Are we going to see new iMacs in january 2007?

Upgrade of iMac in January 2007?


  • Total voters
    77

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
i am thinking of buying a 20" imac but now i believe that there might be an update on january 2007 based on various posts i've read on this forum.

do you guys think apple is going to allow more configuration options such as: upgrading the graphics card, leopard, iLife '07, black case, etc?
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
There could be SMALL updates any time--even January--but I personally don't expect any big iMac news at MWSF.

Still, any change could be worth waiting for if you don't need a computer right now.
 

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
2,245
38
The world may end January 2007. That's what I've heard.

The only reason to wait would be those "free" software updates.

The iMac just got Core 2 Duo, nVidia chipsets, and a 24" model. What more could you possibly want?
 

Graeme A

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2003
265
0
Melbourne, Australia
Demon Hunter said:
The iMac just got Core 2 Duo, nVidia chipsets, and a 24" model. What more could you possibly want?
Stroll in to the Merom/Photokina thread, and they will let you know their wishlists... Be careful though, they take no prisoners in there.

January is quite a good update month though... they start announcing the new things for the year, even if just a theme.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
i really think that the performance of the imac is hindered by the ati card. only the 24" got the nvidia card. MAYBE they might introduce that card for the 20".
no point getting an imac now if they get updated in 2-4 months from now
 

bluewire

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
99
0
Bay Area, California
wchong said:
i really think that the performance of the imac is hindered by the ati card. only the 24" got the nvidia card. MAYBE they might introduce that card for the 20".
no point getting an imac now if they get updated in 2-4 months from now
you could argue that indefinately...there will always been an update lurking in the wings.
 

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
1,204
1
wchong said:
i am thinking of buying a 20" imac but now i believe that there might be an update on january 2007 based on various posts i've read on this forum.

do you guys think apple is going to allow more configuration options such as: upgrading the graphics card, leopard, iLife '07, black case, etc?
nah...doesn't make sense to introduce a new product at the beginning of the 1st quarter, since everyone's still paying for Xmas. I'm thinking April will bring new stuff...
 

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
93
0
beatsme said:
nah...doesn't make sense to introduce a new product at the beginning of the 1st quarter, since everyone's still paying for Xmas. I'm thinking April will bring new stuff...
Last January was the release of the first Intel iMac and MacBook Pro!

But, no, I don't think anything that new will be out. Possibly just a refresh, hopefully they'll put MXM graphics cards in all iMacs (except the lowend 17", keep it with integrated for the lowest price point.)

I'd like to see a wider range of graphics cards available too, and the option of aftermarket upgrades as well.

Lower prices across the board too. I'm currently lusting for the 24" but the price tag is just out of reach. Lower the iMacs (and Mini) by 15% and it'd seal the deal for me at least.

Also, a black iMac would rule.

And, maybe, to make a statement, and to keep the current high price point of the 24" just for the people who are rich and like to brag (or just put everything on credit cards and never pay them back!), come out with a special edition that's encased in aluminum just like the MBP! How sweet would that be?! 8P
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,538
1,452
I would love a black iMac or an aluminum one but I don't see them doing black because the casing is a clear acrylic or something with white behind it like the iPods. I don't think the black would look as good as you would think, nor would it wear well. as for the aluminum, yes I would love to see that and jump on it in an instant, but they have to redo the case for that. I just don't see it happening. They would have to charge tooo much of a premium. Remember that the iMac also has the IR sensor for the remote, that is a hurdle for the black and moreso for the aluminum.
 

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
2,587
166
Washington, DC
bluewire said:
you could argue that indefinately...there will always been an update lurking in the wings.
As long as Intel keeps churning out speedier versions of chips, there will always be upgraded iMacs.

The thing to do is either buy now, since they were just updated, or wait until the next update, which might be January, or later, or sooner.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
i don't see how a black casing would affect the IR sensor. besides, doesn't the old ipod nano have a whit-ish clear coat on the outside? they could just remove the white panel and substitute it with a black one. easy right? :D
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
Both iPods look great--white or black behind clear--and a black iMac has the advantage of never going in a pocket with coins and keys :)

The IR receiver is not a problem: it's in the Apple logo and need not be opaque to IR signals. Like the white Apple logo on MacBooks that actually sits in a hole in the Al.
 

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
93
0
roland.g said:
They would have to charge tooo much of a premium. Remember that the iMac also has the IR sensor for the remote, that is a hurdle for the black and moreso for the aluminum.
I wouldn't think an aluminum case would be more than $200, and if they lower prices across the board, maybe the special edition 24" could be the same price as the current plastic 24".

Also, it's my understanding that the IR sensor is behind the Apple logo, which is translucent plastic. The PBG4s and MBPs also use a translucent plastic Apple. They wouldn't have to change a thing for that.

The one thing that I'd like to see changed, across the board, is the placement of the sleep light. It'd seem to be more aesthetically pleasing if they put it behind the Apple logo too. Just seems odd to have it in the corner where there's nothing else there, and a glowing Apple would seem to be much nicer too.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
capran said:
The one thing that I'd like to see changed, across the board, is the placement of the sleep light. It'd seem to be more aesthetically pleasing if they put it behind the Apple logo too. Just seems odd to have it in the corner where there's nothing else there, and a glowing Apple would seem to be much nicer too.
couldn't agree more. but then again, do u really need a sleep light? waste of energy IMHO.

by the way, for those who haven't seen what a black imac MIGHT look like here it goes (it is photoshopped by the way):

 

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
93
0
Thanks for the pic. Very nice and classy. Too bad Apple wants to charge $150 extra for the black Macbook versus the white one.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
capran said:
Thanks for the pic. Very nice and classy. Too bad Apple wants to charge $150 extra for the black Macbook versus the white one.
does it really cost Apple more to make anything in black? or are they just raising the price b/c it "looks" nicer.

only the high end ipod nano is black, and like capran said, it's $150 more for a black macbook.

if they introduce a black iMac i hope they don't raise the price.
 

Sobering

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
233
0
Canada
wchong said:
couldn't agree more. but then again, do u really need a sleep light? waste of energy IMHO.

by the way, for those who haven't seen what a black imac MIGHT look like here it goes (it is photoshopped by the way):

Not something I would use :p. I'm gonna stick with the signature white.
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
wchong said:
does it really cost Apple more to make anything in black? or are they just raising the price b/c it "looks" nicer.
It really does cost more to have more colors: inventory, storage, everything gets more complicated, and economies of scale are reduced.

But when it's a high-end model that was going to exist separately anyway, some of the factors are lessened. Then Apple's just charging what people will pay :)
 

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
977
9
Boston, MA
After an update around January, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess there will be an update several months after that. I then predict the shocking development of another update several months later still. And one a handful of months after that! And then I think there could be an outside chance of yet another update, shocking as it may be, several months after that. Why stop at January when some of use can tell you what is to be expected for years to come :rolleyes:.

Edit - sorry that was a bit obnoxious. Been in a bad mood today
 

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
305
0
Denmark
Geh, nice pic but I wouldn't go for the black look for the iMac, tho' I did for the MB. Go figure. :D

[Edit] I don't think they'll be updated in January - there's gonna be a lot more happening on the MBP front (C2D may happen earlier, but I figure that a new enclosure would first happen then). If you're into torture and speculation about everything Apple in the future, look at the photokina thread......
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,538
1,452
that's a great pic. i would go for a black iMac or aluminum. goes better with my office.

funny how that photoshopped iMac is running on battery power.
 

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
1,005
0
Wheaton/Normal, IL
wchong said:
does it really cost Apple more to make anything in black? or are they just raising the price b/c it "looks" nicer.

only the high end ipod nano is black, and like capran said, it's $150 more for a black macbook.

if they introduce a black iMac i hope they don't raise the price.
The BlackBook really should cost more because the hard drive is 20GB bigger. As for whether that's worth $150 is up to you to decide.

Daniel.

P.S. They WILL raise the price of a black iMac.
 

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
93
0
BurtonCCC said:
The BlackBook really should cost more because the hard drive is 20GB bigger. As for whether that's worth $150 is up to you to decide.

Daniel.

P.S. They WILL raise the price of a black iMac.
It's not just the hard drive. Take a look at the high end white Macbook. Customize it with the same 80GB drive that the black one comes with. Guess what? White Macbook, $1349. Black Macbook $1499.

What's the difference? Nothing technical. Same CPU and speed, same amount of RAM, same Superdrive, same GMA950. Only the COLOR is different and the black is $150 more.

R I P O F F.

Yes, the black one looks nicer, that's it.