Are these pants acceptable to you or not for school?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Nov 1, 2018.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

So there is a law or policy in place that states they can send a kid home if their pants have a hole in them? Kids go to school to learn or show off what clothes they have? This is putting some people who are not so well off on the spot at school. I disagree with this policy. Your thoughts? Should a kid be coded or punished?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy...ing-hole-mom-forced-bring-home-182759396.html

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I work on a college campus and the trend in women's jeans is to have large gaping holes... mostly at the knee, but sometimes all over. My wife has a pair as well, so I was shocked to see this kid was sent home over a hole that wasn't even a hole yet. I'm also the parent of two elementary school kids. If I had to replace every pair of pants or shirt they wear because of "emerging holes" I'd go broke real fast.

A quote in the article states that the rule was to prohibit students from wearing fashionably tattered clothing, but how do they know the difference between worn out clothing and items that were made to look like that? Given that this is a public school, they have a legal responsibility to educate children from families of all income levels. I think this was one of those policies that just didn't get well thought out. It will probably be changed or removed after all this attention.

The public school district my kids are in has a vague dress code. They mostly just prohibit clothing that has violent or offensive words or images. They say nothing about holes. Of course the lack of specificity means that it's mostly up to the discretion of teachers and the principal. The teacher who had a problem with the "emerging hole" in this kid's pants should feel embarrassed.

4. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Pretty disgusting. I guess I would have been sent home plenty of times as a kid. Hell, probably most of the kids in my schools.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

LOL. I would have been sent home numerous times if my schools had had ludicrous dress codes like that. Holes in jeans were downright fashionable back in the day. This is just more nanny nonsense.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Girls here wear these and we never seem to hear about them being sent home from college or university.
    [​IMG]

7. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

He shouldn't have been sent home.

But, then again, he wasn't sent home. His mother was asked to bring him some more suitable pants to wear, or take him home. She chose to take him home.

Now, maybe money is tight and she doesn't have the cash to buy the kid another pair of jeans just then. Maybe every single pair of jeans that kid has is holey, or has "emerging holes." A needle and thread is dirt cheap and those holes can be sewn shut, or patches put on them.

I think the whole thing is nitpicky on the school's part, but if they're enforcing this evenly across the board, then I don't have a problem with it. I think they should have told the kid please either get the pants fixed or don't wear them to school again, and sent him back to class.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Unless the hole is on his ass or his crotch who gives a crap. If his balls are hanging out of a hole in his pants then call the parents.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It wasn’t a hole though so there was nothing to sew or patch. It was a worn spot on the back right around his knee.

Yes, you need a dress code so that kids don’t just wear whatever the heck and become a disruption, but no sensible person could possibly argue that this kids worn spot was a disruption. The school made a mistake and fortunately, it appears that they’re going to correct it by amending the dress code.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

That seems a bit extreme to me. I know when I was public high school for two years they didn’t allow “ripped or torn clothing”- but something like that would not have been a problem. Even mildly distressed clothing would have gone unaddressed- but more likely if it was purchased distressed women’s clothing. They also had a rule about girls tops straps and skirt/short length (had to be longer than the finger tips). I loved when the (female) Vice Principal would go up to girls and say “I love your shorts, but some of the teachers have been composing they’re too short” rather than just owning up to her own discontent with the clothing. Of course, they also had a rule against clothing with inappropriate content (alcohol, drugs, sexual references- as was popular with some Abercrombie at the time for some reason). One time however a kid got called down to the office because he was wearing a Billibong shirt, which they thought was a reference to bongs/marijuana until later clarified.

We also had a rule you couldn’t wear pajama pants to school, bizarrely justified as a “fire hazard” rather than just saying it’s inappropriate clothing to wear to school.

I’d say this school has gone too far with their dress code. Or perhaps this is some sort of retribution for something else?

12. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Did they allow you to dress up on Halloween?

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The high school did. I didn’t go to public middle school but apparently the middle school did not allow it. They also had the same general dress code.

14. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Cutting giant holes in your jean’s knees was a fashion trend 25-30 years back. My mom wouldn’t let me tear my clothes up, but the school didn’t care.

Crazy.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I have NEVER heard is such a thing, Is it April fools or do we have some lame brain thinking in our school system these days? Does religion have anything to do with this particular case?

16. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

Of course back then we had to cut our own holes and rub our own worn spots. Today you can just buy 'em that way! Sure you probably pay extra for every hole, but that probably doesn't phase a generation who grew up thinking it was totally normal to pay for individual servings of water. :p

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I don’t necessarily disagree with the idea of uniforms, because it would knock out a lot of class envy.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

These are the only trousers anyone ever needs for school:

[​IMG]

Just make sure you know who's handling the remote.

19. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

The public school my kids go to allows Halloween costumes, but I don't think that many kids dressed up until after school. I remember being able to dress up as well for Halloween at my school. I think our school district leaves a lot of up the discretion of the school principal. I'm guessing a costume would have to be pretty inappropriate in some way, or violate our very liberal dress code by having words or imagery that is violent, offensive, etc.

20. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It doesn't have to do anything with class envy. Which is more appropriate for class (or anywhere else for that matter)?

faa2494ce6380e268d0d22a9b0c980ec.jpg 4owazv38zi801.jpg

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

What is bothering you? Being sent home for an emerging hole on a pants leg is too controlling.

The observation about uniforms was my response to the idea of uniforms in public school and it does have something to do with the simple fact that it would eliminate a source of tension between haves and have nots. And uniforms would eliminate the really inappropriate clothing from being worn to school. But it's just an observation. I’m not vested in the idea and glad I did not wear a uniform in high school although I did spend 9 years in the military conforming to a dress code. :)

The Case for School Uniforms
    https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/walt_gardners_reality_check/2014/06/the_case_for_a_dress_code.html

Uniforms also lessen the potential for envy over socioeconomic differences and reduce the risk of gang rivalries that invariably detract attention from learning.

The Battle over Dress Codes.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/opinion/the-battle-over-dress-codes.html

22. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

What bothers me is the general slovenliness of people appearing in public. Sweat pants/pyjama pants/yoga pants, etc. being worn stores, as if it were acceptable. The wearing of hats/caps indoors (especially when eating) is something that is beyond the pale.

Personally, I never appear in public in less than khakis (don't even own jeans, and only wear shorts out of doors to mow the lawn) and a collared shirt.

23. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

As a Catholic school survivor, I remember how much **** we'd get from the penguins for "rolling" our skirts.

Then again, I was in late primary/early middle school when the older kids were doing the massively destroyed jeans in the late 80's. So it just seems to surreal at how **** like this, or a girl's shoulders is such an offense.

Hold your horses, really?

I always thought of myself as a bit of a fashion slave, but this seems a little extreme.

(I'm kinda guilty of yoga panta/tights under a big sweater in the fall)

24. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

Yes, it can be a solution until the school goes crazy and requires Armani designed uniforms, like in Japan.
    Link.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree.