

I don't think his point was that it would go ok if you were in an monogamous relationship, slept with someone else and then told your partner. But if both people in the relationship talk about it beforehand and agree with it what wouldn't be ok about that?

That just doesn't work that way.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

This talk about monogamous relationships stirred up an ancient memory of some poet gal who dreamed a poem of grand importance. She roused and wrote it down, and went back to sleep. Came morning and she went to read her magnum opus:

"Higgamus, hoggamus, women monogamous;
    Hoggamus, higgamus, men are polygamous."

Basic biological hardwiring; that's generally true. Not much magnum in that opus. :D

Anyway, yeah, there are bi- folks. One whom I've known for (mumble, mumble) years had even done basic planning about eventually going straight and raising a family. Yup, wife and three kids. And I've known a couple of bi- gals, including a buddy's wife--and it never seemed a problem. Her problem was that he was a slob around the house.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think a more accurate statement would be that people are more concerned with projecting their own inadequacies on others than confronting difficult issues from a problem-solving mindset. Most of the traditional "rules" in relationships stem from a deep-seated lack of internal consistency and a piping hot serving of special pleading.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ain't that the truth?