Are we finally going to see the UK features for Siri at WWDC?

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Been waiting ages for location services, maps e.t.c to arrive in the UK

Will it finally happen now?

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I hope so. It's about time really. Although I was under the impression Apple are (were) waiting for a company in the UK to provide all the data?

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Well, now that Apple is launching its own mapping solution with iOS6, I'd expect the location features to come to English (UK) and other Siri languages.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Well, now that Apple is launching its own mapping solution with iOS6, I'd expect the location features to come to English (UK) and other Siri languages.
A lot of people are worried about UK mapping features going missing from iOS6 if Apple launches it's own solution.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
A lot of people are worried about UK mapping features going missing from iOS6 if Apple launches it's own solution.
How so? I'm not questioning you, I'm genuinely intrigued.

I suppose there is every possibility that if their own maps app has turn by turn navigation, it'll be like Siri's business search and be US only.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005

I suppose there is every possibility that if their own maps app has turn by turn navigation, it'll be like Siri's business search and be US only.
Because Apple are very US centric and their new services tend to reflect that when first released.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, but it'd be folly to believe that their new maps app would only have the US and Canada covered to begin with.
I would fully expect it to have some form of UK maps but wouldn't be too surprised if at first it lacked advanced features found in the US version. I might be totally wrong though. :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's useless on the 4S in the UK...No shopping results etc. Even if Apple only make THAT part work here it would be something...As it stands, it's a gimmick I played with a while...I use it to send the odd text and email, but invariably use the keyboard.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I would fully expect it to have some form of UK maps but wouldn't be too surprised if at first it lacked advanced features found in the US version. I might be totally wrong though. :)
Got to love the days building up to WWDC, come 5:55pm on Monday night I'll be refreshing Safari like a hyperactive child who's eaten too many Smarties.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
It's useless on the 4S in the UK...No shopping results etc. Even if Apple only make THAT part work here it would be something...As it stands, it's a gimmick I played with a while...I use it to send the odd text and email, but invariably use the keyboard.
+1

Had Siri turned off more or less since getting the 4S, i think UK owners have been pretty patient really. Let's hope there are not too many US specific (Beta) features in IOS6.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use the international locations tweak as a workaround.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

Yeah, but it'd be folly to believe that their new maps app would only have the US and Canada covered to begin with.
Why?

Google and Bing were very US-centric at launch.

They still are to some extent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.