Are there any bad sides of the Mid 2009 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roanmu, Oct 27, 2009.

1. roanmu macrumors newbie

So, I'm buying a 13 inch MBP after a lot of consideration of my options. The $1099 one plus the $90 for 4GB of RAM.

I've read a lot of negative things about the previous MBPs with Nvida gm8400 (or what it was), but not so much about this one. So before I make the plunge, are there any bad sides of the current MBP 13 inch? I don't mind the design, so that's not a negative thing for me.

Thanks =)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is nothing bad about the 13" MBP. If you asked me in October 2008 I would have said the screen was total crap, thus why I exchanged and bought a MB Air. However, today, the 13" MBP and the display it now uses it fantastic. The only downside to me personally is I really want a matte option.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^ That's my only gripe too - the glassy gloss.

Another which is hit or miss is the SATA hdd/ssd issue which you can read extensively about in the 1.7 firmware thread.

I haven't had any problems and have had four different HDD/SSD's in my machine.

4. roanmu thread starter macrumors newbie

^
    But that 1.7 firmware thing are only for those who have installed HDDs AFTER they got it updated by the looks of it? I don't plan on changing mine.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe so. Don't worry, you should be just fine. It's a great machine. I'm considering a purchase this week.

6. roanmu thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for your replies!

I have one final question, I'm going to buy this at the Apple Store in SF, will they be able to install more memory and a larger HDD than the 160GB it comes with?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe for BTO/CTO machines you must order online. That machine has the easiest RAM / HDD upgrade accessibility ever. I would do it yourself and save the money.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A bad side? Sure. Sometimes when my MBP goes out drinking, it comes home and slaps me around. The next morning it apologizes and says it will stop--but it never does.

9. roanmu thread starter macrumors newbie

BTO/CTO??
    Ah, but then I might encounter that 1.7 firmware thingy ;)

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Configured to order would be the only way to upgrade your HDD and RAM through Apple if you choose to. If you decide to purchase a larger HDD and more RAM (cheaper option), unless you know someone at the Apple Store, they won't do it for you. Apple Stores do not upgrade HDD's and RAM.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

BTO = Built to order
    CTO = Configured to order

12. roanmu thread starter macrumors newbie

13. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

but can use certified apple repair centers to install it and keep apple warranty -- just keep receipt from an authorized apple location

Still, they've made ram and the HD soooo easy to change now, good move on their part til this latest move from removal battery

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

The new ones aren't that bad. Pretty much the same as the Late-2008 models. You just move the bottom plate and you have access to pretty much everything.

15. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

save the money and buy memory/hd online. its dead easy to replace in all unibody macbooks/macbook pros now.

16. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

The downside is that it is so awesome that ALMOST every other laptop is pretty much crap by contrast. I think that the 13" MBP is the best laptop that Apple has ever made in terms of quality/price/portability/performance.

17. Nuge macrumors newbie

Screen is a fingerprint magnet and it gets smeared pretty easily, that's pretty much the only cons I could think of.

18. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I bought june 2009 13" mbp and I just love it. Not one problem. I installed Snow Leopard on it and haven't had one issue. I tend not to touch the screen but if the screen does get a smudge or some dust on it I use a microfiber cloth to clean it. Since June I've only cleaned the screen once with a liquid. I used a little water on my microfiber cloth and it was clean as new.

I bought the 2.26Ghz stock machine and installed a scorpio blue 500GB drive in it, plus 4 GB of ram. Really pleased with my purchase. I showed it to some friends who own dells and now they are saving for one of these.

19. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I thought RAM and HDD/SDD were parts that if changed by the end user, did not violate any warranty guarantee ?

20. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Not a single issue. Only thing I wish I had, was an Express card slot instead of the SD. Screen, body, trackpad, speed, and battery life are simply amazing on this thing.

21. waynechriss macrumors regular

Ha ha, i think its safe to say that this doesn't happen too often.

22. MBPro825 macrumors member

23. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Are there any bad sides of the Mid 2009 MBP

Yes, a huge one for me currently.........

I dont own one yet.

Seriously from using my father's it may become my favorite laptop from Apple since my trusty Pismo.

24. Smoothie macrumors 6502

It's not a touchscreen. Keep your hands on the keyboard and admire yourself in the glossy screen.

25. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I bought the original unibody Macbook 13 right after the Steve Jobs keynote when they were introduced. The screen was garbage and I complained bitterly about it. Other users complained about the lack of firewire. Others bemoaned the lack of a card reader. A few of us who got the first runs of the machines even ended up with slanted keyboard keys and loose battery covers. To top that all off, later when the 17 inch unibody was introduced, we yearned for the longer lasting battery.

And you know what? Apple actually agreed. They fixed everything that we complained about and have turned this MBP 13 into pretty much the perfect entry level Macbook.

It's pretty much flawless. My only minor criticism is that Bootcamp drivers still suck, even with Snow Leopard's 3.0 update. But if you never have to touch Windows, this thing borders on perfection.