Are you excited about the Hp TouchPad and Galaxy Tab 8.9 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cpt.Oliver, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

Im the proud owner of an Ipad 2. I was watching videos on these two new tablets to be release soon. I got very excited after whatching those videos. Its like fresh air . I think I will get the Galaxy Tab 8.9. Then I will have the best of both world ; Apple/Android and portability/bigger screen. What do you think of these upcoming tablets ?

2. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I think they're all crap and could care less about them.

3. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Not at all. I'm waiting for the Windows 8 tablets next spring.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

I am completely uninterested and wouldn't buy one even if someone shilled them on this forum.

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Touchpad intrigues me, anything with android does not.

7. gatearray macrumors 65816

8.9" vs. 9.7"

Does 4/5 of an inch really equal portability?

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

no why would they? all the competitors are junk. Until microsoft puts a touch based version of windows on a tablet I wont even care. Android is the biggest competitor and they have like what 100 tablet based apps? how the hell is Web OS or Playbook going to make a dent?

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Off Topic.

No, and I don't care to read about them on an iPad forum. You're on the wrong piece of the Internets.

10. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

From what I've seen Android honeycomb is buggy and has very little apps. Its pretty much a dead OS without an ecosystem.

I always liked webOS, so looking forward to Touchpad.

Btw does 1.2" make a big difference in portability?

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I also do care about them like you have said. :)

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Actually, I think a lot of people are actually very interesting in what Msoft are going to come up with after the one Windows 8 demo they released a while ago.

I've no doubt it will need a few updates after it launches (as most things do, even Apple) as real people use it and point out the bits that need working on.

I get the feeling there's going to be a big push from Microsoft given time.

13. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

WebOS impresses the heck out of me. I'm not completely sold on the HP Touchpad hardware yet... I've come really close to buying one a couple times, but I've been scared away by a few pre-production model videos showing sluggish behavior when scrolling, etc. I'm waiting for more reviews of the production models before deciding. (I live out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, I can't easily play with one or return it, so I'm waiting a bit...)

Android, I think, needs another rev before it's going to catch up with iOS or HP webOS on a tablet. I haven't seen one yet that I'm interested in buying.

Apps are starting to ramp up on both platforms. In a year you should be able to get most of the major apps and larger niche apps on both of them.

Apple really has a lock right now on price, form factor, and apps. Even the new tablets feel bulky and dated compared to my iPad 2.

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I have zero interest in the android tablets. However the touchpad is interesting, but still has the lack of apps. If I bought it right now I would be buying it just to support competition, not because I thought it was the best tablet.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The general consensus, in my mind at least, is that the iPad 2 is still way out in front of the tablet competition at the moment.

Unless there's a specific reason why you don't want an iPad 2, there's no point trying to get excited about the alternatives just yet.

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Is the Samsung 8.9 any different than the 10.1, other than a slightly smaller form factor? If not, then it will be just as much of a failure as the 10.1.

Unless the HP has a smooth UI, functions without lag and has plenty of quality apps at start up, it will fail as well. Time will tell on this one.

I fully expect a number of Android tablet makers to quit production next year, leaving a lot of buyers hanging with a bunch of paper weights. RIM being one of them.

17. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Not really. If there were no iPad, perhaps the TouchPad would have some potential for excitement. Ironically, If there were no iPad, none of those half-baked wannabe competitors would have been developed.

To be fair, it seem it has the first two, but not much Apps (I think I read a 300 number somewhere).
    And Apps are not the whole story, content is paramount too.
    Both the Galaxy and the TouchPad seem to be decent products in terms of concept and hardware, but given how far ahead the iPad already is in terms of delivering a broad range of Apps and content and a seamless integration into Apple's ecosystem (think iTunes, Apple TV, iCloud coming soon), launching those gadgets at the same price tag as the iPad is simply suicidal.

18. Zcott macrumors 68020

You're suggesting that you care a little bit because it's possible you 'could care less'. Don't you mean you 'couldn't care less' about them given you think they're all crap?

19. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Strangely the Windows tablet may have some chance in the enterprise world to gain a toe hold.

In the consumer area, it will be a long, up hill battle for HP and undifferentiated android products. The iPad is becoming nearly as iconic as the iPod in a short period of time. For example, a coworker bought his daughter an Ipad for graduation. He is as anti Apple as Piggie. Try as he might to convince her to look at Zoom, Blackberry, Samsung she was dead set on iPad. Now he cant "pry it out her hands" and her frriends are just as fascinated by it.

Apple again created a market where none existed.

20. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

No he doesn't mean that. He obviously cares about them enough to offer his reflections that they are crap. He could care less by ignoring them completely but he isn't doing so, though he hints that perhaps he should given how bad they are. If he really meant to say he couldn't care less, then he would already be ignoring those other options and not be in a position to offer a verdict of crap. All he could then say was, "don't know, don't care to know". So he spoke aptly.

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The touch pad interests me the most. Could care less about android tablets.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

"Could care less" is an Americanism that has confused other English-speakers for some time. Best explanation is here:

23. taipan61 macrumors 6502

competition is good for the end user as it makes the manufactures generally move in a positive direction, Apple has usually been decent in listening to what their buyers want (balanced of course by what Steve wants) and puts out a good product.
    without competition to drive things everything would stagnate and innovation would slow, now if it wasn't for copyright laws and all the frivolous lawsuits over things that are meaningless we would have the perfect tablet already.

but to get back on track, interested yes, (always curious) excited? not in the least bit

24. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I could care less about your comment.

;)