Are you gonna have to be home when the iPhone 5 is delivered on Friday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by valk, Sep 16, 2012.

1. valk macrumors newbie

valk

Sorry in advance if this has already been answered (I swear I tried to search first haha), but I remember talking to one of my friends when the iPhone 4 came out, and him saying that he like paid his cousin to be home at his place when it got delivered because someone had to be present to accept it (or, if no one was there, I assume, you'd have to wait a few days to get it). Anyone know if it's gonna be the same deal with the iPhone 5? I haven't read anything that would suggest it one way or the other, but it's a bit unsettling because I have class on Friday from 9am to 1pm, and I would be real upset if I missed my phone :( (I've been waiting more than 2 years to get a new phone! sheesh!)

And if it matters, I'm on AT&T and I ordered the phone online through Apple's website.

2. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

you or "someone" will have to sign for the item :cool:

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Someone will most likely have to sign for it.

4. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Apple's shipping and delivery policies can be found here. Someone will have to be present to sign for it when it is delivered. You could also presign for it using the form found at the above link, but if it's stolen off your front doorstep they are not liable.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Yes, they are shipping UPS as "signature required". Someone needs to sign for it.

In the past, I have left a note on my door telling them it is OK to leave the package on the doorstep. This always works for me, but I live in a pretty nice neighborhood and I've heard it's up to the driver to decide if it's safe or not, so YMMV. If you do this, make sure to sign the note.

Another option would be to tell them to leave it with a neighbor that you know will be home. Again, it is up to the driver's discretion.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I ordered from Apple.com and they have this:

7. KPOM macrumors G5

Usually what UPS does if you aren't there is leave a tag. That happened to me lots of times with lots of different products before I lived in a building with a doorman. Generally, you can call up the number on the tag and pick it up at their warehouse between 6:00pm and when they close (usually around 9:00pm), or the next morning.

8. valk thread starter macrumors newbie

valk

Hmm, currently deciding between these two options; my neighborhood isn't sketchy or anything, and I've never had anything stolen off my doorstep, but who knows...this is gonna be a big day so maybe punks will be scouting out these deliveries. If I do miss the delivery and could pick it up that night from the warehouse, that would be fine with me...can you think of any reason why I wouldn't be able to?

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I won't be at home...will be at work. There will be someone to sign at home for me though! :)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wonder if I can call UPS to have them reroute it to my work so I dont have to stay at home all day.
    I know some senders dont allow that option when they ship and only want it shipped and delivered to the original address.
    Wonder if Apple with the i5 will allow that change or not.

11. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

I'm personally against presigning simply based on the chance that something does happen to it Gwen I'm not there. Double check with your local UPS distributor to make sure that the hours they're open work for you picking it up.

12. France- macrumors member

France-

13. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I called apple today and changed the shipping address to my work location.

14. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Anyone have experience calling UPS and requesting them to hold it at the hub for pickup the same day (launch day)? I know with ordinary packages that's usually an option, just wondering if this is different as far as being a special launch date, international delivery, etc., etc.

15. valk thread starter macrumors newbie

valk

Well, I checked all the distribution centers within 20 miles of me, and their times varied from 3:30-6; which works for me!

Really strange that there were A. like 12 of them by me, and B. that their times vary so much. Guess I really don't know jack about "logistics."

16. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Just remember if you miss it. You have to wait for the truck to return to the depot. Which is after it finishes it's runs. And you're going to bet that you won't be the only one there.

17. valk thread starter macrumors newbie

valk

Dang, didn't even think of this...I really don't wanna miss class, ugh, this sucks >.>

18. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

I am stuck at work until 5 on Friday, so I just logged into my order on the Apple store and changed the delivery address to my work address. This way I can sign for the package and not have to worry about it sitting on my doorstep.

19. valk thread starter macrumors newbie

valk

Actually wow I don't know how I didn't think of this, but I could totally just have it shipped to one of my parents' work and have them sign for it. Good idea haha.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Attention!
    You cannot edit your order after it has been packaged for shipment.

That's the message Im getting above:(

21. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

That sucks. I changed my delivery address on Friday morning a few hours after placing my order while it still said "order processing". I guess it may be too late to change it now.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see.
    Thanks, was worth a try :)