Are You Entitled ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

There is a new study out that shows that more younger people are now feeling entitled. I thought that it was self evident but do you agree with the study ?

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Everyone feels entitled always. It's such a stupid word to use alone without context.

How about explaining entitled to what? Entitled to a healthy unpolluted planet? Entitled to living in a progressive society that takes core of fellow men and women? Entitled to being able to own guns without restriction? Entitled to tax cuts?

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually none of that...

Entitled refers to the belief that you are superior to others and are more deserving of certain things.

This form of narcissism has some significant consequences such as disappointment and a tendency to lash out.

Psychology Today:

Examples of Entitlement Tendencies

1. You expect the same rules that apply to others shouldn’t apply to you. For example, other people might need to start at the bottom and work their way up but you shouldn’t have to.

2. You feel massively put upon when other people ask you for small favors but expect that when you ask people for favors it’s no big effort.

3. You expect other people to be more interested in you and what’s on your agenda than you're interested in them and what’s on their agenda. You see your own interests as more interesting than other people’s, and see your goals/dreams as more valid or important than other people’s.

4. You disregard rules that are intended for everyone’s comfort. For example, you ignore signs to please not put your feet on the chairs at the movies.

5. You freeload. For example, you use bittorrent programs to download movies rather than paying for them. Or, you listen to public radio all the time but never donate during donation drives.

6. You inconvenience others without thinking. For example, you cancel appointments or reservations repeatedly. Or, you make plans with friends and then bail on those plans without considering that your friend may have organized other plans around fitting you in. Or, you run into a store 1 minute before closing without thinking about the fact you’ll be delaying the shop assistant from getting home on time. You think “it’s only 5 minutes” without considering that the assistant may have somewhere they need to be.

7. You think it’s ok to upset or offend other people. You see people who like to keep the peace as weak.

8. You cheat in environments that are based on reciprocity. For example, you ask loads of questions in your favorite internet forum, but you don’t spend the same amount of time answering other’s questions.

9. When working in groups, you think you should be the leader or get the most credit.​

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It's definitely self evident. All you need to do is go to the mall during the holidays and you'll see exactly what the article is referring to.

6. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

A great list. I'm not sure of the reason that it's more prevalent in millennials.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I blame social media.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yea, I've seen pretty much every regular contributor to PRSI exhibit at least one of those tendencies.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I'm entitled to a government that produces the only money of the nation.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It's not. It's just the current popular word to use by older people to complain about younger people - which has been happening since the dawn of humanity. Every decade or so the word changes, but the sentiment is the same: It's bad that younger people today aren't like what young people were like when I was young.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This thread is embarrassing to read through. But I guess I knew what to expect when I clicked on it. :rolleyes:

Yep. Just more mindless millennial-bashing. Even Socrates in the 300s BC griped about the young people of his day, how they were disobedient and rebellious.

Every generation does it, and every generation thinks they are in a unique position.

The article is not wrong to point out that that kind of narcissism is harmful and only serves to create misery and dissatisfaction in a person's life, but to act as if this is unique to this current generation is pure folly. I would also guess that young people who do not have the wisdom of life experience are more likely to feel unsatisfied or anxious about the future. This applies to young people of any generation, however.

13. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

Yes for the most part. I am looking at this from being a High School mentor.
    One observation, and I may be off base on this, for High School students, I have seen a greater sense of entitlement among the "poorer" students in comparison to the more "well off" student in regards to everyday items and a bigger propensity for narcissistic behavior if that entitlement is not met. There is also a bigger sense of "the rules don't apply to me" and "you can't do anything about it" in regards to authority figures. Among the wealthier I see a sense of "I can always get this" and "I am above the rules aka perceived parental power/Money can buy anything" and far less narcissistic behavior.

Note: I stopped mentoring at the High School when I moved out of the area in 2016.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Psychology Today? Please. Do they still provide advertising for clairvoyants?

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Millennial bashing is really becoming old. You old people better be nice to us or we'll put you in the worst nursing homes we could find. Can anyone say "bed sores"? :p

16. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

For the record, I don't believe it's just younger people (even though that's what the study seems to focus on). I think overall, people seem to have a higher sense of importance and focus on self than people did a few decades ago.

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

LOL. true, very true....

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

The cheaper ones all have long wait times.
    I'm good :D

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I don't know either, and I have sibs who are parents of some millennials. There seemed intense interest in making sure the kids had every advantage they could afford to provide financially, mixed in with expectations they would excel in school (and extracurricular activities of types appealing to universities) and so qualify for entry into very good schools. Not a whole lot of expectation that they'd help around the house with chores. A lot of acceding to requests to take them someplace or let them have the car (or borrow a better car for longer trips or special occasions). Zero requirement of them to take public transportation long distances to university, they were flown or driven or money given to help pay for gas if roomies or friends were driving them. I don't know if they had allowances but they used to just ask for money when it occurred to them they wanted to buy something. I think they got made to savings-bank their holiday gift money though.

The weird thing is I don't know how my sibs came to conclusion this was the way to go with these kids. It's not how they were brought up, for sure. The kids are nice enough but a bit on the spoiled side, still more or less expecting parents will help them out of financial jams or shortfalls on rent, lend them a car if theirs craps out... so strange, as no one did that for these parents, my sibs, when they were that age. We were all on our own after college, it was about ok congratulations, now go get a job and have a nice life. Which I think is how it is supposed to be. But these kids are less mature at 25 than I was at around 19, I believe. It's hard to tell sometimes because they're well spoken and courteous but there's a naiveté or a kind of complaceny lurking in there somewhere that bothers me.

They're me when I was 19 and working at on-campus jobs. I was complacent in a way then, because my life was laid out on what felt like a comforting track for a couple more years of school, and still I had already had two years of feeling like a grownup compared to the incoming freshmen at my school etc.

Yet these kids are in mid-20s and seem to have that same sort of "well this is just how it goes along for now" feeling. I sure didn't feel like that when I was even only 22. I was out there scrabbling for the ladders and trying to prove I had what it took to get a job or get a promotion etc. But, these kids are out in the world after college and working at "regular" jobs, which today tend to be less likely to have ladders up built into them at all. So I dunno how they'll do as time goes on. They need to be motivated to look for ladders or build them, but they seem to be treading water like "well this seems ok, could be better, could be worse, pays the bills."

I suppose things may change up for by time they are in their 30s; it's not like they lack all ambition; one has embarked on a master's degree program while working. But i feel some concern for any kids like some who are peers of the son of a friend of mine downstate, they are early 30s now and still live home, have menial jobs and community college educations, no clue about what housing costs or car maintenance involves. They like to get together and go into NYC for ComicCon and stuff like that. When their parents kick the bucket, what will happen to them?!

20. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

Good post. I also believe that the kids are nice enough but do display the traits you listed.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh good another thread that will invariably devolve into generation bashing.

Here's my short version of it. The Baby Boomers came into a nation with a historic trend of wealth and prosperity and spent the 60's getting high and going to college for cheap, spent the 70's fiddling with drugs, and then spent the 80's trying to burn down every social structure they could find.

And, if you want to talk about Entitled. Oh lord, it's the Boomers.

A few weeks ago, I was flying from one mid-American city to another, bouncing around and getting a beer from an airport bar along with salesmen, military spouses, and the few errant college student coming back from summer break.

The bartender was harried and overworked, and obviously had some problem with her kid because she kept getting phone calls that should would quickly answer and then dismiss it, because she knew her manager was out-of-sight, but lurking nearby.

I have time to burn, an expense account to misappropriate, and WiFi, so I can wait. I'm there for at least two hours, and I'm going to drink and write and know things; because that's what I do.

From my left, one of the other patrons, says "miss, excuse me miss, I haven't ordered." The bartender shoots over to her table. The woman, easily my mom's age, proceeds to ask her a thousand questions about the menu—are the fried onions gluten-free? Can I get a salad without dressing? How many come with that? Is it house made? Etc.

Now, I get that people with celiac and other allergies need to be careful, but we're also in an airport bar at god's end. The food comes prepackaged and gets thrown into a deep fryer. Fried onions are usually fried in batter. Which has gluten.

Anyway. The bartender says she'll check, she's not sure.

The women throws a fit. Why don't you know what's in the food? Because it comes pre-packaged? Why I expect things to be fresh-made. You'll need to make my fresh.

Wurt? How should our bartender pull this one off.
    Anyway. Our bartender apologized and explains. Our patron proceeds to get furious and eventually storms off, telling the bartender that she's a "bitch."

Oh, and she's "forgotten to pay."

I cover her bill with cash.

The bartender was a 28-year-old woman, working at the bar on her weekends to pay for school and raise her 6-year-old daughter. The patron, an apparent "important person" from some company that immediately escaped my memory but I think it was Whogivesashitmiddlemanager.com.

Oh, and a boomer.

As a classic Gen-X, latch-key kid, I paid the bill, talked to the Millennial for a bit about how she was enduring and told her not to worry about the Boomers. They've been awful since I was a kid.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Think generational experiences might be down to YMMV (as usual?).

I'm a bit older than the boomers but still tend to get annoyed at the proposition that those who hit the sixties then in or coming out of college were all stoners. That bunch was entering as freshmen as I was graduating. We were still locked up at school like nuns after 8pm unless on weekends when big whoop it was 11pm or 1am for seniors. We didn't even get to experiment with beer. As a result I never went down the stoner road later on, I was happy once I found my niche with Ballantine Ale, which in the end along with its cousins and near cousins nearly killed me. I can laugh about it now in long term recovery but am grateful I didn't experiment past ethanol, for sure. I remember some chick who was dating a brother inviting me to drop some acid. I said I dunno about that, seems pretty risky. She said it's great, you completely lose your mind for like hours. I'm thinking hmm, so if I need to get it back in time to go pick up my paycheck tomorrow,,,, no thanks. I was non judgmental about it, just your basic corporate coward.

It's pretty inexcusable to be rude to waitstaff in end of the earth places like airport bars in most cases. What you described was definitely beyond the pale... you're a mensch to have leaned in for the millennial.

23. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

At this rate of bashing, boomer nursing homes are going to need inflatable millennial mannequins in the rec room for residents to take turns hitting with their canes.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Anyone who is entitled will, almost by definition, answer no. Nevertheless, I have been in the past - but not currently...

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I have to chime in here because I personally believe it to be true.

2 Timothy 3

3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.