Are you cheated if you buy the 16GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Nov 13, 2014.

?

Which is the better deal?

1. 16, it's the cheapest model.

7.0%
  2. 64, they gave us double the space.

35.0%
  3. This is a dumb question.

62.2%
  1. nouveau-apple, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Because the price isn't low enough?

I was happy because I previously had the 32GB version and now they've added more for the same price. But then I thought about it and felt like I was going up and up with storage and I could just spend less money as possible and keep a 16.

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Yes, I know it's a public poll and I voted "this is a dumb question" because if you had a 32GB before then you should know which one to get now.

3. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would've but then where does that leave the 16gb version. Is that not a steal?

Did I really need to have all that storage, being that I've got Dropbox?

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

As someone who paid £269 for a 32Gb iPhone 3GS on an 18 month contract, then had to settle for a 16Gb iPhone 5 for various reasons on a 24 month contract. If I was buying an iPhone 6 today, I'd be paying £269 "on contract" for the 64Gb iPhone but over 24 months now so I wouldn't actually be saving over the 32Gb models of previous ranges because the subsidised cost of the phone would be spread over a further 6 months.

I would still get at least the 64Gb model "off contract" of whatever iPhone I get next over a 16Gb model. It's a constant juggling act if you have very eclectic tastes and listen to a lot of live sets or podcasts.

5. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh, ok. well the thing about me is i always delete podcasts right after i listen to them daily.

but basically, we're saying that the 16 gb is worth nothing?

6. heycal macrumors 6502a

How many GB are you currently using on your 32 GB phone?

7. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

All.

But I just found that with the extra gigs, I started keeping large games on the phone that I would never play.

But now that I've had the 32 for so long I'm scared to get a 16. I think 16 will never work for me because I'm not a new iPhone user and I run out of space.

That's the reason I switched to the 32 gig in the first place.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So then get a 64GB. You've made at least one other thread related to this and it makes no sense, I don't get the concern.

The 16GB is still there, same as it was. If you had it before and are fine with it, you can get it again. If you had the 32GB and used a lot of it, you pay the same price as before and you now get 64GB. No one loses, it's a great deal.

9. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'm saying that the extra £80 over the cost of the 16Gb for 4 x the storage is worth every penny but people thinking they're getting 64Gb for the previous price of a 32Gb model need to look closely at the phone contract terms because the price for an iPhone once they went to 16, 32 and 64Gb went up and a lot of phone companies actually over-charge for the phone itself, but try and present the phone-cost subsidy part of their contract as interest free. O2 in the UK for example charge £90 over retail to buy any model of iPhone up front.

10. heycal macrumors 6502a

Then you know which one to get.

11. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well iOS 8 is on it. So that 64 just became a 57 GB iPhone.

And well, I guess you are cheated if you get the 16. Unless it's a business phone but even then iOS 8 is on it. So it's really more like an 8 GB iPhone.

I was reading this article:

"A realization is gradually setting in for Apple investors, customers, and devotees: Apple has basically, quietly, raised the price of the new iPhone. How? By shipping the basic model iPhone 6 and 6 Plus with such limited memory that buying one would be like buying a Porsche with a VW Beetle engine.

As Apple guru John Gruber pointed out last week, Apple is selling the basic $199 iPhone 6 and $299 iPhone 6 Plus with only 16 gigabytes of memory. That amount of base memory first shipped with the iPhone 3GS, a now discontinued phone from the smartphone Triassic age.

In the four years since Apple launched the 3GS, smartphones have become much bigger storage hogs. With the latest Apple mobile operating system (iOS 8), many-megapixel video and still cameras, HD movies, and TV shows, and ever-more-complex apps, 16 gigs is now an annoyingly small amount of storage. Unless you aggressively and fanatically manage what's on your iPhone—moving photos and movies to the cloud (where you have to pay for additional storage), deleting little-used apps, etc.—you're constantly going to run out of room. And that will create endless headaches and frustrations, which is not what you want and expect from a new iPhone."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/business...raises_prices_when_when_most_smartphones.html

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

A 16GB iPhone 6 has around 12GB of usable storage out of the box. The iPhone 5s and 5 were the same.

You are not cheated, it is no different than any of the other iPhone versions in 16GB.

13. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's 600 dollars for something that's not even a 16 gig. terrible waste of money. But if you could get 32 for the price that the 16 is, it would've been a deal.

14. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I couldn't agree more. Add the fact you need 4Gb free to do OS updates without being plugged into your Mac/PC and it's all the more pathetic.

15. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

16gb is a joke.. my music data is larger than that!
    i think Apple line up should be 32,64,128 gb.

16. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

You may "feel" cheated. You may not. It all depends on your perspective.

My personal opinion is that anyone who purchased a 16GB was NOT cheated. Because they knew what they were buying and the price. There was nothing underhanded or sneaky. The specs were known for over a week before ordering started. There might be some uninformed consumers out there. But their ignorance does not translate to Apple cheating them. It just means they failed to do their due diligence before throwing down a pocketful of money.

That's my opinion.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm guessing this is the 2nd of the three obligatory threads for every topic you start.

18. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need material. :eek:

19. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Yes, and if you could get a 512GB phone for the same price, it would have been a deal too.

I don't understand. You knew how much memory you were getting and how much they were asking for it. Apple is cheating no one. Unless you paid for something they didn't give you, then "cheated" is the wrong word here.

I also disagree with the post about Apple quietly raising prices. 2 years ago the same amount of money got me half the memory.

As for iOS 8 taking up space, that's how it's always worked. No different than a Mac or Windows. You always need space for the operating system. That's the way computers have ALWAYS been. And as each successive version of iOS adds new features, it's going to grow in size. Expect iOS 9 to take up even more space. iOS 10 will probably take even more. And get ready for this, iOS 7, 6, 5, 4, etc. also took up space on your device.

20. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess 16 is just that base model that you can get if you were going to use the phone just for calling and the most basic of tasks. None of the iPhones are cheap.

21. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

what does being cheated have to do with anything?

22. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Absolutely not. You know what the specs are when you agree to buy it. You are getting what you paid for so no, you are not being cheated. Is 16GB to low of a starting point in this day and age, yes. But if they didn't sell they wouldn't be making them. Or the up sale to the 64GB model is enough to make it worth their while. One thing Apple does better than anyone else is make money hand over fist. If this wasn't the best model lineup for profit they would have went another route.

23. LeDave952 macrumors newbie

I have a 16GB, do not feel cheated at all whatsoever. Dumb question.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I voted "This is a dumb question."