Are there any surprises left at Apple, post Steve?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Feb 20, 2012.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

It seems like since Steve has left, Apple is leaking like a faucet.

If rumors are true (and they seem pretty strong and well sourced) there is almost nothing left to know about the iPad 3.

Also, Apple itself has leaked/released large amounts of info about upcoming OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. This is very un-apple.

Finally, we now hear that the next iPhone is out in Fall 2012.

Are these calculated leaks by Apple? Maybe they are trying to temper expectations from future "Keynotes" since steve is no longer involved and they will never be as powerful. Or maybe the culture of fear inside Apple has diminished post-Steve. Maybe it is a kinder gentler Apple with Tim at the helm (he even has Apple matching charitable donations- something Steve refused to do).

I used to be excited about Keynotes, but now I am thinking that the days of being surprised and delighted by Keynotes are in the past.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It's been like this for a while now. Why do you think this site exists?

Plus, they're rumors. You don't know these rumors to be fact until the keynote.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Holy hell, Steve was not Apple. They are not going to die without him...

4. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I don't feel like it has been as bad as it has been in the past year. I love rumors, but it seems much more pronounced lately. And what's up with Apple themselves revealing 10.8 details. Why not just do it at a Keynote? It could have been a big deal. Why did they announce it so quietly?

5. boshii, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

10.8 isn't that special and I can understand why they did it so quietly. There's nothing there that we haven't seen already. It's just in OSX now.

Imagine how boring that demo will be. :rolleyes:

Lion was also announced way ahead of launch, longer than the time between the 10.8 announcement and release.

6. JAT macrumors 603

Apple goes in waves on privacy. From super-secretive up to really scary. After the iPhone 4 found in bar debacle, Apple got really scary. They're relaxing a bit again. Look at more history than 1 year.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Errrr... do you not remember the iPhone 4 leak? That was the biggest Apple leak there ever was, IMO. We knew more about that than we now know about the iPad 3. Steve even made a joke about not going on if people had already seen this product in his keynote.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Exactly. This current bout of leaks isn't even as bad as the lost iPhone 4. If fact, it's not even as bad as the 4S leaks. Apple probably announced Mountain Lion to steal MSFTs thunder with their new OS launching later this year.

9. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I'm not concerned with surprises, I am just going to enjoy whatever products Apple provides us with.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Go back and check out this site before every product announcement - nothings changed.

11. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I reckon we'll get surprised with Siri on OS X Mountain Lion at the keynote for it.

At least, I hope so.

12. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Most of the rumors not all are logical deduction. Examples would be a better camera, faster processor, smaller bezel. So really is this Apple dropping info or just chatter? Time will tell.

13. Bulletoine macrumors newbie

Let us wait and see when iPhone 5 comes out.lol

14. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Will there be any reason to watch the keynote?

We already know everything from pricing to iPad smartcover to name of the iPad HD to new appletv.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Seriously? Gizmodo had a freaking iPhone 4 prototype on display 2 full months before it was announced.

Nothing much has really changed at Apple.....only your perception.

16. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I think you're steve blind because leaks have been happening for several years now. Mmmmmmm Koolaid.

17. crc4 macrumors member

Yes, the next iphone will only have a 3.5" screen :(

wait............................................... that wouldn't be a surprise, sorry. :D

18. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Are we talking about Apple? If anyone should have no surprises left, it would be Samsung, right?

Did anyone anticipate Mountain Lion? Nope. Did anyone anticipate Siri? No.

19. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm pretty sure Siri (the concept) was leaked long before the 4s was announced

20. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

..Ah. Well then these are just spoilers then. I see here that some publications did leak the voice assistant, but I hadn't heard about it- so I'm good.

21. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

If you don't like hearing about potential products before their officially announced by Apple, then perhaps not reading a site called MacRumors is a decent idea.

22. pat park macrumors 6502a

Siri was an app that was available in the app store before Apple purchased it.

23. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

24. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Yes, things have changed a little bit from when steve was around, but I think apple will continue to be the surprising company it is, Wednesdays event might be the biggest shock since he passed away because its the first keynote since then. But before we call the demise of apple, lets see if Tim Cook can keep the company as magical as it has been

25. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Truth be told, there will be a point where Apple will plateau. I'm guessing after 4 years this might happen. It's the business cycle, and at one point they'll plateau if they can't keep innovating.

What shocks me is that all these years Steve has been running the company amazingly, but he couldn't get a proper and younger right-hand man who he knew he could pass the company to confidently? Someone to keep up the Steve Jobs legacy?