Are there any drawbacks of updating the firmware of a 5,1 to the latest firmware?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by needtoupgrademacpro, Dec 1, 2018.

1. needtoupgrademacpro macrumors newbie

So i'm just curious as to any issues that may arise when updating the firmware of a 5,1 to thr latest version (i believe it's 140)?

So far I've read that this process is irreversible so i want to proceed with caution before going ahead

2. zedex macrumors member

zedex

For the record - my start-up 'chime' has gone ever since I updated my firmware. I've read that some forum posters experienced this and then got it back BUT I'm not sure what resolved the issue for them. It's a minor issue but I felt I should list it..

3. t8er8, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

t8er8 macrumors regular

t8er8

Just a heads up, I’m almost positive it’s not irreversible because of Dosdudes rom flashing tools like ROMTool and ROMDump. They can flash your bootrom older backed up versions, if you want to be extra safe, you can use romdump tosave your current bootrom version.

Edit: it seems ROMDump isnt on dosdudes website anymore, if you want a download link I can PM ya

4. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

IMO, there should be no fear to update the firmware to 140.0.0.0.0. I have read of no one having issues related to the FW after updating. I have updated with no issues.

Lou

5. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Because ROMTool provide BOTH dump and flash function. Therefore, no need to maintain / update ROMDump anymore.

6. USmacs macrumors newbie

The only caveat I've found is that my external ASD boot drives now are all named "EFI Boot" in startup manager instaed of what they are called. Which is a PIA for me and is why I haven't updated my personal machine.