Are you addicted to social media?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Jul 11, 2017.

?

Are you addicted to social media?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Undecided

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I had a friend at the house the other day (yes I have one or 2) that stated he was addicted to social media and specifically Facebook. I was a little surprised. I had heard of this, but I have personally never felt the pull of an "addiction". I check Facebook anywhere from once a week to once a month. And post something about twice a year.

Also when it comes to message boards. I post on about 3, with this being the only political board. None of those do I feel the "need" or "must" to check or post. Even with PRSI I tend to disappear for a while and come back.

Do any of you feel like you may be "addicted" to any form of social media?

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I dumped facebook 8 years ago. Now I mostly browse three different forums(gun, here, and vehicle specific one) and mostly because I'm bored and have nothing better to do/stuck in front of a computer.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No, I can stop anytime I want! Now excuse me while I tweet a picture of my breakfast and like my cousins new baby pictures.

4. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I prefer forums with a common interest and currently don’t have a social media presence. I prefer the ignorance of strangers over the ignorance of people I know.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Is PRSI addiction healthier than social media addiction?

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Social media? Nope.

But during my college years, I was addicted so the MUD (multi-user dungeons/domain), the precursor to today's MMORPG. It started to affect my grades, so I had to quit cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but dropping out and living off Gub'ment handouts wasn't idea of the 'Merican Dream.

I knew I couldn't quit on my own and only deleting my character isn't gonna stop me either. I rebuilt a high level character in under a week. I knew all best gear and best difficulty to experience mob for every level. I also knew a few illegal tricks; I could learn EVERY skill regardless of class.

So I did the only sensible thing I could think of: got my ass banned. I found a glitch in the game where I could learn skills outside my character class. I made sure to use those fancy skills where EVERYONE could see me doing it. My character was a warrior. Seeing a back-stabbing (thief skill), fire ball hurling (mage skill), heal casting (cleric skill) warrior raised a few eyebrows. The game had no multi-class. When the Imp (implementor/admin) confronted me about it, I did not deny. Hail, I laugh and ask, "Whatcha gonna do about it?" Well, what he did was drop the ban hammer and lock my IP from the game.

Finally managed to quit and get my head on straight.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Social media will never be half as addicting as Evercrack.

fip.jpg

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I don't have a Facebook account and I haven't logged into my twitter in months (I have it mainly to follow local news). This is the only message board I read/post on.

I think I've been addicted to other things in the past, but I'm pretty sure social media isn't a problem for me.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It wasn't Moosehead was it?

I'm old enough to where all my friends on facebook I've actually met more than once, I've probably taken under a dozen 'selfies', don't have instagram, only have a twitter account to read news. I'd say look at and use social media, but addicted? No. I don't have a insta-grace compulsion to post pictures of all my meals, I don't post everything going on in my life ... and I can quit anytime... I just choose not too! :D

10. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I started using PRSI recreationally on the weekends. Then I'd sneak on occasionally during the week. Now I find myself hitting up PRSI in the morning before work and sneak outside during the day.

I tried cutting down on PRSI but I gained weight.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm currently addicted to following the Trump train wreck through Twitter, TV news, this forum, and C-Span. There are also times when I find a fandom I like and obsessively read all the fanfic and cast news I can find. These obsessive periods come and go in waves. It's not exactly limited to social media, but social media can lead part of it.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Nope. One was MeatMud and the other was Glass Dragon. They were several months from implementing multi-class in Meat, when I learned of the bug.

I got banned from Glass Dragon for duplicating quest gears, by causing the MUD to crash and reboot. The absolute best gear available (when I was active) was a level 1 Glass Dragon collar (+1000 to HP/MP, +50 hit/dam). Normally it was a level 90 item (highest level attainable without being promoted by the IMP). I had a stash of over 50 level 1 Glass Dragon collars. Wearing 2 collars, I could go from level 1 to level 50 in under an hour all while using the sub-standard dagger.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I was addicted to MacRumors before social media existed.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

MacRumors was my first experience with forums.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I wouldn't say addicted to social media as I can go away on holiday and not use it with little fuss. I do check Facebook about a dozen times a day and use Instagram daily. With family and friends spread out across the country I find it a useful and interesting tool to stay in touch. I've also reconnected with lost friends through it too.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I like Facebook because it gives me a solid way to talk to my buddy in Jordan and see photos of my cousin's second child from South Carolina.

It's a good place to trade quips, share stories, and chat. But, I don't check it all day.

Twitter seemed interesting at first, but I've decided that I hate it.

And, Instagram is worth a perusal once or twice a day. Tumblr used to be great, but it seems increasingly less valuable each year.

Meanwhile, my interns tell me I'm too old—re: cranky, cynical—for Snapchat.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is a bit entertaining but thats about it.

18. LizKat, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I spend far too much time in here pretty often, depending on whether I can get studio projects done with one eye on a laptop. An addiction, no. Not in the sense of feeling I have brought ill consequences on myself by hanging out in here. I'm still me. That's still my own navel I'm gazing at in here. :eek: And it's up to me when I walk way for days or weeks at a time. Or hang out only in What are You Listening To? Or just lurk in the photo galleries and don't even put likes on stuff tha takes my breath away sometimes.

"Social media" has always seemed like a misnomer to me. Facebook strikes me as an overkill solution to a bunch of problems we did not have, and some too-limited or possibly all-wrong answers to some questions we all do have from time to time. I had a setup for a short period of time. They updated their privacy policy, I read the new one and bailed. I would not be happy to have pre-teen kin using Facebook.

I've experimented with Pinterest from time to time regarding interests of mine in fabrics, gardening, etc. It takes some work to avoid the overcommercialized aspects, so my usage of it has huge gaps. I'm more inclined just to bookmark related blogs now instead.

Twitter to me is primarily an abbreviated and realtime version of emailed news briefings. I do follow other people of usually transient interest. Once in awhile I sit down and boot out everyone I'm following except a couple news outlets. On balance I find it useful, but not in a social sense, just compressed info.

I like seeing larger patterns and disruptions of them, and for those reasons I love music, language, poetry and math. And it's why I hang out here. Y'all are a bunch of experimental poets. I like being amongst your endeavors and reboots and "well, wait..." and I like when threads get derailed by tangential inquiries that matter. I like how many ways it becomes possible for long time members to tell each other to **** off without (well, usually without) getting suspended or banned. I like how we tolerate newbies and one-note-artists but not enough to let them ruin the dinner party of the evening.

The camaraderie of strangers here is fascinating, and completely different from that of the real world. Sharper edges, imagined compatibilities, more jostling and less deference but more willingness to share either down home truths or truthinesses than might be the case at a real dinner table. And willingness to answer practical questions at some length and with expertise in forums outside PRSI.

Above all, considering some of the sewage-laden alternatives to this forum, I appreciate the work of the moderators and the moderation guidelines if not always my experiences of the actual moderation. ;)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Admitting to watching C-Span. You really do have a problem. :p

20. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I guess not, since I don't have a FaceBook or Twitter account and my cellphone is a flip model which I carry and turn on only when I need to make a call.
    BTW I have the texting feature disabled since my carrier wants to charge for incoming calls and the only text I ever got was from them wishing me happy birthday and I wasn't about to pay for that.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Judging from votes in the poll so far, social media must be on the verge of collapse :D or else we're a really anomalous group. Or,,,, some of us are really kidding ourselves.

22. Chew Toy McCoy, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Maybe social media junkies aren't aware of forums, and I'd like to keep that way so they don't ruin it the way they ruined social media. When everybody got a nosebleed height soap box it all became noise.

23. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Twitter I have to say I did like better back when reporters weren't being pressed to tweet, tweet, tweet. They're to sit at their desks panicking as the clock ticks seconds away and they haven't tweeted jack yet and it's 11am? But they also haven't finished that report on what's up with the oil tankers rented by hedge funds and parked like spare water bottles out in the bays off Singapore. I'd rather they just report, and let some clerk summarize news pieces for tweeting the titles and links. I don't need snark and witty remarks from news reporters. Columnists and bloggers, fine.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

It's hard to stop watching train wrecks, huh?

trainwreck3.jpg

25. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

I do like reading forums from VWVORTEX, and catching up with family and friends on FB.
    I am totally addicted the PRSI and always eagerly waiting for an in depth eloquently response from @vrDrew , @LizKat, or well as @DrGolberg.
    There are many others whose responses I enjoy reading especially that midget (you know who you are) :p