Are transcend ssds good performers and if so, should I get one now or later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MattMK45, Jun 5, 2009.

1. MattMK45 macrumors regular

I've just bought my powerbook g4 and am mightly impressed with it, I was wondering if the transcend ssd drives are as good performance drives as say OCZs or crucial because I know I can no way buy a samsung at the moment as they are incredibly high priced. Any thoughts?

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

transcend is absolute crap they are very poor performers.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

4. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I think it'll be a good performance boost for the money you will spend. Powerbook G4, with their IDE interface, is by no means the fastest computer out there, and any SSD (even the low end MLC from transcend) should be a big improvement over your stock 5400rpm drive. The disk interface is constrained by the IDE connection, and an low end MLC will be a phenomenal improvement to what you already have.
    I put a 32GB MLC transcend SSD in my 1.33Ghz PB 12", it was the best $100 upgrade I had done to the computer, perhaps more dramatic improvement than maxing out the RAM to 1.25GB. Leopard runs even more swiftly than my previous install of Tiger, with the 4200rpm drive.

5. MattMK45 thread starter macrumors regular

the outcome

thank you for your views. As you know, ssd is the future and it's not going away, obviously soon they will come down in price and go up in storage. I could buy 2 gb ram but is about the same price of the transcend. I'm gonna aim for something like an IDE 128GB ssd for a good price seeing as I don't really need as yet. Or I might get a massive hdd for a really cheap price of like £30 for a 250gb drive. then when the time is right upgrade to the awesomeness of the ssd