Are we going to be able to add an external Blu Ray drive to our Macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wolfpup, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm wondering about this-are we going to be able to add an external Blu Ray drive, once they're available?

If so, what playback software would we be able to use?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Considering there are already internal versions available I'd say, yes. Leopard's DVD Player also appears to support playback.

3. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Nice! Thanks! I'm actually thinking I may like to start renting stuff on Blu Ray in the near future, but would want to be able to play it on my computer too.

4. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

When will Macs have INTERNAL Blu-Ray players? Dell XPS already has them. And Dell sucks. What is Apple waiting for? It doesn't hurt me though, I have a PS3 for my hd movie pleasure.

Now it's off to Best Buy for 300 on BR!

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

While Apple backed Blu-ray, i think they will wait until there is a clear cut "winner" to put blu-ray in their machines. It will bump up the price of Macs, and there isn't much point in doing that if blu-ray might be obsolete in a year or so (not saying HD-DVD is gonna win, both formats will probably lose).

6. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Well I hope they don't both lose, because streaming stuff is vastly inferior quality, and has even more DRM restrictions than Blu Ray and HD DVD.

It's been pretty much a forgone conclusion Blu Ray was going to win, and the analysts are pretty much all saying it's happening faster than expected.

I wouldn't want them to have it be standard (yet), but it would be nice as an option at this point. It drives up the price around $500 on Dell's systems, so definitely not standard!