Are You A Racist? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 29, 2015.

?

Are you a racist?

1. Yes

38.2%
  2. No

61.8%
  1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Simple question, are you a racist? Answers are public.

Given all the overt racism, I thought this was appropriate.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, I'm not a racist. I hate everyone equally.:p

3. smellysox8 macrumors regular

The people who answered no aren't answering honestly.

Never mind. Sorry, I forgot racists only hate black people.

4. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I don't want to be, but as a human being I don't think I can help being at least somewhat racist.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Those of you that have voted "no" should examine yourselves a bit closer.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

From people on all sides of the discussion here lately, the most troubling part is seeing such sweeping generalizations being made about ethnic groups. It makes me wonder if forum members here live in insular bubbles where they never have to interact with people "outside of their own kind." There's no way I could generalize white people or black people, or Asians, or hispanics, during commentary on current events. That would cause me to overlook the INDIVIDUALS I know from every group... my friends, my family, my peers... who continue to be examples of fantastic people. To make blanket statements would be a disservice to anyone who I respect. Does this really need to be said?

7. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am racist against racists. If somebody doesn't want to have anything to do with a person because of their color, or don't approve of a job that is being done because of the color of the person doing the job, then I have nothing to do with that person because they are a racist.

That being said I am all for major parties fielding candidates who are of color but at the same time I have no issue with saying I am not a fan of the president (though he was a better choice than the GOP nominees) and far less of a fan of ultra-conservative Herman Cain. Could the major parties have done better choosing a person of color? Certainly. Personally I would have much preferred someone like Jesse Jackson for the democrats and Colin Powell for the republicans if that were the case.

I applaud that the republicans have two high profile Hispanic politicians who have put their hat in the ring, but I am only happy for the precedent they are making (Rubio and Cruz) but I don't approve of their politics as they stand on the issues right now. If either one moves to the center a lot between now and Nov. 2016 then I will take another look. What I don't want to see is for somebody*to tell me that I am being a racist because I don't like Rubio or Cruz.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I think the bigger issue is there is subtle racism rather than overt racism. There is also institutionalized racism, where it is so ingrained into society that it is not thought about or even considered.

Like for instance, studies regarding responses from resumes based on 'black sounding' and 'white sounding' names, where the white names get a much higher percentage of call backs. Is that overt racism? Or is it subconscious racism?

We often see in business that people tend to hire people like themselves which may be a sign of subconscious racism and even sexism. But then there are things like how does the media portray certain instances, it also appears to be a form of institutionalized racism.

So in general, I'd say nearly everyone has some bias as there are man factors that can contribute. Many of them or subconscious but others are conscious.

9. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

That is exactly what many said of conservatives because they disagree with most of what Obama wants/wanted to do when in reality it has/had nothing to do with skin color. Sure there are idiots who don't like Obama simply because he's black but then you have the idiots who voted for him purely because he's black. One of the things the left is extremely good at is getting a label to stick even when not true.

10. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very well said.

11. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I put yes. I see race. I try not to but I do. Anyone who put no I'm inclined to question their inner honesty.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Racist, sexist, ageist, weightist, beautyist, and more.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    We're all a bunch of 'ists around here.

14. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Great question, however, I do not believe anyone can answer correctly. Opinions are like mouths; Everyone has one, and they all suck from time to time.

I honestly don't believe I could be racist, even if I tried. I believe I am too aware of my heritage and have seen too many things to try to form an opinion of a person by the color of their skin or ethnicity.

This is a better question for peers. Do you think I am racist? Or, basd on your judgement, is anyone racist on this forum? I can answer that question quite easily.:D

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree.

Self-assessment is a very inaccurate measure.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

17. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

You posted a video showing racism against white people.... You get that right?

"My prom date was very white... she road horses and all that..."

I think, to be honest, there is more racism towards white culture now, than ever before.

Riots in the streets because white cops kill black people, and now this.... im sorry but wow. Just wow. The media is controlling an anti white ******** movement, and as a Native American it makes me sick.

18. leenak macrumors 68020

It is trying to show how black people are portrayed in the media by doing the same twist on a story involving white people. When it is black people, most people accept it without question but as you can see, it is blatant racism. I've seen it time and time again where someone reporting about black people says "I'm not racist, I have black friends, I even dated a black person" so it is the twist on that.

And it isn't riots in the streets because white cops kill black people, it is riots in the street due to repeated oppression and abuse by cops which resulted in an unjustified death of a black man.

19. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I saw it as saying the definition of color is null. They are rioters and criminals. Doesn't matter the color. Prosecute them and move on. The media likes the ad money from all of these riots. People watch it on TV in fear or they get on the internet and have a comment war; all the while the media is making $$$.

20. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I try very hard not to be. Do I always succeed? Probably not. I think we all have our prejudices.

21. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I'm not a racist. I believe all people should be treated fairly regardless of gender, color, creed...

22. smellysox8 macrumors regular

Some of the people who voted no are the biggest racists here.

23. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I have never been racist a day in my life. I only react to race when it's an obvious racial situation.

Those that are racist are probably the quickest to get conned, cause it only makes sense that a racist depends more on perception rather than what's actual.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There might be more criticism ... but racism?

That would require some kind of proof for me to accept. (Though I'm not asking you to provide it. This isn't a "show me a source" moment.)

----------

I believe that too.

But we don't always live up to what we believe in.