Are you getting optional BlueRay drive for new MBP (or other laptop)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SammyDFG, Aug 25, 2008.

1. SammyDFG macrumors member

Are you guys getting the blueray option for your next laptop?

I'm guessing i will be a $200-300 option. I don't want to skimp out on anything I might need in the future, but I wonder how much I would actually use a blueray drive on a laptop. I figure its only for movies but 1080p movies can be downloaded on the internet.

What other uses are there for it?
    Will software/games eventually use blueray discs?
    Will the 17" display really show the full potential of hi-def 1080p anyways?

(Still checking this forum daily, for...a....MBP update......)

;)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple won't put Blu-ray into the next MacBook Pros.

Don't check daily. Check Tuesdays.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I tend to agree with this.

I would want a DVD writer, but not Blu-Ray so I would skip this option.

4. johngardiner macrumors regular

The 17 inch high res displays are capable of 1080P as they have a resolution of 1900x1200.

Other than movies there isn't too much use for a blu-ray drive yet. I'm guessing the version they would put in the MBP is read only so you wouldn't be able to back up your files to blu-ray if that's the case. In a laptop I'm not sure I see the point of a blu-ray drive but I can imagine that a lot of people will end up getting it, it just won't be me yet!

5. beefman macrumors newbie

Why would you think that? I have an LG R200 that I put a BD drive into that gets taken along with the MBP. The ability to have 50gb on one piece of WORM media is a major plus for backing up photos and such (Nikon D3X + using NEF files + several full days of shooting = several full 16GB CF cards and a desire to back them up to something not as ephemeral as an HDD!) [Side note: Sadly, Apple makes nothing that matches the size/performance ratio of that machine and it kills me. Macbook Air does *not* cut it. I want a true 12" Powerbook G4 replacement. 12.1", 2.4Ghz T7700, 200gb 7200 RPM drive, and Radeon 2400HD, if LG can do it surely Apple can as well!]

I don't think there's a chance in hades Apple would go read only when it puts BD in the MBP. Read/Write laptop drives are readily available (and are old news on the Wintel side of things), the cost differential isn't that large, and going read only sets aside most of the benefit of BD to creative professionals that by and large prefer OS X.

Incidentally, one doesn't need 1920x1080/1200 to derive benefit from BD movies. They look quite spectacular and the improvement over DVD is major even on a 1280x800 small screen.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'd also like to point out you might find it even more enlightening to check apple's website for MBP updates.

7. johngardiner macrumors regular

Please re-read my post as I said it's not useful for me unless you are able to record as well.. and not just read data. My post was also a personal opinion and I said some people would want a blu-ray drive in their laptop. Read carefully next time!

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mmmm Blu-ray, my next upgrade. *AKA I don't care if Apple releases one, I buy it myself*

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree.

Again I agree. There are features I would like to see in a future MBP - (More RAM anyone? Longer battery life? Faster ghz? Bigger HDD?), but blueray is not one of them, nor is its presence/absence something that would influence a future purchase. Cheers.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would still use an external HD for backups. Quicker and easier to do.

For example, say I want to clone my MBP15 500GB HD. Just connect my external 500GB pocket drive. Start the clone when I go to bed. In the morning I am done. Simple.

This non-attended solution is much easier and less time consuming to use than Blu-Ray disks.

Plus, external HD backups are much cheaper than Blu-Ray.

11. SailorTom macrumors regular

Blu-ray problem solved

put the blu-ray drive in the monitor.

keep the superdrive in the MBP, or whatever other computer.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So people who want ACDs will have to spend like twice as much as they are. That would surely cannibalized sales.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Confused. :confused:

What do you mean?

14. ibglowin macrumors regular

I would settle for BD/HD-DVD playback from the DVD Player.app :mad:

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

With Adobe touting Blu-Ray burning compatibility for Encore its silly stupid not to atleast have a BTO option available.

But thats ok. Somewhere down in Cupertino they realize that the target audience for the MBP are poor college students who can't afford BD media and Grandmotherly types who fire on their machine every so often to shoot off a few of those newfangled e-mails to undeliverable addresses. :D

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Slot-load low-profile laptop form factor Blu-ray recorders were $1000 as of about two months ago. I tend to think Apple is not going to offer a BTO option that is between one-third and one-half the price of the machine (MacBook Pro) it is going into...

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

Didn't realize they were still so expensive.

18. lhotka macrumors regular

Moot point - no laptop drives until the battery life gets better (the drives get thinner)

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The drive fits the MBP.

20. Knolly macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the main problem at the moment is the drives effect on battery life... I believe the newest Dell laptop that you can get a Blu-Ray drive in cannot play a full 2 hour movie on one battery charge.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Which is why I would rip the disc first then just place the image.

22. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Don't need an internal drive to do that. Just get one of the cheap(er) 5.25" units and put it in an external enclosure and connect it via USB or FW. :)

23. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Bluray is good for long term storage when you run out of hard drive space. Disk media also has a longer shelf life (20-25 years) than hard drives (4-5 years). If I need Bluray I'll just buy an external drive to do this, don't really need it built into the system.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wouldn't be so sure about this.

When CDs came out, they projected 100 year shelf life, then 30 years, then 10 years, and now who knows. There are many variables.

My point is that we do not know how long Blu-Ray will last.

That's a good alternative for sure.

25. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

No. I would have no use for it.

Joshua.