Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Hey guys!

Does anyone know of any dual hard drive enclosures that accepts portable hard drives with a USB port built in like the Western Digital Passport? Essentially I'm looking for a dock that I could pop two of those type of drives into, mirror them both with my iTunes (music) and iPhoto (photos) folders, then be able to grab one of the two when I travel to keep it with me in case my house burns down or gets robbed while I'm gone -- so one of the copies stays at home and the other goes with me just to be safe.

Not interested in regular dual hard drive enclosures for SATA drives because you can't plug the removable drives right into a computer with a USB cable and I want to be able to do that with my MacBook (like with any external HDD like the WD Passport).

Know of any solutions? Thanks in advance!

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Are there really no solutions? What about a really simple cloud solution that "just works"?? Is there a very reliable and fast cloud service out there where recovery is easy (like they mail you a hard drive with all the files on it) where I could backup my now 400GB (and growing) iTunes folder?

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Since you already have a device with a USB interface (that's the hard part sorted), why not get a USB hub and just plug them both in?

Apple!Fre@k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
Since you already have a device with a USB interface (that's the hard part sorted), why not get a USB hub and just plug them both in?

Would do that but I don't want to run another USB line from my computer. The way I have it setup now, everything is perfectly zip tied and setup and it would be a nightmare to have to run a new line. So question is, is there a hub which will accept a mini-USB incoming because that's what I have running to the HDD right now?

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Apple!Fre@k said:
So question is, is there a hub which will accept a mini-USB incoming because that's what I have running to the HDD right now?

I don't understand. Are you saying that you want a hub that accepts mini-USB connectors for the downstream ports? The WD passport has a mini-USB on the drive side but a full size plug on the computer end so a normal hub should work fine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
That's why I don't buy WD external drives, because the mechanism is not standard and can't be reused wherever you want.

Also, because you can't upgrade the case with whatever internal drive you buy of that size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.