Are YOU going to buy an new Powermac?

Are you going to buy a new Powermac when they're announced?

  • Yes

    Votes: 135 42.2%
  • No

    Votes: 61 19.1%
  • I'll wait 3 months until the demand settles down a bit

    Votes: 22 6.9%
  • I'll wait 6 months to see if Apple will sweeten the deal/introduce new stuff

    Votes: 16 5.0%
  • I'll wait 6 months to a year to see if the G5s come out

    Votes: 79 24.7%
  • I'll never get a mac again because of .Mac!!!

    Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Windoze is better!

    Votes: 2 0.6%

  • Total voters
    320

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
Absolutely gonna buy one! Right now i am using a 733 PowerMac, and supposedly the new ones will run at about 4 times the speed of this one. Also, i dont think we will be seeing any G5 earlier than March 2003.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
Nah. I'll stick with what I have. I don't need anything faster right now.

Maybe after I do about 2 or 4 years of college I'll see what chip Apple is calling the CPU by then and I'll get an old G5 for about $1000. :p
 

ericb88

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
60
0
since i personally don't beleive

We're seein G5's till 2004, I'm gonna wait a month or 2 after, and a;so check barefeats to see what kinda performance we;re gettin.
 

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
1,118
0
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Eh, errm, no. I'm waiting on the arrival of G5 iMacs! But if they're not here before the end of the year, I'll buy an iMac anyway. Apple rocks! :D IBM rules! :D Motorola stinks! :mad:
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
I'll be buying a new machine sometime in the next year. I've got a real need for extra speed - but I need more than just speed bump, I need an order of magnitude in processing power.

Whether its a G5 or a quad 1.5 G4 I'll wait and see. Although the Power4 really has me interested - 16 processors, oh yeah!

D
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
I won't be looking to purchase a new Mac for another ~2 years. I picked up the 800MHz TiBook within a month of when they were released, and it more then suits my needs.

I will be interested after MSWF 2004, or whenever Apple releases a system (after that) that I simply must have. Until then, I will continue to update the game pc and add items to my Harley. At least with the Harley, I won't loose any money. :D
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
duke, I can't wait for that either. But the cost must be through the roof with 16 processors.
I wonder who in their right mind will NEED ALL 16 cores for data. Won't people be happy enough with a dual G5?

vitruvius, I'm using my 233MHz iMac and you are spamming. :D :p
 

Attachments

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
1,701
0
'Toba, Canada
i hopefully will, was talking to a guy from the local mac store n he said that there'll be new macs at the end of month but everyone...or most knows it'll probably be released out then :S
if the specs/price is right, i'll buy one, if its too expensive n not appealing enough specs, might just get a g4 imac or wait till jan
 

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
1,056
18
Tatooine
I hope Apple has something really good to add to the PowerMac line. I'm thinking of virtually-silent operation, faster hard disks, faster CPUs, entry-level to mid-range professional graphics options, and lower prices. I'm pretty satisfied with the current PowerMacs for what I want to do in the next year, so I'd take lower prices if nothing else. I want to buy a PowerMac, but I can't justify spending $2,500+ on the current models.
 

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
1,083
0
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The hypothetical specs looked good enough in the last round of rumors that I've psyched myself up enough to be willing to buy one of these new boxes to replace my machine at home.
What I'm really hoping for is a mid level DP. $2499 or less with Jaguar. If that comes out I will plunk down the card on the spot. If there is going to be a long delay for actual delivery than I may just wait for the G5 (I've got a project that will be over in another month and a half).
I know that there is a G5 down the road and maybe something even better from IBM that will blow even that away, but I've gotten three good years out of my G4 and now it's starting to show its age.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,951
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Too late for me as I recently bought a dual 800. I got tired of waiting for the next big thing. I just needed something that was faster than my PowerMac G3/400 and it definitely is that. :)
 

agoldweber

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
31
0
no need to wait for me. I got in on the Crystal Clear rebate and am happy for it! my flat-panel is sitting next to me, my G4 arrives tomorrow!

am I missing out on DDR, etc, etc.? yes...

but you know what? I've been making a living in design on my PM 7600/120 for half a dozen years.

I think I can live with a Dual 1Ghz and get more than my money's worth.
 

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
472
0
Melbourne
in june 03 my B&W G3 350 will be four years old. it's been a great four years... but i just used my housemate's g4 imac to do some email and stuff and nearly died at how fast it was. i mean, i used G4s before of course, but not to do general everyday things. it kills.

so i will be buying whatever is new and hip in june next year.. unless the g5s (or whatever) are not out yet, in which case i will just wait some more.

i'm still as in love with my G3 as i was the first day i got it.
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
Macette, you realize a dual 1ghz G4 is like 7x as fast as that thing youre runnin? heh
 

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
2,089
7
Westchester County, NY
I'm currently running a PMac 7500. It'll be 7 next month (which is roughly 3,547,986,413,210,032 in computer years). Been updated a few times- although not too recently - 300Mhz G3 in it right now. Either way, it's WAY past due for an update. This past MWNY proved it to me... I can deal with not running the latest and greatest OS- but when I can't even run the new iTunes...things have gone too far. I was hoping to get a new system when they announced them at the show- but we all know how that went. Now the 13th seems to be the next big hopeful date. It better be since I can't deal with this much longer. New release or not I'll be placing an order this week...hopefully in excess of 1Ghz.
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
Nope!

I won't be since I only got my DP1Ghz a few months back and it's more than quick enough for me...and that's before I get Jaguar on it! :D
 

mnm

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
18
0
yep, cash a waiting

hope they do dual processors accross the range to justify the title "power" mac, won't be impressed with something marginally quicker than an iMac pitched at serious professionals, need something to work with all this video/3d software coming our way. Maya 4.5 on jaguar on a dual processor G4 1.5GHz please! Think about it, Pixar, another Jobs company it still using silicon graphics machines, they must be ready to upgrade to macs!
 

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
647
0
The Netherlands
I've got my PowerMac G4 DP 1Ghz on the 5th of July... It's fast as hell! My Ti 550 is put to shame by this baby! I will most certanly buy a new PowerMac when the 2nd Revision of the G5 comes out, and i think that it will be near July to September 2003. Until then I've got a very powerful machine that suits my needs very well! Never but never did I feel that it was slow! And one thing that I have to congratulate Apple Macintosh... Thanks for the User Experience that I'm having!!! I Love OS X! I Love My Mac's! Hell!! I love it all!!!!
 

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
222
0
chicago
I'm definitely getting something. Ideally a low=end tower and a 22" acd would be beautiful and it's what I"m shooting for if Apple included dvd burners in all models. If not I"ll custom order it but that will add about 4 years to my shipping time.
 

pev

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
26
0
Near Bath, UK
Cant wait

Well, my G3-400 is never fast enough for running Logic with many plugins as well as rejecting all the IDE drives Ive tried adding. Ive been waiting for a new Mac with some level of improved architecture and it looks like finally this is the first major improvement since AGP came in. My credit card is primed and ready to go. Of course the ADC hardware discount helps a lot!

~Pev
 

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
356
0
I won't buy a new mac until I see some REAL performance gain. Not yesterdays hardware in a fancy case or hardware that's in peecee's for ages allready.
I want some really new stuff.
And still PROtools for X!!!!! Give it to me!!!! :)
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
I won't be....... I'm looking to buy a new TiBook and a powerMac in Jan or Feb of next year, depending on the likely hood of new models around that time it may be Jan, or if it takes until a March revision...... then I'll be buying.......

Don't know what I'll be doing with my current TiBook, unsure whether to trade it in on a new TiBook, sell it or give it to my mum.........