Are you generally happy with your Mac Mini 2018?

EdwardC

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
Have the base 2018 Mini i3 128GB 8gb RAM, been a great box for basic tasks but definitely will look at picking up a i5 with 16 gigs of RAM in the near future. The i3 Mini will replace my late 2013 iMac for music streaming purposes. I do occasionally have HDMI syncing issues and the bluetooth mouse issue as well, otherwise stellar.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
For me, it was touch-and-go for a while. My mini is the i7 with 32 gb of RAM. I have the Razer Core X eGPU with a Radeon 5700 in it. All of my games had horrible frame rates. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and was ready to throw in the towel. The mini was connected to my LG Ultra 4k monitor with high-speed HDMI. I tried connecting just the Core X, then both ... nothing helped. My breakthrough came while chatting with an Apple tech. He recommended getting the Moshi TB3-to-Display Port cable. That solved the problem. The graphics are now running steady at 60 hz with no more hiccups.

I have an OWC 12 tb external drive as well, and that's the noisiest component. If that's off, the system is nearly silent. Even the Razer is barely audible. So I'm happy. I'm still amazed that this little mini runs rings around my old Mac Pro.

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Original poster here. It’s great hearing mostly positive feedback.

I’m curious if any here had a difficult decision (as I’m having) between a Mac mini and an iMac?

With the knowledge that the Mac mini has a weak GPU, the added cost of an eGPU, and possibly a display(if you didn’t already have one), why did you not opt for a 5K iMac?
I think that as everything is what you can afford or do not consider an exaggeration.
We must consider that the iMac has an integrated screen, with the good and perhaps bad that this means, although it is more good than bad.
Summing up if you can buy an iMac with dedicated GPU, it is more, it does not necessarily have to be the last model, this interesting link happened to you.
It is a personal opinion but any Mac that you can acquire with a Radeon card is an added value and very precious just that, buying an iMac with an Intel graphics card is something silly and more silly to buy it with an HDD or Fusion Drive.
Mac devices with Nvidia cards were good at the time but they are very old.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018
Somewhat satisfied. It's a perfect machine for music production which was my reason for buying it (then an accident made me unable to create music, oh well). If I had known just how bad the integrated graphics are I may have reconsidered. I hate the design of the iMacs but I haven't found a monitor for the Mini that I really want yet.

My trackpad and keyboard also disconnects randomly about once a day. Putting the Mini to sleep reconnects them. I have to get the Mini serviced to fix this but the repair dudes said that if it's not a hardware fault I'll have to pay them a lot.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
....My trackpad and keyboard also disconnects randomly about once a day. Putting the Mini to sleep reconnects them. I have to get the Mini serviced to fix this but the repair dudes said that if it's not a hardware fault I'll have to pay them a lot.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's a 20 page thread on Bluetooth disconnects.

GetRalBro

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020

GetRalBro
It is true, objectively it is a problem but subjectively:
  • At least me with a bluetooth 5.0 keyboard and mouse disconnects "very little" if I had to quantify it once every 2 or 3 hours (2 seconds of disconnection).
  • The solution that some people propose to continue using bluetooth technology is to buy the typical mouse or keyboard with usb receiver, where this problem from disconnection does not occur.
  • The solution I use is to use traditional mouse and keyboard with cable connected to a USC hub.
My point is that it is a problem but the severity of this depends on each person and case.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Arnhem
Not as much as I anticipated. I threw in quite a sum of money for the i7 model with 32GBs of ram. Got an OWC 4M2 for it too and now I find myself using my Macbook Pro more.. which is simply more trustworthy. (doesn't have the screen blackouts and bluetooth issues, and has a semi nice graphics-card too)

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Not as much as I anticipated. I threw in quite a sum of money for the i7 model with 32GBs of ram. Got an OWC 4M2 for it too and now I find myself using my Macbook Pro more.. which is simply more trustworthy. (doesn't have the screen blackouts and bluetooth issues, and has a semi nice graphics-card too)
In Argentina the prices are different but I think that having the money to buy a Mac Mini i7 with 32GB Ram I personally would have gone for an iMac of 2015 or 2017 (maybe used) but with a GPU Radeon and maybe with 16GB Ram and an i5 but with an SSD.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
...My point is that it is a problem but the severity of this depends on each person and case.
I agree. I use a Logitech wireless mouse (no disconnects) and an original Apple Bluetooth keyboard that occasionally disconnects. When i see the keyboard disconnect popup, I often just move the keyboard so it has a better line of sight and it reconnects pretty quickly.

FWIW I was trying to warn the previous poster that no one has posted that there was a “hardware fix” that cured the 2018 Mini bluetooth disconnect issue.

GetRealBro

Reactions: Reflej0

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
The only complaint I really have is the snow/loss of signal when waking up or no signal an a start/restart with the monitor. I have the I7, 32Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD and am using an older Acer monitor with HDMI to DVI cable. I'm still running Mojave 10.14.6 for now. I don't know if going to Catalina will be any better as far as the monitor signal problems.

I had problems with my original Magic keyboard and Logitech mouse (USB receiver) disconnecting and/or acting goofy when I had my Mini on top of the desk and mouse and keyboard on a slide out keyboard shelf. I guess the signals weren't getting through the desktop. I have since put the Mini on the open shelf right below the keyboard shelf an no more problems.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Arnhem
In Argentina the prices are different but I think that having the money to buy a Mac Mini i7 with 32GB Ram I personally would have gone for an iMac of 2015 or 2017 (maybe used) but with a GPU Radeon and maybe with 16GB Ram and an i5 but with an SSD.
That is true. I personally like a more modular setup, (most of us on here do) but if you're looking at the specs only, an iMac is definitely cheaper in purchase.

HeavyMantra

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2018

GetRalBro
That's crazy if it's non-repairable. For a 3000USD machine or whatever it was that I paid for it, I expect things like these to be dealt with.

The place I bought it mentioned switching the network card, loosely translated from my language. I at least expect them to try it. Last time I bought an Apple computer was almost tnine years ago. I somehow expect much much less from their customer care now but we'll see what happens

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
That's crazy if it's non-repairable. For a 3000USD machine or whatever it was that I paid for it, I expect things like these to be dealt with.

The place I bought it mentioned switching the network card, loosely translated from my language. I at least expect them to try it. Last time I bought an Apple computer was almost tnine years ago. I somehow expect much much less from their customer care now but we'll see what happens
don't expect much , I have tried to figure this issue out for a bit now. support just pretends I'm the only one having the issue....when google says a much different story.

my solution was to force the wireless to 5ghz and off 2.4. this fixed all my bluetooth issues.

hope it works for you.