Are you avoiding iMessage entirely until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?

Are you avoiding iMessage entirely until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?

• Yes

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 172 90.5%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
All the talk of iMessage bugs have made me turn it off since the day I saw people talking about messages that don't send, etc. I'm waiting for this feature to be patched up.

How about you?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
All the talk of iMessage bugs have made me turn it off since the day I saw people talking about messages that don't send, etc. I'm waiting for this feature to be patched up.

How about you?
No bugs here works perfect

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Bugs like if someone iMessages me while I'm on iPad in living room, it goes to iPhone in bedroom on charger, and not to iPad.

Vundu

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
My wife and I try to use it all the time but sometimes they send as iMessage but other times as a text. Sometimes get the same iMessage twice also.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It's a bit of a mess regarding people with iPads, iPod touches and iPhones - using their number on their iPhone for iMessage, and email on iPad and iPod touch.

I've noticed that in group messages, if someone is using an iPad or iPod touch, occasionally it'll create a whole new group message rather than continuing on from the previous one.

But apart from that, I've had no issues. Really happy with it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I just don't see the need for the feature.

I never pay to receive SMS and I have more than enough free SMS in my allowance.

I don't like the way it's been implemented. If I could opt-in to iMessage and only use it for contacts who don't have SMS then I would, but it adds an unnecessary layer into a well established system that has proven to be unreliable so far.

Last edited:

Antidoll

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
The only problem that I had with iMessage was with ONE number which imessage decided that user had imessage (he did not have access to the internet) so he never received my messages until I turned off iMessage....

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I just don't see the need for the feature.

I never pay to receive SMS and I have more than enough free SMS in my allowance.

I don't like the way it's been implemented. If I could opt-in to iMessage and only use it for contacts who don't have SMS then I would.
What's there not to like? It is integrated into the Messages app and you have to do nothing to decide iMessage or SMS.

It offers group messaging abilities too, and you can send images for free, as opposed to an MMS (which cost me money on an unlimited text plan).

Also lets me send messages with no cell reception via WiFi.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I will agree that iMessage should be an opt-in feature when you first install the OS or buy a new iPhone, just so that people are aware of what they are getting into.

Actually, the person above is correct. There should be 3 options for iMessage:

• On
  • Off
  • Let me decide who gets iMessages

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I will agree that iMessage should be an opt-in feature when you first install the OS or buy a new iPhone, just so that people are aware of what they are getting into.

Also, you should be able to turn OFF iMessage for any contact in your list.
What's wrong with it? Aware of what they are getting into?

Antidoll

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008

lol @ "aware of what they getting into"

iMessage is NOT automatically activated on a phone... you'll have to activate it by going to settings etc...

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You have the option to turn imessages off. There's no point for turning it off for one person. If the person doesn't have an iphone, you can still send a sms.
Personally, I think you should re-title your poll, as there are some of us who don't have issues. Either that or leave out the "until Apple makes it nearly bugfree?"

Also, you should be able to turn OFF iMessage for any contact in your list.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Bugs like if someone iMessages me while I'm on iPad in living room, it goes to iPhone in bedroom on charger, and not to iPad.
This has happened to me occasionally, but only when i'm at my parents house (their internet is sub-par). Not sure if that's the reason or if it's just a coincidence. But that issue isn't enough to make me stop using iMessage, as the messages get delivered to my iPad shortly after (maybe 1-5 minutes).

Other than that, I've never had a problem with iMessage and love it! (as I do not own an iPhone anymore, just an iPad and iPod). It certainly beats using textPlus, which I now only use for 2 friends who don't use iOS devices.

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
It fails on me daily, sends texts to people rather than an iMessage (which is really annoying when iMessging someone on an iPod Touch or an iPad). I still love how fast it sends and receives messages though.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

How about you?
Generally, I try something for myself to see if it works for me, instead of relying on "all the talk" to dictate for me what I should and shouldn't be using.

Maybe you should do the same. Try it and see if it works for you. If not, you can turn it back off.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
No bugs for me. You need to set your messages Caller ID to your Apple ID So they can be received on your iPad as well. The sender also needs to send it to your Apple ID, not your phone number. Also, iMessages can be disabled in the settings. It works as described for me and millions of others.