Are you a music snob?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Do you ever hear something on the radio, think it’s great…up unitl the DJ announces “and that’s the new single %SOMETHING% by %SOMEONE%”. Then all of a sudden you don’t like it anymore :eek:

I used to be, and probably still am to a certain extent. But I do think it’s something you grow out of as you get older, and stop careing so much about what other people think of you and your “coolness” :rolleyes:

So are you a music snob? Go on…I bet you are…not even just a little bit? :D

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....definitely yes, but only up to a certain point. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to music and my collection very much demonstrates this...but I definitely carry a few prejudices too......oh yeah!

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
edesignuk said:
Then all of a sudden you don’t like it anymore :eek:
There are some bands I don't like 'on principle' - usually because they're repackaged, catchy versions of other, more innovative bands. Yeah, that's a convulted way of saying Muse and Darkness et al. I'm completely irrational and childish, but certain bands will never, ever deserve my money, or respect, regardless of how great their new album is. Which it won't be, of course. :rolleyes:

Heheh... I have found I've opened my mind over the past few years, though. Must be becoming less "Highly strung" - yeah, been called that before...

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Pah. DJ's? Radio? All rubbish. Gimme vinyl. Scratches. 1950's mono recordings. Classical music. Yeah.

Music snob? Moi? :p ;) :D

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
I am a music snob, but more in the sense of thinking less of people when they state, "OMFG! Did j00 h34r that 1337 n3w single by DJ Little<enter-one-syllable-name>!!??1oneoneone"

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Of course. All music I don't like is automatically crap.... ;)

I've actually got a lot more eclectic in my listening as I've gotten older, it's cool to hear stuff I used to hate and think "that's not bad at all, in fact I like it..."

It means I have a huge new range of music to listen to.

Mind there are some things I'd sooner hammer hot nails into my ears than listen to... :D

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
A lot of times I hear a song and think, "Hey, that's pretty good." Then I hear who it's by and think, "Man, my friends won't let me live this on down." So I sort of don't let anyone know I like it. But usually with a song like that I grow to not like it so much after a while. I think it's because the songs like that are cheap, catchy tunes that don't really hold up well. I begin to remember why the band has a bad reputation.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
I am a music snob in the sense that most of the stuff on the radio here in the US (DC that is) is crap and I always have the same feeling .... "I thought I heard the same song 30 minutes ago / 3 years ago". Though I must admit that NYC has great radio stations. At least radio in Europe is little more daring. Haven't dared to try XM or Sirius yet.

DearTabatha

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2005
Well, considering what's on the radio these days, I'm usually not impressed enough by anything to be a snob about the artist. However, I am less inclined to check out from songs from a group if they have a radio single that I like -- if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I prefer "aficionado" :D

Heck, my iPod has everything from Dan Fogelberg to ZZ Top to Sublime to Beastie Boys to Garth Brooks to Enya to .... I generally run the shuffle on all songs and am amazed at what I've got on there. Of course, I just finished loading it up this month, so a lot of it is still "new"!

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Definitely.

I am 99% Rock and Roll. I don't consider the majority of what I hear my younger friends listening to Rock and Roll. Pink Floyd is probably my favorite band, or Led Zepplin, depending on what mood I am in when I wake up. Lots of Jimi Hendrix lately too. And Beatles.

I dont listen to rap, with the exception of amazing talent such as Outkast.

I love Jazz, but am sort of picky about what I personally buy and keep on the iPod. Charles Mingus gets a ton of spin time when I am working on art. As far as newer jazz acts, I like Medeski, Martin, and Wood. Down to the Bone, too. A lot of the jazz I listen to is recorded by some of my guitar friends who 99% of people have never heard of.

Newer rock bands I really enjoy are Mars Volta, Incubus, Radiohead, Beck, Travis, Coldplay, Supergrass, Dropsonic, Bjork tons of others. Even though I am only 22, most new bands just don't seem to move me, with the exception of those I listed.

I hate emo, indie, screamo, scene, or whatever its called with a fervent passion.

Linkin Park, nu-metal, scream-rapping or whatever needs to go away really fast too.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
My first reaction when reading through this thread was to criticise some of the groups and performers that had been mentioned. :eek:

I guess I need say no more...

robfenn

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Kent, UK
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....definitely yes, but only up to a certain point. I try to keep an open mind when it comes to music and my collection very much demonstrates this...but I definitely carry a few prejudices too......oh yeah!
HAHAHA..if i could travel back in time i would stab you to death and steal your forum name and sig. Class!

Anyway, i hate anything commercial. Unless a song has been written by the artist and has some emotional rage in it i'm just not interested. I would recommend bands such as:

The Used
Funeral For a Friend
Dashboard Confessional

I can't emphasise how good those bands are. If you don't agree with me, you just really suck.

-Rob

robfenn

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2005
Kent, UK
Mike Teezie said:
Definitely.
Newer rock bands I really enjoy are Mars Volta, Incubus, Radiohead, Beck, Travis, Coldplay, Supergrass, Dropsonic, Bjork tons of others. Even though I am only 22, most new bands just don't seem to move me, with the exception of those I listed.

I hate emo, indie, screamo, scene, or whatever its called with a fervent passion.

Linkin Park, nu-metal, scream-rapping or whatever needs to go away really fast too.
Right. I actually challenge you to a duel.

Why do you hate emo music? The whole thing about music is being able to relate to its content which is the essence of emo music.

I laugh at your opinions, hahaha!

Fair enough though..

-Rob

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
robfenn said:
Right. I actually challenge you to a duel.

Why do you hate emo music? The whole thing about music is being able to relate to its content which is the essence of emo music.

I laugh at your opinions, hahaha!

Fair enough though..

-Rob
Why? Because on the whole, a genre that prides itself on being "different" from everything else has spawned so many look-alikes, sound-alikes, and act-alikes that one band is almost indistiguishable from the next.

I've been a musician for my entire life, and I can't tell the difference in most of these bands. I gave it a chance. Went to the shows, toured with emo bands, and I just get no inspiration from it. This was 3-4 years ago, before it went all-MTV. It's even worse now. The whole "movement" seems so contrived.

And emo isnt the oly music that's about making a connection with the content, ALL music is about connection.

But at the end of the day, listen to waht moves you. I'm not going to come delete your emo off of your iPod.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I am definitely NOT a music snob. When I think "music snob" means is someone who either keeps a band they like secret so that it never gets popular; and someone who thinks a band "sold out" just because they a) make money, b) on MTV or c) on the radio.

I am a lover of MUSIC, and ALL kinds of music. If there is something I like, the first thing I do is tell people about it or put it on a mix CD/iTunes playlist. I don't dig up extremely rare bands that no one has ever heard of before just to make myself seem "cool" -- but a lot of people do.

Fishes,
narco.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
robfenn said:
HAHAHA..if i could travel back in time i would stab you to death and steal your forum name and sig. Class!
First of all, this is one of the funniest comments I have read on this forum in a while! Thanks, robfenn.

I must admit I am a bit of a music snob. Some of the music I like is on the radio, but much of it is not. I do know what you mean, edesignuk, I hear stuff on the radio and like it. Then the DJ announces it and I think to myself, "Oh god, I like one of their songs! F#*k me!"

I like to refer to these songs as guilty pleasures. Us music snobs don't like to admit that we listen to them and like them, but I think we all have them. For example, and I'm really making myself vulnerable here. :) I like Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me". I realize she was manufactured by the RIAA. I know she lip-sync'ed on SNL and then did a stupid dance and blamed her band who hadn't screwed up. I don't want to like this song, but I do - it's catchy. I even bought the song on iTMS. I can't believe I'm supporting this garbage! :D

Fellow music snobs, please forgive me.