Are there any fans of adult contemporary or easy listening music?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Mar 13, 2011.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Yanni. John Tesh. Joe Bonamassa. Michael Buble. Michael Bolton. John Botti. Kenny G.

Is this music?

I don't for a second doubt that any of these people lack musical ability. I just question their taste. But in defense of them, there's certainly a paying audience, largely middle-aged women, who love these artists.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

I love Yanni (some).

My favorite CD of all time is Live at the Acropolis. I'm not quite as much a fan of his piano music, but definitely am a fan of Yanni.

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Ah the eternal question, "is it music" - a bit like 'Is it art? Its not my cup of tea but at least they appear to be able to sing.

Who are we to judge, it certainly beats a lot of pop thats out there these days that really does all sound the same with replaceable singers and group members and indistinguishable backing tracks.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I don't like the music industry machine that cranks out pop music with sound-alike stars, but I would rather listen to Justin Bieber sing (who I don't consider very original) than let's say Joe Bonamassa. And where Yanni can probably kill Lady Gaga on the keys, her lady-ness is still more interesting to listen to.

There's this guy, who I can't think of, who is a popular public TV star who is always on the boob tube playing violin, and he is the most boring to me. Again, I like Sonic Youth and Neil Young, so they wouldn't appeal to the same crowd that flocks to this violin guy or John Tesh. Anyway, what's great is that there is variety.

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Exactly - variety is the spice of life - even if some of it is crap

6. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I think some people are just happy to listen to 'lowest common denominator' music. But isn't that my definition?

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Michael Buble rocks and is one of the best concerts I've ever been to. The man is a serious entertainer and his show was filled with fun and self deprecating humor. I wouldn't even put musicians like him or Harry Connick Jr. in the same category as Yanni, Tesh, or Bolton. Buble and Connick are more of a continuation of the Rat Pack (Big Band, Lounge, Swing, etc.) than they are "easy listening".

And just for clarification, I'm not a middle aged woman. ;)

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Chris Botti, Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett are among my favs. Like me some instrumental jazz musicians as well some of the gals like Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, etc. I realize that probably counts more in the jazz genre but that's about the limit I'll go when it comes to adult contemporary or easy listening.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Easy listening is good sometimes. I like the more electronica-type stuff.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Please elaborate. I'm curious to know what easy listening, electronica-type stuff you're referring to? Sounds kind of interesting:)

11. oilers15 macrumors regular

oilers15

Michael buble is amazing.

btw i also am not a women or middle aged :D

12. piano-teacher macrumors newbie

13. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Almost like Moby, kinda, although he probably isn't easy listening, more like just electronica. Music is hard to place into genres, often they span several.