Are you getting the $500 1TB drive upgrade for those purchasing the 15'' Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 22, 2013.

?

Are you getting the 1TB drive upgrade?

1. Yes.

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No.

56 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

For those that have the option, are you going to get the 1TB drive upgrade? Is it worth it?

2. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

No, Ill stick with the 512. I don't think that price is worth the upgrade. If it was like 100 bucks then maybe.

3. Tekfox macrumors newbie

I ordered mine with the 1TB.

I do a lot of music production and use my MBP as my primary machine so the additional (fast) storage is worth the money to me.

4. MN7119 macrumors regular

I ordered my 13" with 1TB and 16 MB RAM. I currently have a 2006 white MacBook so I thought it wasnworth to upgrade for the top of the line. I also like to keep my videos, music, photos all in the same place.

5. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68000

Starfyre

6. Durious macrumors 6502

agreed

7. hachiman macrumors regular

Well, if it's part of your business and you get a tax deduction out of it, MAX IT OUT! :p

8. moep macrumors member

I feel the same way, 768GB seems like the sweet spot for me at the moment.

256GB for Bootcamp, 512 GB for OS X.

9. mankymanning macrumors regular

I went for it, going through my business anyway an I do a lot of work in VMs, I don't want to run out of space. Finally I have to think about resale value in a couple of years...

10. sartos macrumors newbie

This is the very same reason I ticked all the boxes to max it out... If there was a 32GB RAM option I would have ticked that too...

I am hoping that at some point in future either Paralells or VMWare will be able to syphon off some of that super fast storage and use it as RAM to 'trick' the VM into thinking it has more.... unless this is already possible?

11. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

Too expensive....I got 512GB and that should be good enough :)

12. auero macrumors 65816

Ordered a 15" 2.6 with the 1TB SSD yesterday but cancelled it after thinking about it. Saved myself just over $600 for going with the stock processor and 512GB SSD. I rather use that money towards another machine in the future. I was also able to free up a lot of space after removing some files I forgot about. I currently have a 480GB drive (2x 240gb) and have 150gb free now with the ability to clear at least another 25-50gb if I move some work files.

13. Tibits macrumors regular

I did the exact opposite. I do a lot of photo (large RAW) work, and I figured you never regret having more space. This will help to future proof the machine (files just keep getting bigger and bigger), and I think ultimately help with resale value. The 1 TB is a big premium, but the business write off softens the blow for me.

I agree 768 would have been perfect.

14. Crossmax macrumors member

Sorry, but that is not a rational argument, as you will not recoup the $500 + interest when selling your computer in a few years' time. The other reasons I can understand...

15. mankymanning macrumors regular

That isn't the rationale I am using, it is just a lot of people simply will not consider purchasing a laptop with only 128 or 256GB by that point IMO. It isn't about it having less value, it is about vastly diminishing the pool of potential buyers.

16. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

If I had the money for it definitely! I do like to have more of 750GB + on my macbook though. I just hope this type of SSD becomes widely used and gets cheaper as more manufacturers make them. Wishful thinking though...

17. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I almost went that route for the same reasons, full time pro here as well. But in my case, I have largely phased out digital out of my work as I have gone almost totally to shooting medium and large format black and white film and hand printing it in a real darkroom, no more digi-crap for me. So this might actually be my last big ticket apple purchase, happy to say...

18. Tibits macrumors regular

Nice! More $ for your photo equipment (which holds value MUCH better) then.

19. mankymanning macrumors regular

Unfortunately this is very unlikely to happen. The difference in speed between memory and storage is huge. The 1TB drives with the MBP are topping out at 950ish MB/s, let's call it 1GB/s for argument's sake.

DDR2 from around 8 years ago had bandwidth of about 13GB/s, these days I am not sure but it must be upwards of 50GB/s in modern DDR3 systems? not sure but not far off, so a long way to go before it can reasonably be used as memory.