Are you annoyed when you see people with their backlight on unnecessarily?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dba415, Dec 7, 2011.

?

Are you annoyed?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    91.8%
  1. dba415 macrumors 6502

Whenever I see someone who has their backlight on when it's bright as day outside or inside it annoys me for some reason. I never turn on my backlight unless it's actually dark and I can't see the keyboard.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The real question is why are you annoyed by that? How trivial...

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

When you say backlight, I think automatically about the display's backlight, you should be more precise.

With that said, it's their computer, let them be and get a life.

4. dba415 thread starter macrumors 6502

because it's wasteful

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wasteful of what? A quarter of a Watt or so? There are so much more other things one could save on that would have a much greater impact.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Hell that's the reason I drive a pick up truck. I love wasting gas...why not electricity too.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nope. I've got better things to do than worry about trivial things that other people do. To each his own, I guess.

And fretting over people that do this isn't wasteful? You have no better use of your time or concern?

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

It's not your computer... people can have the backlight on whenever they choose, and it's really not your responsibility to be worried about anyone's computer but your own.

My screen brightness is at max and my keyboard is fully lit up. I'm sitting in a well lit, bright room. I just happen to like using my computer this way. Even if it does use a bit more battery, I'm literally 3ft away from a wall outlet. It's my computer, and I should be able to use it however I like, and so should anyone else, and they should not be worried/concerned/annoyed.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What about the wastefulness in creating this thread, the time we use to read it, the CPU power of the servers, and the power used to run the Internet servers to deliver the content for this particular thread to us? What about that electricity that was wasted?

It's likely that this thread, being viewed and responded to wasted more electricity than your perceived annoyance for backlit keyboards being on during the day and you posting your beef with it here.

I've probably wasted a full percentage point of my iPhones battery on this thread.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I hope you don't have any lights on when you stay up at night worrying about stuff like this.

12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

This is interesting actually. I don't have my keyboard backlight on when there's sufficient ambient lighting, but I usually only have 1 bar of keyboard backlighting when there is poor ambient lighting. I suppose I'm naturally frugal about any resources, too.

I am not bothered, however, if I see other people with their keyboard backlighting on. It looks pretty cool and probably does shave a fraction of a second off their time searching for a key, or perhaps it gives them inspiration when typing up their document, composing, etc.

13. pat park macrumors 6502a

not bothered too much. I am really annoyed when I see Windows laptops. Now that really get's my hide!

14. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I just turned on my keyboard backlight just to annoy you. Did it work?

15. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

The OP does have a good point, it's unneccessary in a bright room. While what others do with their laptops are their own business, I do get slightly irked when I see an easily correctable waste (though in this case, it's more of an excess).

IMO, just let others be. If they were deliberately setting fire to gallons of fuel on a Spare the air day, than sure.... but something as minor as a backlit KB on a sunny day? Naw. I'd see the light seepage through the Apple logo as a bigger waste.

16. Akack macrumors 6502a

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Have you spoken to a psychiatrist about this?

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No, he doesn't. This is crazy.

It's easy to save much more power by reducing the display brightness, not using flash player, or actually, by not using the computer. Just closing the lid of the MBP instead of turning it off is a waste.

Anyways, we all have some crazy things we obsess about, while most other people don't care. So to answer the OPs question, no, it doesn't annoy me!

19. Sgt. Raven macrumors member

I guess you'd get really annoyed when you saw me running Windows 7 in a Parallels 7 VM under Lion. :p

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i tend not to be so nosey that i can tell if someone has their keyboard lit up or not

21. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Oh no...someone's using a much wanted feature to their advantage!!! :shock::shock::shock:

22. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

people using computers for utterly pointless crap.. now that's wasteful backlight or no..

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know Mac users can be a bit OCD but this is a little over the top. Getting annoyed by someone else deciding to have their back light on. Its their computer let them use it the way they deem, and you can worry about how you use your computer.

What's next, people start getting annoyed about when my iPhone screen turns off after non use. :rolleyes:

24. some idiot macrumors member

I didn't know I could turn it off... and I don't know how to

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Well I am glad this feature can be turned off anyway. It is a worthless feature anyway. Anyone with a one week typing class can learn how to type without looking at the keys.

Though I do like to leave features like this on once in a while, just so I can waste power. In your face Al Gore.