Are there any more ways to upgrade my Late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lhlee96, Jul 7, 2009.

1. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

I have a 2.53 GHz uMBP (Late 2008) with 4GB of RAM 1067 MHz DDR3 and I was wondering if there were any other ways to upgrade my MBP?
    I heard the new June 2009 MBPs can have 8GB RAM and 3.06 GHz. I am a gamer, so I am looking for improving my game's speed- basically the overall smoothness of the game.

Also, does anyone have the InvisibleSHIELD for the MBP? Is it a good investment?

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally do not recommend using an InvisibleShield. In my experience, it just traps dirt under the so-called shield.

Your MBP can be unofficially upgraded to 6GB of RAM I believe. Have you considered a SSD?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You can always upgrade the hard drive, but that's lengthy and doesn't improve performance much. Plus, it may void your warranty if you don't have a unibody macbook pro.

Probably your best bet if you're looking for more FPS's would be to sell the one you have, use the cash, and buy a dell with the same or better specs for less money.

4. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

6gb Ram

Well, if I do upgrade it to 6GB of RAM, will it void my warranty with Apple? And just wondering, but what is an SSD?

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

He said he had a unibody in the first post so the process only takes a few minutes.

Edit - No, upgrading the RAM will not void your warranty. A SSD is a solid slate drive, which are much faster than traditional hard drives.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hard drive upgrades do NOT void the warranty. You void the warranty if you break anything when you're in there, but at no other time.

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

+ for that

8. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

=/ Eheheh. I'm a girl, actually.
    So, can I do this at my local Apple reseller? The 6GB RAM upgrade, I mean?

9. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

But the only reason why I bought a MBP in the first place was because I wanted to use Mac OS X and because the uMBPs are much sleeker looking that the clunky Dell laptops.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, just do it yourself. You'll actually have money left in your bank account.

11. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

I'm definitely not the smartest lightbulb. I'll go check out the store tomorrow, I guess. Thanks for your help! =)

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, heavens; it's just RAM! :)

Here: www.ifixit.com follow the tutorials for your model on here.

Trust me, you'll be coming back from the store begging to know how to do it yourself.

13. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Okay, I guess I can take a shot. :) Also, can you upgrade your GHz? I know I'm taking it a little over the edge...but curiosity is fine, isn't it?

14. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Nope, you cannot upgrade the processor. The only two things you can upgrade without voiding your warranty is the RAM and the hard drive.

15. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

How much can the Hard Drive memory go up to for the Late 2008 uMBP?

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

A rough estimate... $90-$800 USD. $90-$150 range for hard drives, $500-$800 range for solid slate drives.

17. lhlee96 thread starter macrumors member

lhlee96

Hmm. Wait, I'm confused.
    How much GB can a Hard Drive have (SSD and normal HD) and for how much? (The maximum GB and price for it, please- I'm going for maxing out my MBP)

and I know I can get 6 GB for the RAM, so how much is that, basically? I have 4 GB now.

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

For 6GB, you'd have to buy a 4GB stick to add your existing 2GB. Looking at prices from Newegg, here's a rough estimate.

4GB, 512GB SSD, 256GB SSDs, 500GB HDD's.

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68000

turbineseaplane

Get an SSD

I have the exact same MBP from late 08.

Mine has an OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb in it and it SCREAMS. It is a life altering difference. Things open instantly and it's SOOO snappy.

Once you go SSD, you won't go back.

The Vertex is awesome, but if you're buying now, get the latest model called the Summit, which has 2x the onboard cache and is even FASTER at everything.

My $0.02

20. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

All your performance issues have been addressed so far, so let me comment on the invisible shield.

I'm using one on my 13" unibody macbook. I really like it. It has a non-residue adhesive on the back that prevents dirt and other things from getting in between the computer and the shield itself.

My only caution is that you must watch the video on zagg's website before you attempt to install it. I did not and didn't do such a great job the first time around. Use LOTS of "installation solution" when putting it on so you can reposition it and have time to get the bubbles out.

Otherwise, it's great. Sticks well, makes the aluminum grippier and Safari snappier ;)

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Because the current limit on Hard drives is 500GB (thats the biggest drive for laptops out there), 500GB is the biggest hard drive you can get. However, there is no limit how big your hard drive can be.

Also, better performance can also be achieved by using a Solid State Drive (SSD), rather than a Hard Disk Drive (HDD or HD) since an SSD does not use moving parts and is up to 150% faster (or more) in many cases.

However, the prices for these drives might leave a dent in your pocket.

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I laughed at this. Did you mean it or did it just come out that way?