Are we entitled to a new Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ydaf, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ydaf macrumors member

So my sister bought a new 15" MBP last month. On arrival there were 3 burnt pixels in the centre, the DVD drive kept ejecting discs and it got ridiculously hot (80 C for just browsing the internet!?). I called Apple up and they agreed to send an exchange computer. Now, the new one has more burnt pixels and it still gets ridiculously hot but the drive is working fine. I called Apple again and this time they refused to exchange it and instead told me to take it by an Apple store to be looked at.

I am 3hrs away from the nearest store and no way am I driving that long for something that is not even our fault. I've tried speaking to numerous representatives and they refuse to exchange it (one even told me burnt pixels are no big deal and that many customers don't even notice them but they are right in the centre and it's annoying!)... and they keep telling to go an Apple store for a check up.

This is ridiculous, why should I drive 3 hrs and pay for gas for something that is not even my fault and is unacceptable for the "premium" price I paid. We even have the extended Applecare for it. What can I do? Is there a department or someone I should speak to about this? I'm on the verge of just returning/selling it and getting her a Windows laptop (I convinced her Macs were better so this doesn't look good). Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, you are not entitled to a replacement. Your entitlement goes as far as the warranty goes. You are entitled to have Apple repair the machine and to the extent they cannot, they will replace it. Entitlement isn't what you feel, it's what is policy.

3. ydaf thread starter macrumors member

This is a new, recently purchased laptop. It was purchased on Oct 30, reached here 10 days or so later, then I had to send it back for another replacement which came a few days ago.... So I am suppose to accept a new, defective product and go through the headache of the warranty policy and fixing? That's not right. Windows laptop it is then.

4. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

You should call 1800 SOS APPL and talk to them about your experiences.

All we can do is quote our experience with Apple's policy to you. Sometimes, they go around their policy to keep a customer happy.

I suggest you calmly explain to them that you want a computer that works out of box, and shouldn't have to take a replacement unit in for repairs.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could try sending an email to sjobs@apple.com although as jessica. said you are not entitled to a new Mac. If you Mac is having problems then it should be sent out to be repaired, Apple can't just say "Oh, someone is having a problem, let's ship them a new computer!" every time someone has a problem with their computer.

6. ydaf thread starter macrumors member

I just don't understand how I am not entitled to a new computer when both MBPs, new and directly from Apple, are defective when they reach me. All we did was power it up and saw the problems. We paid over $2000 and I expect a working machine. For that kind of money I expect a working system. I don't want them to fix a new machine that already has problems. Now if it was a couple months after and the computer had been used regularly, I would understand the reasoning of sending it to be repaired but this is brand new.

And I am sure many of you would feel the same way if you paid a lot of money for any product, not just a computer, and it arrived defective (twice!). Nobody wants to send a brand new product for warranty repairs when it hasn't been used yet.

For example, I installed a new AC in one of the rooms in my house last year. The 2nd day it wouldn't start, and the guy said he has to order a part for it. I refused that and told him I want the system to be replaced since I just paid all this money and I expect it to be working. I don't want the headache of having to change parts on a brand new air conditioner. He agreed and changed, free of charge.

I will send a Steve Jobs an email and see what happens. Not expecting much though... Thanks.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Trust me, I've been through the same situation many times, I've had over 10 repairs on Apple computers in the last three years. I've felt the same way, although Apple doesn't like to give out replacements at all. They require three repairs on a major part for a replacement to even be considered. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't expect a replacement if I was in your position.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3 repairs and it's falling real close to the lemon law. The guy isn't entitled to a new machine, he is entitled to it being fixed.
    My brand new MP had an issue that was not really noticed as being an issue until 9 months later. They replaced every part with no success and replaced the machine eventually (took nearly a 3 weeks).

Why aren't you entitled? Because it is past the 14-day return period so now it should be fixed. To the extent it cannot be fixed they should replace it. E-mail whomever you want for all anyone cares but the very use of your word "entitled" tells me you think you're overly special. Go back to windows, your threats mean just about as much as my virual lashings (ie: very very very little).

9. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone else.

I would HOPE for a replacement but not EXPECT one.

Also... You sure its not some dust under the screen? I have a bit of dust and it causes it to look like a bad pixel if you look close enough. Is it possible that you're doing something to cause the computer to run at 80c? Some luck if you got 2 computers that did the same thing.

10. ydaf thread starter macrumors member

You used your new MP for 9mths till you discovered the problem. That is a completely different situation. This is brand new, as in it has never been used and I called Apple within 1 hour of me receiving it. Not even 1 program was installed.

Put yourself in a similar situation. Would you be happy knowing the new machine you just ordered had to be fixed? Hence, you'd be working on a new machine that already had underlying problems that needed to be addressed. Imagine you buy a new car and from the first day there are multiple problems with it. You would want them to fix that under warranty or you would want a replacement since you just got the car? I wouldn't like to be driving a brand new car, knowing it had to be fixed for multiple issues already. Same thing with the computer. I guess we all think differently about these kinds of issues.

BTW, my 14 day period is not over. I asked Apple that on the phone and they confirmed it since they had to send another replacement computer so we did not even get the 14 days to try out the system.

I am giving them a call in the morning and will try to speak to a manager so they can understand where I'm coming from.

11. ydaf thread starter macrumors member

No they are burnt pixels. I can see the annoying pixelated spots on a black background (I made sure it wasn't dust or debris before).

All I did was turn on the computer and start Safari and after 5mins the fans would go crazy (no Flash either, just a Wikipedia page). The laptop was on a desk, in an AC room so it couldn't have been the air temperature or the material under the laptop.

12. Aboo macrumors 6502a

If you are that far away, just have them send you a prepaid shipping box, and just send it in to their repair depot for a repair. Turnaround is usually very quick. Although they say that it can take 5-7 business days, they do most repairs within 3 business days (including shipping to the depot and back). Check with Apple care about this.

Regarding a replacement - you will not receive one at this stage, unless you have had 3 major repairs.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Then return it and stop bitching. And no, my point is not different. My point is that you have entitlement issues that far exceed your ability to actually be coherent. You have to realize they are not required to replace but they are required to repair.

14. ydaf thread starter macrumors member

Yes, your point is different. Your machine was 9months old when you addressed the problem, not the same day you received it, like me. So time does matter.

You need to wake up and get off the Apple hypnotics and realize the real issue. Stop bitching nonsense. I am not accepting a new $2000+ machine that needs to be fixed before it has even used. Just like they agreed and replaced it a second time, they can do it a third time (there wouldn't be a third time if the second machine they sent was working properly so the fault is with them there). Thank you everybody for your advice, I will see if Apple can arrange shipping so I don't have to drive.

15. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

beyond the subject of right or wrong, you can mail it in to the apple store to be fixed. I guarantee they would try to fix it, especially since it is less than a year old, it is under warranty. If it was older you would have to buy extended warranty.

TRUST ME Windows has much more extensive frustrating problems. They crash, burn out, and shut you out of your terms papers right when you finish...losing everything.

16. poppasmurf macrumors newbie

the fault was there from when you opened the package.

You should have stated its within the 14 days return period,
    so Im returning it for a full refund.

And when refunded just bought another one. The one you returned could not be sold as new. It would have been refurbed and sold as such, leaving you with a new mac at a later date and apple repairing the returned mac in their time not yours.
    :D

17. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

One should note, that for the "three repairs" method to work, they need to be performed at the same Apple Store, or you need to retain the records as proof of repair, as the repair database isn't centralized/searchable at every store. I had the mainboard replaced on my original CD MBP (May 2006) 4 times before I said enough was enough. I had retained all repair records, and was able to prove that it had been repaired more than 3 times at two different stores over my 2-1/2 years of ownership. It was then that AppleCare replaced my laptop outright with my current C2D Unibody (Oct 2008).

Moral of the story, retain your records. Side note, because the original unit was replaced in its entirety, it would not qualify as a "repair" so to say, which is why I would assume AppleCare is telling you to take it to your nearest store, which may or may not elect to give you a replacement laptop (would be at the manager's discretion).

Lemon laws generally only apply to motor vehicles. Personal computers generally aren't covered by the statues, though you can check with a local business lawyer for confirmation, or if there's an alternate consumer protective law in your state that does cover personal computers.

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Poppasmurf is right. If in Apple's opinion you are still within the 14 day time frame due to the first replacement then just return the computer for a full refund and order a new one. From what you have stated above it sounds like you will not be happy with any type of repair. When making large purchases like this I might suggest going to the Apple Store when you buy. Then you can open up the new product and test it out fully in the store before you go home with it. Then for some reason if you get a "lemon" with dead pixels or problems then the exchange is made right away before you leave the store.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

20. dolomite360 macrumors member

Personally I would never order something that delicate or expensive through mail. I would actually drive 3 hours and purchase it at the Apple Store and take it out and look at it before leaving. The employees there won't think "what the hell?" or anything. However, this "jessica" person is frustrating me from what she keeps saying, probably as much as she is frustrating you! This guy has a right to want a brand new Macbook Pro as it has had problems since coming right out of the box. I wouldn't want to pay over $2000 for a laptop, knowing that for the rest of the laptops' lifespan, it has had problems already and you are worried that these problems occurring in the future, even if it gets repaired. I totally understand as when I got my MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz about 1 month ago, when I turn it on I hear a buzzing noise every single time. I called Apple (this was the very first day I got the laptop) and asked if there is anything else I should be hearing when it starts up besides the Apple "chime/intro sound" and she said no. The Apple store is downtown where I live and I don't live downtown (about a 30 min. - 40 min. traffic drive) in a busy busy mall. And the girl told me to take it to Apple for repairs (she said to call in advance! Just a heads up in case you decide to drive 3 hours and don't call in advance, cause they need an appointment arranged) and I said I would make an appointment later, however I just never got to it as I never really have the time to drive downtown and bring my $2000 laptop with me in a mall where I could be jumped. Anyways, good luck with your situation as I hope I can get my laptop fixed soon.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

What real difference does it make. If a part is broken and they replace the part and it works perfectly, who cares? The rest of the machine is working to spec, right? It's ONLY the screen? So if they replace that - you've still got a brand new computer plus an even newer screen. Why should they throw the baby out with the bathwater? I understand your frustration and your desire to have an all new system. Sincerely I do. But ultimately - it's not going to make a lick of difference. It's purely psychological.

22. dashcs macrumors regular

I'm sorry over the dead pixels however the heat from your MBP is normal.

If you want a apple notebook (labtops don't exists anymore) thats not warm.
    ...wait that does't exist.

First time apple notebook buyers, the first complaint is the heat,its normal.

23. dashcs macrumors regular

Of course they did.
    They replace your computer and now your calling in with the same problems and want a 3rd computer.

The don't believe your story,so they want confirmation from a apple retail store.

Here whats going to happen at the apple store.
    -The heat issue is going to be ignore.sorry bub its normal.
    -The dead pixels,mac genius is going to verify the dead pixels and verify how many.

What? My computer should have no dead pixels?
    Sorry thats now how it works.All computers may come with dead pixels,every screen size has a set how many is acceptable.
    Even if you have just one dead pixels,they wont classify the computer as dead on arrival (DOA).Which means there is nothing wrong with the computer.

If they count over then the set allowed amount for your computer.
    Apple will classify the computer as DOA.

With that in mind,you just went 2 computers,Applecare or the apple store can provided with a exchange right at the store,they might even get you a upgraded model for the inconvience.

24. dvanwinkle macrumors newbie

Why did you post here?

I am still trying to get why you posted? You asked the question "Are we entitled to a new Mac?". Everyone is telling you that no, you are not ENTITLED to a new Mac. You got an answer, yet you are still griping. You obviously did not post here because you honestly wanted an answer, you posted here because you wanted to gripe and complain, and hopefully get someone on your side.

I used to work at the Apple Store, and I think you should try to readjust your attitude if you are wanting another replacement. Think about it, when you called the first time, where was your mindset? You were probably a lot calmer than you are now. Now, you think that you deserve something and you are being rude until you get it.

Have you tried calling and explaining the problem, listening to the possible solution, and then taking action? Right now it sounds as if all you are doing is explaining the solution (Replace my laptop), demanding action (Replace my laptop, and listening to a problem (we can't replace your laptop). Try to be nice, if you do that, I am sure that the person on the other end will be nicer than they would if you are mean.

I say all of this only assuming that you are treating everyone you talk with at Apple the same way you are treating all of the people here on MacRumors. Have you noticed that the ruder you have become on these forums, the ruder people have been towards you and the less people have been on your side? It is a basic rule of life, you get what you give...

Hope this has been helpful.

Dan

25. dolomite360 macrumors member

first off I hate how people like the person above me is judging your attitude over A COMPUTER. people judge the mood of someone or their attitude by what they type and how it looks like when its typed. the only way you can judge someones attitude is by actually hearing them. this is so stupid anyways since none of you are helping him and this has got to be the dumbest forum since people who ask questions (including me) receive "are you stupid?" answers and it doesn't help at all.