Are there people here that are familiar with iA Writer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by App Downloader, Apr 11, 2012.

1. App Downloader macrumors member

I have iA Writer for Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and I use it for an easy alternative for iWork Pages and Microsoft Word. It think it's really good, but I think there should be a way to turn off and turn on some of the features (you probably even need a preference window for that, something like a right-click control would be awesome).

Also, I feel that the iCloud syncing isn't very great, and it is slow at times, and the I sometimes can't even open some files on my iOS devices.

Still, two problems don't kill it, and it's still one of my 4-5 star apps.

For people who don't know about it, you guys can check it out by these links.
    Mac Version
    iPhone & iPad Universal Version

2. Kate. macrumors regular

I use it on my Mac. I primarily write in Scrivener which has it's own full screen composition mode but when I need the extra motivation, I use Writer. It's beautifully designed to achieve its primary function: forcing a writer to write without distraction. Very few options to mess around with, no files to organize, no fonts to choose. And I love the little "Reading time" timer that pops up in the bottom corner when my fingers have been idle too long. Markdown support is a nice bonus although I can't say I use it that often.

I save all my files to Dropbox so I can't comment on the iCloud issues you have. I'll be picking up my first iPad in the next month or two and Writer will be one of the first apps I put on it. It truly is a great tool for any writer's toolbox.

3. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I love iA Writer, and use it between my Mac and iPad. I have not had any iCloud issues.