Are you disappointed Apple didn't refresh the lock & home screen?

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by CooKieMoNs7eR, Jun 4, 2019.

?

Disappointed?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. It was never expected

78 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I'm kinda disappointed, we have the same lock screen for 10+ years and same home screen icons since iOS 7....how about a new font? new lock screen weather widget? same home screen icons for 6 years? why no redesign?

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I am not disappointed at all. I spend virtually no time on the home screen at all. An iPhone is most useful when using Apps, which replace any functionality the home screen could provide.

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I just don't know what would be better than the current design. If Android's all but abandoning of widgets has taught us anything, it's that consumers prefer and are comfortable with an app grid.

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68030

MozMan68

I think the only thing I've ever wanted from a lock screen is the "always on" feature I had from my Nokia when I went crazy and tried Windows Phone for a year.

Being able to see the time and any notifications, especially at night when turned sideways in "clock" mode was so convenient. Didn't use any battery either. They have finally incorporated the screen technology, so why not?

5. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Naw, I'm fine. I barely look at the lock screen anyway.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Personally I'd like fewer icons which use a completely black or white background but that's just my preference.

I don't really wish for a radical overhaul of either the home or lock screen - I saw someone had the idea of adding Watch complications to the lock screen which is a neat idea, but I think the overall grid concept still works well for the home screen and doesn't need change for change's sake.

7. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

I'm not saying it should be like this, but just something different, wouldn't mind a weather widget or maybe customize the camera and flashlight icons to an app I want?

Attached Files:

8. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

Yes. I know features matters more, but without a visual change my brain cannot acknowledge it. Second, I’m an adult, and I feel like I’m being catered by ToysRus with those large child-like icons. They don’t reflect ME, and that’s the issue. I don’t need a theme store, I just need them to be scaled down and freely move them around, so they’re not in my face. It’s as if your child has been taking out all its toys and tossed them on the floor when you get home from work, and to be able to put them back on the shelves would give me so much peace and enjoy my home(screen).

9. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

I’m a little disappointed. They could have at least given us the choice of five icons across or at least in the dock.
    The overall "look" doesn’t bother me that much as how much time do you spend looking at your home screen as opposed to actually using apps.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I'm not so much disappointed as surprised. iOS 13 should have been a major UI overhaul based on iOS UI patterns of a minor UI refresh every 4th year and major every 7th.

11. KRG macrumors regular

KRG

I'm not disappointed. I think iOS looks great overall. By iOS 6 I hated the design and wanted something new, but I haven't felt the same in recent years. It's clean and minimalist. I really only wanted a dark mode and some refinement within the apps and we got that. I would prefer some modernized home screen icons, but I don't care that much.

The carplay overhaul, however, is much appreciated. I never liked the carplay UI but the update looks promising.

12. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I just wanted the ability to change default apps, that's all.

13. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It was never expected.

The rumors talked about an overhaul geared towards iPad.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I think that’s the whole point though. If the home screen was more interactive with the ability to add functional and useful widgets, you could see info and interact with the homescreen more, rather than opening an App for every little thing

15. HKG3 macrumors newbie

It's a complete disaster.

I waited whole show end for just in case they forgot to show main menu changes.

same ****in home screen 7 years. god. im done with apple.

16. hailst0rm macrumors member

I really wish they would adopt the same design as android and windows phone. Have a separate app list or drawer with all apps in alphabetical order.

17. CooKieMoNs7eR thread starter macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

All I'm saying is for 12 years we've had these icons only, don't you guys think it's about time for a refresh?

Attached Files:

18. Feenician macrumors 601

Feenician

Exactly. Never understood why people are spending so much time staring at their home screen. Exactly as you say, it's for launching apps, which it does well.

19. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

20. Craiguyver macrumors member

Craiguyver

Wait till September... the brand new iPhone XI and XI Max may offer five icons across or in the dock.

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Yes, I would really like something akin to watch complications available on HomeScreens…

It would be great to be able to pinpoint some glanceable information you’d like to keep track of and not have to go to notification centers or into apps etc. etc.

For that matter I’d like to be able to put the outdoor air temperature on the top bar

22. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

It would be nice to have more than 4 App icons in a row on the home screens, even if they squeezed 5 App icons in a row would be nice. As for the lock screen, Notifications are still a bloated mess since iOS 10; I'm over those BIG rectangular bubbles on the lock screen. I miss the the way notifications looked in iOS 9, they were neat and more streamlined, IMO.

23. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I wasn't expecting a refresh, so I can't say I am disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a refresh within the next couple iOS releases.

24. neil74 macrumors regular

neil74

Icons wrapping from the top rather than the bottom is also dumb. I do not want much tbh just some flexibility so I can make my home screen look less like EVERY other persons.

It is so dated it is almost embarrassing now. Watching them hype dark mode when looking at every single thing in iOS was nauseating. Take dark mode away and the changes are very underwhelming.

25. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I don't believe I would feel any differently. I have to keep a Samsung phone for work, so I can be familiar with it. I don't find myself using widgets there either, as a phone screen is just not large enough to have enough useful data on it. Going to apps takes no times at all. The iPad is a little different, as the text and graphics can be large enough to see quick data at a glance, but it's really just an app launcher for the widgets I would use anyway. To each his own I guess.