Are there any benefits to pairing an Iphone 4 to a PC via BT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by C5Longhorn, Jun 3, 2011.

1. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

My Iphone is not jail broken and I do not have a tethering contract with AT&T. Are there any benefits to establishing a BT connection and pairing my Iphone 4 to my laptop? I can't think of any offhand.

I thought maybe it would work for internet overseas when I don't have wifi but do have a ethernet connection. But I realized that would be setting up an ad hoc network connection and using Wifi.

Haven't found any benefits to pairing so far. I would appreciate any comments or experiences with this.

Rick

2. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

If you are going to carry your laptop, it just makes sense to also carry an apple USB cable. IT weights absolutely nothing to carry it with you but you can

a) charge your iphone
    b) backup your iphone to the laptop
    c) transfer files
    d) usb tethering (faster and less battery use vs wifi)

etc etc

People are all about "wireless" these days, but wired solutions still are better for certain things

for example using an aux cable to connect your phone to your car stereo vs using FM transmitter ( quality is night and day)

3. C5Longhorn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input. I agree completely. An usb cable and a plug charger are standard items in my laptop bag. I don't have a jailbroken phone and don't have a tethering contract, so I don't do that. But, I've yet to see any value with a BT connection.

4. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

You didn't answer the OP's original question.
    What can you do through BT when paired to an iPhone?
    I was wondering the same thing myself. :cool:

5. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

if you are not jailbroken = not much

the only thing the iphone supports in its native bluetooth connection is

a) audio
    b) handsfree headsets
    c) keyboards

no data transfers