Are there "hidden costs" over data plan prices listed accurate for ATT and Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Starfyre, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I keep reading about stuff like "if you start a new plan with Verzion, you have to pay an activation fee, but you don't if you go with ATT" and others about "pre and post payment".

Can someone clarify what if any "hidden costs" or "activation fees" that are outside the costs listed on Apple?

2. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Depending on who you go to in order to activate your iPad, there may be activation fees involved. There may be other hidden costs due to needing a new SIM card or whatever fees the dealer charges. Some dealers will charge nothing while other dealers charge a fee. Then when you get your bill, you will see federal and state taxes added onto your bill. You may also get overage charges for excess use or even international charges if you travel. The biggest thing on your bill that doesn't show up with the listed price are taxes.

3. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

That being said, aside from the data plan fee, is flexibility equivalent with both carriers and fees negligible?

I heard ATT, you don't have to pay every time you are to get a plan with them for the iPad.

However, for Verizon, you have to pay an activation fee each time you "activate".

(example: I use iPad 4G service for a month, stop using it for a month, then start using it again for another month). Under ATT, there would be just the data plan cost and taxes for 1st month (and activation?), and 3rd month would just be plan cost and taxes. However under Verizon, I have to pay an activation fee the 1st month, and pay an activation fee the 3rd month. Is this true?