Are we really going to see two new iPhones this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmbraceTheOne, Jul 28, 2013.

1. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

I personally don't know what to think. Is it possible? Yeah. After watching this interview of Tim Cook, around 38 minutes he was asked about different price points, etc. He states "Our north star is to make the best product." "Our objective isn't to make this design for this kind of price point."

Will we see a cheaper iPhone?

Skip ahead to 41 minutes. They start talking about "cheaper" iPhones.
    Then shortly after that Tim Cook was asked about making a smaller iPad. :rolleyes:;):p

I dont know! I know this has been brought up alot. I just find this interesting. If you havn't watched the interview, I strongly suggest it. :)

:apple:

2. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Probably without a doubt maybe ;)

On a serious note though I really hope so, bring on the cheaper iPhone! :D

3. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I believe so but it will be two screen sizes. Two identical screen sizes makes no sense. There will be a cheaper model with a 4 inch screen and a 4.5 high end model.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Seems like there is a lot of talk about it but my gut still says know. We'll just have to wait and see.

5. vahalla macrumors member

Wouldn't be bad. Still, there's no reason a lower cost iPhone should have to be plastic.

I mean why buy plastic when you could get a iPhone 4/4S for the same price?

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The "analysts" continue to suggest yes and recent articles I read this morning suggest September 6th. Not sure what is true but I would venture to guess that we'll see new iPhones this year as we have every year.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

FYI, the 4/4S don't have LTE, don't have lightning connector, don't have tall phone syndrome, don't support AirDrop, on and on.

Why not buy plastic when it is a better device?

8. vahalla macrumors member

I swore off plastic after the HP TouchPad.

9. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Do you use the Apple supplied power adapters, or have you found some aftermarket alternative you prefer?

10. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I think the general idea is that the 4/4S would be discontinued, thus ending Apples "fragmented" screen sizes. I think I also read somewhere that the materials for the chassis (glass/steel) make it harder for Apple to sell the 4/4S at a reduced price and still have a high profit margin.

11. vahalla macrumors member

I would never use a plastic tablet, phone or laptop.

12. dvoros macrumors 6502

Two New iPhones

No, there will only be the iPhone 5C which stands for "Cheap". The iPhone 5s is not new but old technology with incremental updates.

13. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You would if Apple makes it.

14. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well...He's got a point. :apple::rolleyes:

15. richard6r macrumors regular

No I don't think so. We haven't any seen any other iPhone in the leaks other than the very photogenic plastic iPhone. Theres so many sources claiming that they have the 5S board but it can very well be the "5C" like the newest leak has shown.

One iPhone. Just my few cents :rolleyes:

16. EmbraceTheOne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree with you. We havn't really seen leaks about a second iPhone. Maybe the plastic will be the 5S. Who knows.

17. waa1futs macrumors 6502

Boom.

Talk about speaking the truth & making people realize facts they don't want to face! :p

18. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lmao, such a fanboy

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Welcome to macrumors.com, maybe you didn't realize what domain you were visiting.

20. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

i come on here whenever I'm bored at work, apple fanboy always make my day go by faster

21. cynics macrumors G3

What is people's gripe with plastic? Just cause it doesn't "feel" as high of quality?

A lot of very good things are made of plastic. Its all about how its implemented in my opinion.

Its light, its durable, its not as cold or hot to the touch, it doesn't rely on coatings that can be easily scratched, it can lower production cost and savings be passed to the consumer, etc.

I wrap my phone in a plastic case anyway. Could really careless what people think when they see it. A lot of you aluminum snobs (not meaning that offensively) would barf if you saw my lifeproof case that's beat to pieces and held together with epoxy (literally).

22. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

make the iPhone outta trash bag and apply fanboy will still make excuses to like it

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

The way I see it is that the iPhone 5 isn't going to be that far behind the iPhone 5S in terms of specs for them to offer it as a "cheaper iPhone" in the way that the 4S is being sold now. So instead of offering the 4S alongside the 5S, Apple want to discontinue the 5 and introduce the 5C so that all devices have the lightening connector.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If there is one thing I have learned about interviews with a CEO is to take their words with a dump truck full of salt.

I suppose the best evidence that they DO focus on different price points is their iPod lineup. That runs anywhere from $50 to $300+ depending on the user's needs, wants, and pocketbook. Even their computers show strong evidence of developing for different audiences. If they Didn't, they'd have one model laptop, one model desktop, and that is it.

Our objective isn't to make this product at this kind of price point my ASS! If they think it will sell (and it will) OF COURSE that would be an objective.

----------

Eco-friendly. DUH!

25. cynics macrumors G3

What is the motivation for Apple to push the lightning connector so aggressively?

Make more money selling more expensive cables? That's kind of a wash since new devices include the cable in the box.

There's not that much if any fragmentation being caused by it especially since its a USB on the other end of both.

Help push 3rd party manufactures to lightning? Not really a benefit to push your competitors to make better products. Regardless there are adapters.

This is something I don't see why force it when time will naturally and inexpensively take care of it itself.