Are violent video games to blame for violence in the real world?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solver, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Solver macrumors 6502a

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Jack Thompson and Anita Sarkeesian started salivating just by the title of the article, and Hillary dusted off the Family Entertainment Protection Act in hopes that maybe now it could finally pass.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How come there’s nowhere near as much violence outside the US where they also have video games?

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Because the U.S. is special.Special I say.

6. satcomer, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Not really, just ok at Sweden it is crazier than the Us or Canada! Talk about the war on men this country is an authoritarian paradise were Men are second class citizens!

7. benshive macrumors regular

Because here we like to propose dumb simple solutions to try and tackle complex issues and pointing the finger at violent video games is one of those dumb simple solutions.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Blaming videogames for violence? No, absolutely not. But not taking into consideration some of their effects into the more complex issue of violence would be wrong too as it's proven that media does change our behavior.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2019 ---
    Not blaming videogames at all, but I think that in many parts of the US we can do stuff without basically interact with a single human to a level that no one else does. I can literally go to the bank, the pharmacy, the grocery store, the restaurant, and in some cases even the postal office without having to step off my car. Also, with homeschooling for K-12 and virtual classes, we can go from elementary school to a Master's Degree without seeing a single human.
    I think it's more a problem of lack of human interaction (hence social alienation) than videogames per se. Videogames, in the order of the above, would simply function as the escapism mechanism to let time fly while feeling somewhat accomplished for having done something.

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Pro-Trump media started there but now they’ve moved on to a lack of masculinity. Fox had a segment this morning called ‘masculinity in modern times’ where one of the guests ranted against ADHD medication. I’ve send others on Twitter blame these shootings on men becoming neutered.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1159442336751001600?s=21

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don’t disagree with the idea that masculinity is “under attack”. However it seems to me that all these arguments are made just to find an easy solution, and a single culprit, be it videogames, masculinity, Trump, Obama, immigrants etc.
    The truth is that violence - especially at a large level - is a very difficult subject to analyze, and is due to a plethora of complex factors that brew throughout the years, even generations.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The place where I live in Scotland has a bloody history, mostly due to religious violence in the middle ages. You can't swing a stick without hitting some monument to people who were stabbed, hung, drawn and quartered, burnt at the stake, blown to bits by cannon fire, shot, or simply left in a dungeon to starve. Must have been the violent video games....

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Are your kids on aderall and Ritalin since middle school ?