Are you avoiding iMessage entirely until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Jan 4, 2012.

?

Are you avoiding iMessage entirely until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. No

172 vote(s)
    90.5%
  1. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

All the talk of iMessage bugs have made me turn it off since the day I saw people talking about messages that don't send, etc. I'm waiting for this feature to be patched up.

How about you?

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No bugs here works perfect

3. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Suprisingly, Apple has released a feature which does NOT "just work".

Oh well, can't win'em all.

4. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

works great for me, what are these "bugs" that you speak of?

5. thestickman macrumors regular

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Bugs like if someone iMessages me while I'm on iPad in living room, it goes to iPhone in bedroom on charger, and not to iPad.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Never happened to me, interesting.

8. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

My wife and I try to use it all the time but sometimes they send as iMessage but other times as a text. Sometimes get the same iMessage twice also.

9. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Is that really a bug or bad settings?

10. kolax macrumors G3

It's a bit of a mess regarding people with iPads, iPod touches and iPhones - using their number on their iPhone for iMessage, and email on iPad and iPod touch.

I've noticed that in group messages, if someone is using an iPad or iPod touch, occasionally it'll create a whole new group message rather than continuing on from the previous one.

But apart from that, I've had no issues. Really happy with it.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I haven't encountered any bugs. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

12. AndyinAtl macrumors member

13. Daveoc64, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I just don't see the need for the feature.

I never pay to receive SMS and I have more than enough free SMS in my allowance.

I don't like the way it's been implemented. If I could opt-in to iMessage and only use it for contacts who don't have SMS then I would, but it adds an unnecessary layer into a well established system that has proven to be unreliable so far.

14. Antidoll macrumors regular

The only problem that I had with iMessage was with ONE number which imessage decided that user had imessage (he did not have access to the internet) so he never received my messages until I turned off iMessage....

15. kolax macrumors G3

What's there not to like? It is integrated into the Messages app and you have to do nothing to decide iMessage or SMS.

It offers group messaging abilities too, and you can send images for free, as opposed to an MMS (which cost me money on an unlimited text plan).

Also lets me send messages with no cell reception via WiFi.

16. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I will agree that iMessage should be an opt-in feature when you first install the OS or buy a new iPhone, just so that people are aware of what they are getting into.

Actually, the person above is correct. There should be 3 options for iMessage:

• On
    • Off
    • Let me decide who gets iMessages

17. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I turned it off on my iPad because of bugs, but use it on my iPhone.

18. kolax macrumors G3

What's wrong with it? Aware of what they are getting into?

19. Antidoll macrumors regular

lol @ "aware of what they getting into"

iMessage is NOT automatically activated on a phone... you'll have to activate it by going to settings etc...

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have the option to turn imessages off. There's no point for turning it off for one person. If the person doesn't have an iphone, you can still send a sms.
    Personally, I think you should re-title your poll, as there are some of us who don't have issues. Either that or leave out the "until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?"

21. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

This has happened to me occasionally, but only when i'm at my parents house (their internet is sub-par). Not sure if that's the reason or if it's just a coincidence. But that issue isn't enough to make me stop using iMessage, as the messages get delivered to my iPad shortly after (maybe 1-5 minutes).

Other than that, I've never had a problem with iMessage and love it! (as I do not own an iPhone anymore, just an iPad and iPod). It certainly beats using textPlus, which I now only use for 2 friends who don't use iOS devices.

22. coolhands macrumors regular

It fails on me daily, sends texts to people rather than an iMessage (which is really annoying when iMessging someone on an iPod Touch or an iPad). I still love how fast it sends and receives messages though.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Generally, I try something for myself to see if it works for me, instead of relying on "all the talk" to dictate for me what I should and shouldn't be using.

Maybe you should do the same. Try it and see if it works for you. If not, you can turn it back off.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I voted yes, but not because of bugs. I'm avoiding it because it's of no use to me.

25. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

No bugs for me. You need to set your messages Caller ID to your Apple ID So they can be received on your iPad as well. The sender also needs to send it to your Apple ID, not your phone number. Also, iMessages can be disabled in the settings. It works as described for me and millions of others.