Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Ok let's see. Now that new products are coming, are you guys planning on spending more? I think I'll be adding the apple watch next year... Along with my annual iphone and iPad purchases.

Will there be a time to change spending habits? Maybe I'll stop buying iPads and get the watch to replace it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Ok let's see. Now that new products are coming, are you guys planning on spending more? I think I'll be adding the apple watch next year... Along with my annual iphone and iPad purchases.

Will there be a time to change spending habits? Maybe I'll stop buying iPads and get the watch to replace it.

I'm not planning on buying the watch. I'm a watch collector so I'm usually wearing an Omega, Elgin, Hamilton or similar mechanical on my wrist. The last thing I want to do is abandon my Planet Ocean for a cheap Apple gadget.

As far as other upcoming Apple products go, I'm looking forward to a revamped AppleTV which I hope to see released on Thursday. The current one is long in the tooth and ripe for a comprehensive re-imagination. I'm also budgeting for a new MacPro sometime in the next year (my current MacPro is just about 5 years old now) and I'm going to upgrade to either an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Pro depending on how the specs look.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The watch is too expensive for my taste and smart watches in general dont add anything to my phone experience. I am set with my 2012 macbook air for the next two years, and the 6 plus will tide me till the 7.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I've learned that it's very risky buying any version 1.0 product from Apple, so I'll pass this year, spend my tech money on well sorted out Android smartphones and continue to enjoy the break from the frustrations of buggy Apple first gen products.

Next year I'll enjoy buying an improved, stable and properly sorted iPhone. I'll let others be Apple's beta field testers this year.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I'm leaning towards getting the Apple Watch when it is released early next year.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The watch is too expensive for my taste and smart watches in general dont add anything to my phone experience. I am set with my 2012 macbook air for the next two years, and the 6 plus will tide me till the 7.

I think it's interesting that people think the watch is too expensive. Have you priced out watches lately? A decent mid-range mechanical or quartz watch will set you back at least $500. If you want a truly nice watch like an Omega you're into the thousands. The only watches in the Apple Watch price range are lame Cassios and Seikos that don't have anywhere near the functionality. If the MSRP stays where Apple claims the Apple Watch will be a fantastic deal price wise. Seriously. Go look at how much good watches cost. They're NOT cheap.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't have any desire for the watch. As far as the new iPads go... I don't really have much use for one. Can't use them for any real productivity

phixionalninja

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Nah, not anytime soon. I've been toying with the idea of finally getting an iPad for a couple of years, but the iP6+ has quelled that desire down to easily resisted levels. I don't feel any particular need for a device that sits between the iP6+ and my laptop. The Apple Watch is something to keep an eye on, but certainly not something I'll jump on for the first generation.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Ipad Pro if it comes, 12.9" screen or something.

Macmini also if it comes out, don't want the old one.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I'm excited for the watch since its a new product category. Im definitely buying the first one if anything.

Yes watches I can't live without. Seikos aren't as cheap as casios... Such an insult haha. I love Seiko automatic watches

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I'm not planning on buying the watch. I'm a watch collector so I'm usually wearing an Omega, Elgin, Hamilton or similar mechanical on my wrist. The last thing I want to do is abandon my Planet Ocean for a cheap Apple gadget.

As far as other upcoming Apple products go, I'm looking forward to a revamped AppleTV which I hope to see released on Thursday. The current one is long in the tooth and ripe for a comprehensive re-imagination. I'm also budgeting for a new MacPro sometime in the next year (my current MacPro is just about 5 years old now) and I'm going to upgrade to either an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Pro depending on how the specs look.

Me too. I've owned 2 Rolexes, 14 Omegas, Breitling and so on and there is no way I would replace one of those fine timepieces with an Apple watch. I could wear it on the other wrist but I would look like an official douche bag. Also the fact that I need my phone to operate the watch to the fullest kills it for me. Can't wait for the sm300 reissue to come out so I can wear it. Here's my po.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Me too. I've owned 2 Rolexes, 14 Omegas, Breitling and so on and there is no way I would replace one of those fine timepieces with an Apple watch. I could wear it on the other wrist but I would look like an official douche bag. Also the fact that I need my phone to operate the watch to the fullest kills it for me. Can't wait for the sm300 reissue to come out so I can wear it. Here's my po.

[url=http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll16/ramiodat/Mobile%20Uploads/0AD5F32D-3A77-41F0-8FB9-9127F05AB36D.png]Image[/URL]

Nice, I'll play

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
No. No more $$ on :apple: products. My eyes have finally opened. I opt out of the continuing dumbification of users.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Nice :). I've had at least 3 Seikos. Very dependable watches.

Seiko makes some cool watches. I have a limited edition Cocktail Time that I love. Looks like a gin and tonic.

See, this is one of the main areas of resistance that Apple is facing with the watch and why they're holding that price point WAY down. Watches are one of the few kinds of jewelry that men wear. They're a unique and subtle way to show personal style. People who wear them tend to be very particular about what they like. Getting them to abandon a fine watch for an Apple toy will be practically impossible in the majority of cases. That's why we see Apple hammering HARD on the fashion angle of the watch rather than the functionality. Breaking into the "wrist space" is a bigger gamble than other plays they've made before.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Seiko makes some cool watches. I have a limited edition Cocktail Time that I love. Looks like a gin and tonic.

See, this is one of the main areas of resistance that Apple is facing with the watch and why they're holding that price point WAY down. Watches are one of the few kinds of jewelry that men wear. They're a unique and subtle way to show personal style. People who wear them tend to be very particular about what they like. Getting them to abandon a fine watch for an Apple toy will be practically impossible in the majority of cases. That's why we see Apple hammering HARD on the fashion angle of the watch rather than the functionality. Breaking into the "wrist space" is a bigger gamble than other plays they've made before.

In the grand scheme of things Apple watch will not compete directly with old-fashioned watches. but when you think about it, it's actually a better device because it offers more functionality than the old fashioned watches

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Yep. Gonna buy the watch. When my MBP needs replacing, I'll get a new one. Not sure I'll replace the iPad yet - we'll see.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
In the grand scheme of things Apple watch will not compete directly with old-fashioned watches. but when you think about it, it's actually a better device because it offers more functionality than the old fashioned watches

Yes, it will most certainly compete directly with traditional watches. Why? Because you only have one wrist to wear a watch on (two if you don't mind looking like a total geek.) And no, the Apple watch does not offer more functionality than a traditional watch because the CENTRAL function of a traditional watch is as an object of personal style. Additionally, most mid to high end watches are water resistant to fairly deep depths and that isn't the case with the Apple watch.

So, again, it's going to be a VERY hard sell for Apple in many important market segments. Imagine, for example, if Apple were trying to replace women's shoes with the Apple Shoe. That's kind of what they're trying to do here. Take a central fashion object for men (and to a lesser degree women) and replace it with an Apple gadget. That is not a trivial notion.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Yep I am gonna buy the watch. I love watches and used to have about a dozen but not the only watch i have is an antique Rolex Submariner that belonged to my dad. He was given it as a present from Winston Churchill. I get nervous about wearing it all the time so I need to get a new watch for every day use and so I will get the Apple watch when it is released

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, it will most certainly compete directly with traditional watches. Why? Because you only have one wrist to wear a watch on (two if you don't mind looking like a total geek.) And no, the Apple watch does not offer more functionality than a traditional watch because the CENTRAL function of a traditional watch is as an object of personal style. Additionally, most mid to high end watches are water resistant to fairly deep depths and that isn't the case with the Apple watch.

So, again, it's going to be a VERY hard sell for Apple in many important market segments. Imagine, for example, if Apple were trying to replace women's shoes with the Apple Shoe. That's kind of what they're trying to do here. Take a central fashion object for men (and to a lesser degree women) and replace it with an Apple gadget. That is not a trivial notion.

I disagree... The Apple watch will offer more functionality than traditional watches. Traditional watches only show time better water resistance. However, it does offer better mechanism, ie. Jewel movement, solar etc. The apple watch will be a fashion accessory plus functionality of apps in additional to your typical timepiece. I do like your analogy that watch is for men as shoes are for girls. I would say bags for girls instead of shoes myself.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'll be getting the Watch next year to compliment my 6 Plus. I'm not getting the new iPad, though.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Looking forward to the watch. Certainly plan on getting one.

I suspect, unless there's a real killer new feature in the new iPads, that I won't upgrade. My iPad Air is still running beautifully and for anything requiring more heavy lifting I use a Surface Pro 3.

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
probably won't....mainly because they can't mass produce the products...it's always "out of stock." I'm calling all product "out of stock."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.