Are there lots of Wi-Fi spots near you?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by StruckANerve, Dec 31, 2009.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I just bought an IPT and went looking to see how many Hotspots there are in my city and unfortunately there are less than 5 in my entire city that are free and 3 of them are Qwest which don't support handheld devices. I was astonished by this because my city has a pop. of about 80,000. Let's just say I was dissapointed that I am pretty much going to be without the ability to use my IPT on the net unless I am at home.

I am still excited about getting it because I mainly wanted the IPT for games and movies on the go.

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

In my area, it is pretty much i could drive down the road and have wifi all the time. None the less congrats on the purchase.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Library - free
    Starbucks - paid
    McDonalds - paid, free apparently in a few weeks
    Panera - free

I'm never near:
    B&N - free
    Bob Evans - free (the sign out front says)
    Denny's - free

My area is like 3 towns together, that is all that i know of.... The spot i go in the library doesn't get good wifi, but it's there if i need it in a pinch while picking up/dropping off kids.

Oh and apparently, some FL Rest Stops have free wifi - i drove by one needing an email on the way to a doctors appointment. I thought, gee, that would be a nice service to offer travelers..... i continued on and found a Panera to jump on for a few. The next day, my STBXH stopped at that same rest stop - and called to tell me that htey had a sign on the way into the bathroom area that it was a test for free wifi. HMPH.

Anyway, i share your "pain"!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Public library has free wi-fi plus B&N.
    I check the wi-fi availability now and then and most of the wi-fi I see is secured. This is in the west boston suburbs, within a few miles of 128.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Question the Barnes and Noble WIFI.. Are they free or are they the same as the Starbucks WIFI, in which you have to have an ATT account to sign in (have to have a Starbucks Card and Refresh it every month) and they only give you like 2 hours per day.

6. davidinva macrumors 6502a

Free WIFI

Barnes & Noble recently (3-4 months ago) went free WIFI. As mentioned, many public libraries now offer WIFI. (People sit in the parking lot and connect.) Some grocery stores (those with cafes or snack shops) now offer WIFI. One of our neighboring towns offers free WIFI downtown near the City Hall. It can be accessed outside.