Are you a Vegan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacintoshMaster, Aug 3, 2011.

?

Are you a Vegan?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. No

249 vote(s)
    91.2%
  1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Are you a Vegan?
    I am because:
    1. No animal cruelty
    2. Healthier
    3. Gives more stamina, strength and speed.

If a vegan diet is done well it is the best thing on earth. Some vegans have a lack of protein but in my vegan diet I have upto 217g of protein a day.
    I eat many nuts, vegetables and 2 vegan protein shakes a day.

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh FFS!
    Not another vegan thread.

How many does this forum need? :confused:

Here and here.

They all end in tears.

3. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

No I am not a vegan. The primary reason being that if I was, I would be required to become a pompous ******* that couldn't shut the **** up about being vegan.

4. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

How?

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How you ask?

That is how.
    ;)

6. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

He is just jealous

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Vegan or not, getting your daily dose of nuts is crucial to a happy life.

I do question why people feel this need to inform everyone that they're vegan. I respect it if they are as they should respect me that I am not. But I'll never get why it's so important to advertise it. A vegan is no better than a non-vegan so it just doesn't compute for me. I know many vegans and they're all nice people but if I saw them sucking on a pound of bacon one day they would still hold the same value to me as if they didn't eat meat. Vegan is how they eat, not who they are.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Source?

Source?

So do you think it's better to consume extremely processed food, i.e. protein shakes, instead of getting the protein from natural sources (e.g. meat)? I fail to see how that is healthier.

Also, it's not only the amount of protein but the ratio of nutrients. 217g isn't much if you eat 500g of fat and 500g of carbos a day.

Exactly. Vegans seem to have some kind of urge to spread their word and "convert" other people. If you want to be a vegan, go ahead, but don't make it our business.

What would it be if we all meat eaters started converting vegans? Would you like that?

Mainly because people fail to provide sources and their view is too biased.

Everything too extreme is bad, be it a vegan, only meat eater or anything to do with politics. Everything with moderation is the key to victory.

9. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Are you a Vegan?
    I'm not because:
    1. Animal population control
    2. Healthier
    3. Gives more stamina, strength and speed.

If a normal diet is done well it is the best thing on earth and requires no protein shakes or other processed food.

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Olympic 100m hero Usain Bolt powered by chicken nuggets and yams

11. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Only 20g of my protein comes from a protein shake. And I never eat carbs and the fat I do eat I burn off at the gym.

(To knightwrx - Vegan diet is the "normal" diet for humans)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Since when? Sources?

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Who gets to decide what is the "normal" diet for humans? :confused:

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

You need to go back to school, sunshine.

P.S. Perfect post, Jessica.

15. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

Because a humans bowels are too long, so the meat gets stuck and rots etc.. a dogs bowels are very short so can be digested faster. A humans jaw moves side to side, up and down (Like a cow) - a dogs jaw moves up and down only.
    There are tons more - When I have some extra time I'll find some websites etc... as I'm busy setting up my table for my new powermac G5!

plus, why kill animals for protein when there are nuts?

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm thinking of starting a "Have you started a thread about veganism yet?" thread.

No I'm not. I used to be vegetarian, simply because my parents were. When I left home I started eating meat. Eating lots of meat or crap-processed stuff is bad, but balancing it with plenty of fruit, veg, cereals etc is fine.

MacintoshMaster- veganism istn the normal human diet. We are omnivores, that's what we evolved to be. You can eliminate meat and still be heathly, but it isn't "normal".

17. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Mmm chicken nuggets. Im not a vegan, i eat chicken, fish, eggs and honey. I believe all of these things are good for you. I also mix in vegetables as well to balance it all out

18. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I use to eat meat 2 years ago (sadly)
    I felt depressed, tired, weak etc...
    I feel more powerful and happier being a vegan.

But my number 1 reason is ANIMAL RIGHTS.
    Why kill a cow? What rights do I have to kill a cow? A cow doesn't want to kill me. Cows are really nice and gentle!

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm lost. The movement of our jaws somehow says that a vegan lifestyle is normal for humans?

As far as the bowels, I'll give you that our bowels are longer than say a dog. However, if your diet is balanced (meat, greens, grains etc) then meat doesn't get stuck. Grains can build up in your body and tie you up, no doubt.

You're telling me things but you're not citing a source. If you want everyone to be Vegan or you believe it is "normal" then you need to educate first. Let us read about your lifestyle and learn. It doesn't mean we'd agree but it does suggest that we can at least see your side. Likewise, you do the same. Something tells me that you won't though.

20. MacintoshMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

I will - just moving a table and sorting hundreds of wires and sound cards, microphones, audio racks, initialling logic, sibelius, OS X. I will when I have time because explaining will take some time.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not a vegan because dead animals are delicious.

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Why does it matter if somebody else is vegan or not? What difference does it make to you?

Stick to your beliefs...if you want to be vegan, nobody here is stopping you. If you don't want to be, by all means, eat some meat.

No, I'm not vegan. I see no benefit. The only thing that affects me is sometimes when I'm eating some meat, I can picture the animal being killed. And that makes me want to not eat it. If they were actually put out in a humane way, then I'd be fine with it. But alas, they're mass-produced, factory bred. :mad:

Yet, I continue to eat meat....I needs me some protein.

EDIT: By the way, are you the only one who voted yes to being a vegan in the poll?

23. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am a vegetarian because i don't want to kill animals in order to feed myself. i am not quite a vegan, because i eat dairy products occasionally (a pizza here and there, or some buttered bread).

it is a healthy diet. it is not cruel to animals. and i do feel energetic.

i don't know if it is healthier (than what?) or if it gives someone more energy (than what?). i wouldn't necessarily call other diets "cruel" to animals. i suppose my cheese eating could be "cruel", but that depends on the dairy product producer. i buy most of my stuff from local organic farms, and from the ones i have seen, it doesn't seem terribly cruel.

at any rate, this is yet another thread that seems to suggest vegans are holier than thou. i seem to remember a saying about splinters in your brother's eye and planks in your own...

my partner is a meat eater. you can bet i don't sit down at the table every day and proclaim my superiority, especially when i am arguably less healthy and less energetic :(

24. Al1n macrumors member

Al1n

No, ofc I'm not a vegan.
    Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Also i don't give a **** about the environment, i don't hug trees, i drive a Mustang and not a ****ing prius, i like to hunt, i'm not gay, i'm not racist, i don't believe in god, i'm a Mac user and a Pink Floyd fan.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I get it, you have a old computer coming. Yet you continue to post and presumably vote down the posts that disagree with you. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as far as protein and nuts. Nuts aren't complete protein. I'll give you a link ... something you seem to fall short on here.
    http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm

Oh and look, something about a healthy colon.
    http://healthyjourney.org/Colon-Digestion.htm

Read down about what meat does ... I'll quote it for you.
    There is "evidence" for and against everything, even veganism. Again, I don't disrespect someone who is but I certainly won't live that lifestyle myself. It's not in my nature to turn down a good piece of meat.