Are we stuck with huge bezels on the iPhone permanently due to Touch ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Sep 7, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

The huge bezels on the iPhone is a glaring disadvantage for the iPhone when it comes to size of the phone relative to the screen size. I personally would love an iPhone without a physical home button. But are we stuck with it since the Touch ID is integrated into the button? Any chance Apple figures out a different way to integrate the Touch ID sensor?

2. cebseb macrumors regular

The touchid module can be placed anywhere on the device. The side or even the rear of the phone. What won't move is the round home button. Apple seems to be invested in that look.

3. Izauze macrumors 6502

They already have patents on other solutions. I think it's just a matter of time. How much time though, I'm not sure.

I'd be surprised to see it on the iPhone 7. But then, I'd also be surprised if they go all the way to 2016/2017 with huge top/bottom bezels still.

4. APPLE-FANATIC macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

I hope they get rid of the ugly bezel this time around.:cool:

5. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

On screen home bottom and eliminate the actual home button for good. This is the only way I see the bezel situation getting better. But then again that home button makes the iPhone really stand out.

6. opentoe macrumors newbie

The touch ID feature is just a scanner/capture device. Doesn't even need to be a button at all. They can put the capture device right behind glass if they wanted to and make an all glass/screen without a button at all. Basically like a virtual button. But that would be looking to much like Android, which has no buttons so I doubt Apple would ever dismiss that manual home button.

7. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

The home button screams 'iPhone'. That's how I recognize it.

I'll admit, there is a bit of room on top and bottom of the button, so there is room to shrink it.

I think we'll see a minor decrease of bezel, but nothing spectacular.

8. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i actually really like the bezel and would consider a 5s if the next iPhone had none...

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

We'll have to wait on the iPhone 7 (2016) for Apple to take care of that.

10. Radiating macrumors 65816

I like the bezel on the bottom it gives you room to hold the device without doing anything to the touch screen.

11. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Apple will not make the bezel asymmetrical, so the only way I foresee losing a chunk of that bezel is by losing the button.

And to do this, the touch ID would have to be implemented into the screen. From what I understand we won't be seeing this anytime soon as it's not feasible yet as the screen has to be 500ppi.

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You hodld your phone by the bottom bezel?

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Should just make the home button smaller and/or move touchID under the screen if possible.