Are there any proud 20" Aluminum iMac owners?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TantalizedMind, Jul 15, 2009.

1. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about getting an aluminum iMac in Sept when Snow Leopard releases. I sold my MBP.. which was supposed to be towards a new Mac... but I bought a new Ninja instead and the MBP money went towards my ridiculous insurance premium for the year. lol.

I really want a 24" but I don't want to drop the extra $300. Refurb is an option. As long as it wasn't scratched I wouldn't mine getting a refurb I guess. I currently use the older 17" Apple Studio Display and it's alright. But bigger and something widescreen is needed. 20" would be an improvement but not a HUGE one.

Which screen (20" or 24") has less backlighting issues?

Thanks guys!!

2. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Go with the 24 refurb. I always recommend them to all my friends and they are always perfect. My UMBP was refurb and it was flawless. In fact, some people lile them better because they have all the kinks worked out...

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The 24" is defiantly worth the extra money personally. You are also getting twice the RAM and Hard Drive space, not just the extra 4"'s. The screen is also better in the 24".

The refurbs are in great shape too.

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I was going to get the 24" and ended up seeing one before I ordered from Apple online. Depending on the location you want to use it, the 20" is just perfect. I know if I had just ordered the 24" I'd be very unhappy because of its size. I would suggest going somewhere and looking at both. See what fits your needs.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

24'' refurb. They come blemish free every time (at least from what I've heard and experienced).

6. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I have had both. Sadly the 24" is that much better. The 20" is just dull and the colors don't pop at all. The main thing that pisses me off is that Apple has put that damn 9400m chip in the iMacs. Even the base model 24". I would go with a 24" refurb for sure. You can usually find one for pretty cheap. The only downside is the RAM is a little slower and you can't upgrade to 8GB.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a 2008 20" and am very happy with it. I'm sure the 24" is even better but the 20" is wonderful for what I do, and really, I wouldn't use the extra space for anything.

8. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

This was one thing I considered. I sit close to my screen already. I thought the 24" might make me move my head not just eyes, lol. I wish they had sit down tables at the Apple Store. But I guess some people may never leave then. Haha! I really want to make the jump. Maybe I'll go next weekend and compare both sizes.

9. TantalizedMind thread starter macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I mean.. Apple is forcing me to upgrade, heh. Snow Leopard won't run on this G5! I really can't wait for that utility that will let you record on-screen video and sound in SL.

10. Pugpuppydude macrumors regular

I am completely pleased with my 20". I would have gotten a 24" but my computer sits on my kitchen table so I needed something a little smaller. If you are getting it for a desk or something then totally get the 24" though. One of the best screens on the market right now, more ram and bigger HDD. 24! Just depends on what you need it for and where you are putting it I guess..

11. mslide macrumors 6502a

I'm very happy with my late-2007 20" iMac. Sure, the 24" is better but for me an extra 4" inches was not worth the few hundred dollars it cost. I'm also no pro graphics designer or anything so I also didn't care about the better quality screen. I don't remember what else was different but whatever it was I didn't care.

Instead, I bought another 20ish inch external monitor to go along with the iMac. I figured for about the same price that I could have 2, 20" monitors or a single 24" one. The former sounded like a better deal to me.

12. TheCheapGeek macrumors 6502

I absolutely love my 20" late 2008 iMac no regrets at all.

13. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

24" gives you a lot of real-estate which is nice if you run a lot of programs at once. Mine is still working fine, no problems with it.

14. chhhrrriiisss macrumors 6502a

I am a proud owner! The 20" is plenty big for me!

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Don't be scared of a refurb....I've gotten a refurb ipod, Mini, and 24" iMac and they were all pristine. The only way you could tell they were a refurb was the box they came in.