Are we just assuming the iPad Pro 9.7" is getting Apple Pencil support because of the "pro"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shyam09, Mar 20, 2016.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I've seen a lot of people comment that the upcoming iPad Pro 9.7" will have Apple Pencil support. AFAIK - I haven't seen any article explicitly mention that (like the smart connector for example). I'm guessing it's just being implied because it's a smaller version of the iPad Pro?

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

That's my take on it. Why call it a pro if it can't use all the pro's current accessories?

3. noanker macrumors member

noanker

I agree. Apple would be really negligent to leave out Apple Pencil support on the 9.7" and take a loss in potential accessory sales.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

All articles mention pencil support, as the Pro moniker would align with the current iPad Pro, thus making sense that it'd support the pencil.

It already isn't a very 'pro' device, so to leave out pencil support would make it depressingly laughable.

SmartConnector hardly screams professional use, especially that it's only utilized so far with their keyboard case.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Everything we know about any of this is still speculation at this point. Sure, there are leaks, clues, reports, etc... but until Cook and company stand on the stage and announce it, it's all speculation.

That said, by this point in the process, much of the speculation will prove to be pretty accurate.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It only makes sense that newer tech gets passed down to "cheaper" and "lower" models as time goes on..

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

How do you even know the next iPad is going to have the Pro moniker....? The announcement is tomorrow, just hold your horses and you'll have a definitive answer in 24 hours....

8. Bentron macrumors 6502

If the rumoured $100 price bump is accurate, then Apple would need to at least attempt to justify it. What better way than allowing people to use the Apple Pencil with it (assuming they want to pay a bonus $100 to buy it)?

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I don't think Apple will have two iPads of the same name. Very confusing, hence Apple naming the 7.9' iPad mini. The iPad Pro is a more powerful iPad when compared to any other iPad. Whatever name Apple has decided on it won't have Pro in it. It will either iPad Air pro, or Air 3.

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

"iPad Air Pro" is getting too far into Microsoftian territory for naming an Apple product. But here's the thing, Apple already has multiple products with the same name: 11" MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Air. 13" MacBook Pro, 15" MacBook Pro.

What we are seeing here is that if the rumors are true, Apple is going towards a similar split on their iPads: 8" iPad, 10" iPad. 10" iPad Pro, 13" iPad Pro. The naming mess in the short term is more not wanting to rename / rebrand a particular model during it's lifecycle. Again, assuming the rumors are true, I'm going to start expecting that the 8/10" iPads will get updated at the same time, with the same specs, and the 10"/13" Pros will get updated at the same time with the same specs. And much like the MacBook / MacBook Pro split, the "Pro" line will represent more connectivity, higher end specs, and higher cost.

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

It's 1.5 hours to the keynote - we'll know for sure in 4 hours.... Patience everyone....

12. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The more you explained it, I get it. I never really paid attention to the Mac naming. (15' MacBook pro, 15' MacBook Pro W/Retina display..etc).

13. EatRiceInCal macrumors newbie

I believe they had to name it 'pro' to justify the $100 price bump from prior iPad releases.