Are you getting AppleCare+ with your new iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xAnthony, Sep 16, 2012.

?

Are you purchasing AppleCare+

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I've always been against AppleCare+, and I've never really seen a point to it... You may save an extra $50 but is it really worth the potential savings? I guess people could debate that questions forever... However, this time around I'm considering buying it. I had issues with my iPhone 4's home button and once it was out of warranty, it drove me completely nuts. (It still does) I just can't have something like this happen again...

Who else is getting (Or has already purchased) AppleCare+?

2. HJ24 macrumors regular

It's like any insurance, you don't need it UNTIL you need it. Would you really risk paying $200+ for a broken screen? Or protect yourself now and get a $99 + $50 if ANYTHING goes wrong. They even replace accidental for the $50 replacement, so you could literally just drop your phone on purpose in 2 years and get a free new replacement...

3. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Yes, i've bought applecare with my iphone.

I've just dropped £700 on a new iPhone, no not paying for extended warranty on the thing seems a terrible.

I've always had good experiences with the plan too, just take your iStuff in to an Apple Store and they fix it quickly under warranty, sorted!

4. d0minick macrumors 6502

I have only purchased apple care for my Macbook Pro (2011, 13)

NEVER for the phone. I have broken backs, screens, and replaced batteries. The one time i dropped the phone in my toilet, i put it in rice for 2 days and it still works (good ol 3GS).

My brother in law dropped his in a pool, he left it on when he put it in the rice, so it fried. He simply took it to the apple store and for 200$ he walked out with a new/refurbished(which is new if you've ever purchased a apple refurbished- i have).

Apple care really isn't worth it. Not on >$400 phones. There phones.

Screen breaks = 80$ with labor at a certain store. Dont wanna say it cuz i think ill get called out for marketing? Heres a clue UB***KI**X

New battery = 30$ on another DYI website

new back screen = 80$ at that DYI website too.

5. critten macrumors member

well i dont know either so i think im going 1 squaretrade for 85+tax. Since i got 3 , first one that breaks is the one i got squaretrade for heh.

6. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Yup.

1. It's less of a sticker shock if I actually do accidentally mess up my phone (even though it's only $50 savings)
    2. It increases the resale value of the phone (so you can get most of the $99 back if you sell while it's still in warranty)

7. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I'm debating atm. I bought it for my iMac didn't get it for my iPad. I had one iPhone replaced under warranty. So well see what happens with the 5.

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

No AC for this Apple purchase. However, I will make good use of the $35.00 Squaretrade coupon, which I received prior to preordering my ip5.

9. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Whats the difference between SquareTrade and Apple Care +?

10. sammjordan macrumors member

Outside of the accidental damage coverage, is there any advantage to applecare compared to the warranty extension you get through your credit card?

11. roberthodgson macrumors regular

Apple care Plus is defiantly worth the investment it doubles the warranty and has accidental damage protection

12. travisiscoolest, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

travisiscoolest macrumors newbie

Visa doubles the warranty (so you get 2 years total) but only for what Apple covers, basically manufacturer defects.

13. maclook macrumors 65816

I dropped an iPhone 4 recently, shattering the front screen. I didn't have Applecare+ (I don't think they had it back then though but I don't remember). I took it to the Apple Store and they offered to give me a brand new iPhone 4 replacement for $150. Has anyone without Applecare+ for their 4S had this experience? If people are getting offered $150 replacements without Applecare+, I don't see the point of it unless you think you're going to break your phone twice.

14. Ran7 macrumors regular

Sorry to say but, respectfully, your post is proof that math challenged buy extended warranties and/or insurance on items that are not catastrophic losses (say your yearly income or more).

I have had four lines of phones for about 15 years and both applecare or provider insurance plans/scams would have cost 3x the benefit given the number I lost or have been damaged comparing actual cost of replacing them (ebay reputable seller vs ins. plan costs + present value + deductible).

The "literally drop your phone on purpose" clues other potential buyers into the fact that paying for these plans not only involves your actual odds, plus a tipping of the odds in the providers favor, as well as company overhead, plus profit -- but as a buyer of apple care you actually subsidize the fraud of the people dropping them on purpose.

"protecting your investment" on consumer electronics is an oxymoron and the worst imaginable insurance as they drop in value, and actual replacement cost, quite quickly.

15. bearsbears macrumors member

Nope. The 5 will be my third iPhone and I've never thought to get AppleCare (and I've never needed it). I also didn't get AppleCare for my last MacBook (the first unibody one that came out in 2008) and nothing ever happend to it in 4 years. Knock on wood!

I heard somewhere that you get an extra year of warranty if you buy with Amex? Do I need to do anything to get that or is it automatic? Preordered with my Amex blue cash preferred.

16. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The replacement is $150 because you have an iPhone 4. The replacement for the iPhone 4S was $200. The newest model is always $200 to get replaced. So you would save $50 with AppleCare+ if something were to happen.

17. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I bought it for my eleven, now twelve year old daughters phone but never for mine or my wife's.

We buy the new iPhone every year so not worried about warranty repair and accidental damage would be $99.00 for Apple Care and $50 deductible so as stated above, I could get it exchange at an Apple store for $200 or repaired for less through a third party.

However, I buy Apple care on all my iMacs and Macbooks

18. maclook macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

It's a tough call. I don't want to do aftermarket screen replacements because I read that the quality is on par with Apple's screens.

19. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You might find the two following threads that I've started beneficial as well:

AppleCare+ vs. VZW Warranty vs. Geek Squad. vs. SquareTrade

Extended AppleCare for "The New iPhone"?

21. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

If you are clumsy enough to need AppleCare for shattered screens then perhaps you should simply buy a heavy duty case for much cheaper ;)

I used to work at Circuit City back in the day and we were told to push HARD for the extended warranty on anything we sold to the customer. Customers that bought them were simply shark food for corporate profits :p

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

23. xAnthony thread starter macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I have about 12 cases sitting in my drawer now doing absolutely nothing. Average cost would be $20-30 a pop... I get bored with cases very easily, and I hate covering up the phone. I now even go caseless with my iPhone 4... So those cases are all useless to me. This time around I was considering not buying any cases, saving that $250+ invested into cases and just spend $99 on AppleCare+. I'll save money in the long haul.

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I bought it for the 4S but am skipping it for the 5. I did use it once on the 4S. Left it on the roof of my car and it went for a "ride". Other than that fiasco it survived many many drops without a scratch. I'll try my luck and risk the other $50 if I need a replacement.