Are they really going to come over here and get us?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, May 26, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This is something I've been pondering for awhile: Bush and Cheney are always saying that if we don't keep our forces in Iraq, the terrorists will come over here and get us. By get us I think they mean kill us.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't the terrorists still come over here and get us even with the American and British forces still in Iraq? :confused:

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, probably not. And terrorism is so widespread throughout the world that our presence in one country (who didn't have high levels of terrorism until we went over there) isn't going to end terrorism. Bush needs to get it through his head that terrorists don't have to come from the middle east. Not only that, what about Timothy McVeigh, John Allen Muhammed, Eric Rudolph, Ted Kaczynski and all of your other American terrorists? How is us being over there stopping the terrorists that have lived here since the day they were born?

3. unixfool macrumors 6502a

They've gotten us (more than once) before. With the threats that Osama keeps making from his cave, the chaos not just in Iraq, but in several places in the Middle East, do you think that he or his captains are jiving?

I take my son to Bethesda's Navy hospital every other month and every time I go, I see seriously wounded soldiers, some with missing limbs...I wanna cry every time. I've yet to see any wounded veteran complain about us not leaving Iraq. I know why. Almost every servicemember has seen how non-Americans live and it is sometimes not pretty (especially the 3rd-world countries). Americans are spoiled and snotty, for the most part, stick their noses where they don't belong, so my non-American friends tell me. We did it one too many times and Osama cut off those noses. We're now fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan because we got our noses cut off....yes, it hurts but I think most countries would do something similar in response to having hundreds of people killed in the name of Allah.

Bush and Cheney inherited this...it didn't just happen when they came on-board. At the same time, they've made some serious screw-ups and lapses of judgement. I believe in Bush but Cheney sickens me and I wish Bush would fire him. The Democrats aren't helping in any of this (with the acception of a few). I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I got word of the WTC attacks...it left a seriously bad taste in my mouth watching what was happening on TV (I was in Japan at the time). I was wondering how the government would address this. Initially, everyone came together and no one voiced any concerns when the body count was still climbing. Nowadays, everyone seems to have forgotten the initial impact and all they're doing is pointing fingers and acting like little kids. My dad says it reminds him of 'Nam.

I think if we pull out now, we lose world credibility...we'd lose dependability. That's a big deal in the national security arena. I hate to see my fellow soldiers losing life and limb but they know what they're doing and remember they gave an oath to protect and defend. The cause is just, but we lose focus when idiots take humiliating pictures of prisoners in various acts or when certain factions of Congress cherrypick issues to further their cause. No one is thinking of the Iraqi who was killed by some al-Queda supporter or our soldiers disappearing or being killed to further a terrorist objective.

And no, I don't believe in the "Cheney wants oil" theory, as much as I despise the man...same goes for Bush.

Think if we left tomorrow...people are complaining about $3+/gal gas now...if we left tomorrow, gas will probably immediately climb beyond that and be much higher, and not just for America.

Stability first, then we should leave.

4. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I agree with everything you stated.

5. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'm surprised they haven't figured out they can just walk in from Mexico.

Then again, I figure it's a lot easier to take a few pot shots and then watch us spend the next decade or so running about like a headless chicken.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

So how did Iraq fit into all of this? Pardon me while I slit my wrists to numb the pain.

7. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Iraq was a sovereign country with far greater stability than it has now before we entered. It was not involved in the WTC attacks. The United States has lost credibility by waging this war and using torture. Of course Bush and Cheney inherited this; the fact is they handled Iraq the wrong way. The right way was with sanctions and inspections. Iraq was contained. Nixon handled China with diplomacy, and several US presidents handled the Soviet Union with diplomacy. You don't have to wage war to handle a situation.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Let's kill half a million people to make the world a "prettier" place.
    The US lost "credibility" and "dependability" when it invaded the wrong country.
    Ain't gonna happen until you leave.

9. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

'They' will never be able to commit the same kind of atrocities here in the U.S. as they pull off overseas, due to the amount of trigger happy rednecks here just waiting for an excuse to kill every Arab in sight. And 'they' already crossed the southern and northern borders, but they're scared to piss us off again. Osama and his crew have realized (thanks to our military in Afganistan and Iraq) that attacking on American soil can be very devastating to his operation's well-being.:cool:

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On the contrary, Osama's "crew" - Osama himself has in all probability been dead for months, but it doesn't suit the WH's purposes to be denied their bogeyman - have seen all too clearly how US knee-jerk reactions play right into their hands. Al Qaeda has never been stronger.

11. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

You know, I've got that same suspicion. Who wants to be next!?:D

This is Memorial Day weekend here in the U.S. when we remember the sacrifices of those men and women who have risked it all to protect our freedom and democracy, what's left of it... my grandpa Roy, uncle Sam, uncle Marcus, grandpa Frank, cousin Pete, cousin Cole, cousin Matt. To name a few. On a deeper level, I abhorr all of the violence and killing. It makes me sick too. But when it comes down to me or 'them' who's going to live, those mf'ers better run and hide!:cool:

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did you steal that lyric from 50 cent?

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In what country does al Qaeda reside?

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

None. So why did we invade Iraq?

15. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

None in Iraq whilst Saddam was in power - he saw them as a threat to his power base.

16. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Yes. As London and Madrid proved.

17. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

18. unixfool macrumors 6502a

So was every country that has ever been attacked...what's your point? How do you determine that Iraq wasn't involved in the 9/11 attacks? Don't believe everything you read/hear in the media. Think about this: if you broke some law (WMDs, in this instance) and someone was trying to prove that you did it and you knew they were gonna come after you, would you keep the evidence out in the open? Saddam wasn't THAT stupid...if he had them, he hid them. He knows his country better than the Americans do, so it's much easier to hide WMDs than for us to find them. China and the SU back then are totally different issues than the Iraq situation. Look back and you should be able to determine that we've been trying to do the diplomatic thing in Iraq for YEARS. At some point, if things aren't working as planned and someone is stonewalling you, you're gonna have to take the next step. If you don't plan and have the stones to take the next step when necessary, you don't belong in the presidency...as I said earlier, this goes a LONG way back, long before the current presidency.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, IF he had them. And that's the biggest IF I've ever seen in my life. We had no real proof that he had WMDs. We had no evidence. Nothing. Just some bulls**t made up by this administration to sell this unjust war to the public. And 4 years ago, the public bought that bulls**t that was fed to us. 4 years to find said WMDs and we haven't come up with a single thing. We completely destroyed a sovereign nation over something that doesn't exist.

20. unixfool macrumors 6502a

I'm quite awake. I was in that part of the world in 1991 (Desert Storm). I was an intelligence analyst in the Army. I'm very sure of my thoughts in all of this, as I was required to study certain aspects of Iraqi society and military structure. That's something the average American doesn't have...anyone can grow viewpoints by watching TV. It's totally different when you've actually lived and breathed a piece of it.

Quite frankly, I tire of the Jane Fondas ranting and raving of neo-conservatives. And, guess what? Attempting to deny our troops funding is the very lowest of solutions...in fact its NOT a solution at all. If someone had the backbone to address all of this before it cascaded, we wouldn't be in this mess. Spare me the conspiracy theories. I've read or heard of them all these past few years...it's sounding like a broken record.

The reason they aren't cleaning up their own country is because things have degraded far beyond the initial strife. The country is now at civil war and their government infrastructure was torn down...what do you expect them to do, especially after living under dictatorship for decades?

The only ones really fighting are Americans against Americans in this, which is the really sad part.

21. unixfool macrumors 6502a

How about this...prove they were never there in the first place. It's easy to just SAY they were never there. PROVE IT. Until then, you don't have a leg to stand on. I mean, really, come ON...

This can go on and on...

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Normally, I'd expect us to fix what we broke, but since we severely screwed that up too, I expect us to get the hell out of there ASAP. Sure, the country will break out into civil war (as if it hasn't already) and probably eventually return to what it was under Saddam, but let Darwinism run its course. It certainly isn't worth our money and our soldiers' lives.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nothing to prove here. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden on proof is on the people claiming that Saddam was guilty of having WMDs.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

You have just proven to all of us that it is you without any legs to stand on. Try again.

25. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Saddam was never innocent. Already killed hundreds of thousands with wmd's before. Being secretive and refusing UN inspectors after getting his butt kicked once before. Wants nukes and compensated suicide bombers terrorizing Israel. He had his chance to prove they weren't there. To think that Iran didn't inherit them immediately following the invasion by our forces is sheer denial of the obvious for political gain, and you're buying into it.