Are there any PCIe eSATA cards that run with OSX 10.6.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by suttonsam, Jan 4, 2010.

1. suttonsam macrumors newbie

I have a (Dec 09) Mac Pro 8 Core and want to connect it to a external: Quad-bay drive enclosure via eSATA. The drive bay is an: 'ProAvio EditBOX 4 PM'. The UK Apple Store does not list any PCi cards that are compatible with Snow Leopard. All I have found is the: Sonnet Tempo-e PCIe eSATA II E4P Expansion Card (20 External) which costs £220/$355 - Rather expensive!!

Does anyone know of alternative PCIe eSATA cards that are cheaper and run with OSX 10.6.2?

Thanks*

2. jmggs macrumors regular

jmggs

Try a Lacie eSATA card. i have one on my 2006 macpro with 10.6.2.
    They are good, cheap and works on PC and MAC.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Just put this in my machine over the weekend works great under 64bit 10.6.2 never tried it 32bit but I imagine it works there equally as well.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Firmtek/SATA2SE2E/

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could use a SIL3132 based card (really inexpensive example), and Silicon Image has Beta drivers (stated for 10.6 & 10.6.2 and they're basic: no RAID functions at all).

There is one user having problems with it (internal + external configuration), but I'm not yet sure what the problem is, as it was working initially. But it's the least expensive card by far. The 4 port versions (that I linked is only a 2 port card, and the additional ports are to be configured, such as all internal, all external or a 1+1 configuration) are quite expensive ($200USD).

The LaCie suggested above is a SIL3132 model I think (they do have one), as the expensive one is a 4 port version.

5. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I'm running the Sonnet Tempo E2P PCI eSATA card in slot 3 of my Mac Pro 1,1 and it works perfectly with Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Sonnet Temp E2P $43 at Amazon

Mark

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I guess that must be me. :p
    But the point is, it was never working with the SIL drivers! None of the ports. The bundled driver was the first that enabled the ports. Unfortunately this driver does not work with SL properly, which results in kernel panics as soon as the connected drive is stressed.

I've got a little work to do at the moment, so I can't test it again before the end of January. But I will definitely keep you up to date!

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

I was wondering when you'd find your way into this thread. :D :p

Sorry about the confusion. I thought you had it working with the Beta drivers initially as well, not just the included driver in OS X.

BTW, what was the version of SL when you had functionality?
    I'm wondering if it's an update to 10.6.2 that broke it, as the Beta drivers don't mention compatibility with 10.6.2, and if it failed under that one, still in testing, or just not updated (if passed in their testing). :confused:

I'd like to get this sorted, as many are wanting an inexpensive eSATA card, and the 4 port models are rather pricey. I do recall the card you have didn't work initially, as the existing drivers at the time (Leopard) failed. Then the Beta drivers dropped, and I was under the impression it was working from that point on.

If this isn't the case, or it's going to be yes, no, yes, no (drivers work then break with updates), it may be best to only recommend it to '06 - '08 owners. I hope this isn't the case, so I'm looking foward to getting a solution to this. $200USD is too much just to get a working eSATA port (and it won't even boot with OS X :rolleyes:).

8. bkspero macrumors regular

32 bit kernel

The OWC website has a SIL 3132 based card which they say works with Snow Leopard, but only running the 32 bit kernel. Does that have any relevance to the issues that Trans is experiencing with the card not working in his system? Also, I have read many places here that for most systems running less than, say, 32 gigs of memory, there is no difference between the 32 bit kernel and the 64 bit kernel. Do you all agree with that, and, if not, what do you believe the impact is?

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

That only works under 32bit I replaced it with the card that I linked too, it definitely works well enough if you don't care to boot/run 64bit.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you may also want to check out a new card from Highpoint - the Rocket 622 - it's a simple 2-port eSATA card and can be had over these shores for about $50 and supports 10.6 out of the box....oh yeah!

11. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Not to mention SATA III.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm seeing it go for $75USD so far. Nice find BTW.

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I ordered one from Newegg for $49.99 - it arrived today actually...I have not installed in in the Mac Pro yet though as I am in the middle of a busy week. Perhaps on the weekend I'll do my 10.6 upgrade and install the card....oh yeah!

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: Please let us know how it goes. :)

15. slater-k macrumors regular

Hi nanofrog, i've ordered that really inexpensive card (£10 inc postage) from ebay, but it's yet to arrive ... i'll update you once it's here and i've got it in (probably using the new Sonnet driver)

16. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Sonnet driver is the way to go as it's the only one working with these cards (at least with 10.6.1).
    I didn't try 10.6.2 because of some serious RAID issues of this release, but it would be nice if you could keep us up to date. :)

17. slater-k macrumors regular

I certainly will ... would be nice if these cards can provide a cheap esata route for everyone

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know I mentioned the Sonnet drivers via link. ;) I'm really glad they worked, and offers an inexpensive 2 port eSATA option. :D Personally, I wouldn't trust 10.6.2, and would advise waiting on 10.6.3 (out for testing now, according to the MR front page a <couple of days ago IIRC>) until there's confirmation it's OK with RAID. (Some SSD's seem to be affected as well). :(

19. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I got a super-cheap eSATA card from Monoprice. It is product 3581 and costs less than $15. With the drivers from Silicon Image, it works fine under Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I did get one kernel panic, but it was user error - trying to disconnect while the drive was powered up.

This isn't a high-end solution, but I use my Mac Pro (2009 Octo) for scientific computing, and it's fine for me.

20. eemzah macrumors member

I got myself a cheap Taiwanese brand called Apiotek with a SiL3132 chipset. Its running on Silicon Images latest beta drivers for OS 10.6. So far everything is working except for RAID which I don't need.

21. nanofrog macrumors G4

It could matter, so what are your exact system specs (OS and system model #)?

22. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I have a MacPro4,1 (dual Quad core Xeon 2.26GHz), 16GB RAM, running 10.6.2. Don't know about eemzah's Mac Pro.

23. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Seems as if these cheap SIL3132 cards are not exactly the same as they all require different drivers.

Very confusing! :confused:

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

Most I've seen appear to follow the same reference design. But I'm thinking there are different revisions of the SIL3132, and that may be the difference (i.e. one of the P/N's is SIL3132R5).

Unfortunately, they don't have a P/N list (i.e. due to different packages, RoHOS compliance <lead free, as it orininally appeared in '05 from the looks of it>, or design revisions), nor do they have a supplier list. I'd have to email, so it might be direct sales in the US.

25. eemzah macrumors member

My system:
    2.66 Quad Nehalem (Early 2009)
    OS 10.6.2

My HDD enclosure:
    Vantec Nexstar HDD dock single bay
    Vantec MX Dual Bay

Initially, the card wasn't working in Snow Leopard until Silicon Image release their beta drivers. Hope that helps.