Are videos of better quality on 4 compared to 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bosoxnm3, Jun 26, 2010.

1. bosoxnm3 macrumors member

Does the retina display affect video quality? Will a youtube video look better on 4 than 3gs? Thanks.

2. alanisrox69 macrumors regular

It looks crappier IMO. At least over 3G.

On my 3G phone (jailbroken) I installed 3G Unrestrictor which made the YouTube app fetch the highest quality version of the video that the 3G would play, 480p (medium-high bitrate), versus the 360p (super low bitrate) over 3G

on the iPhone 4 over 3G, it still fetches the crappy 360p videos, and since the display doesn't mask anything, they look uber crappy. However, on WiFi, it fetches the 720p version (if available, if not, 480p).

Can't wait for jailbreak + 3G Unrestrictor for iPhone4.

3. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

It all depends on the source video. If you watch a 720p video, it will always look better on the iPhone 4. Higher Resolution videos will always look better on the 4. Lower resolution will look the same on both. That's the short, easy answer anyway.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Actually, I think SD videos (such as 640x480 or 640x352) look better on the iPhone 4. Perhaps the inability to distinguish individual pixels helps the jaggies and such appear more blended. I'm not sure, but everything looks so much more crisp, clear and colorful. Everything from video to album art looks fantastic.