Are You Happy in Life Right Now? (Yes or No?)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, May 11, 2010.

?

Are you happy in life right now?

1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    55.4%
  2. No

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Or rather are you content with your current situation?

Let's say upon you reading the title of this thread, you had no more than 3 seconds to answer Yes or No...which answer would it be?

Of course whether you're doing good or bad in life right now is only temporary, so just answer.

:D

2. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

I'm bloody miserable, angry and pissed off

not one thing in particular, just stuff

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No. I would like a better paying job (or get my company to give me a raise- currently working on both), buy some property. A sane boyfriend would be nice too. All the guys I've dated recently have been less than acceptable. I would like all my medical issues to be finally resolved (nothing too serious, just parts breaking, like teeth, veins, etc).

But I do live in a nice place in a great city, have never been laid off, and I do like my job for the most part.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hmm, I did specify a simple Yes or No, so if I had to choose i'd say "No." But only cause i've been stressed for the past few months with school. I got accepted to UCLA, UC Irvine, San Diego, among others but may not be able to attend due to a stupid math class requirement at my community college. This is where the stress is coming from...

Though in all reality I do get to go to UC Riverside this fall no matter what (as my safety net) and am still waiting on USC's response in late June.

Just figured this post would be something new to get us (or me @ least) past the day.

I'm just waiting for this spring semester to end so "Summer" can really start and i'll be at the beach at least every other day surfing.

Edit: Plus more hours at work would be nice.

6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Yes. Despite being a student with less than no money to his name, i love life! Granted, i'd prefer to be in a better situation, but hey ho, good life!

7. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I have a good, stable job in this bad economy and a great family. You have to appreciate the small things - Life is good! :)

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm happy right now. Good paying job (the options part), booking a venue at this very minute for my wedding next year, good health (could be better, but I'm working on it). :)

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There was an article yesterday on Salon that was targeted, I think misguidedly, at women, titled "Screw happiness." Its thesis was built on mountains of pop psychology research suggesting that women aren't happy with anything, basically ever, and anything they attempt to do only makes them, as a group, less happy.

I don't think it's just women, and boiled down a little further what I got out of it was a lengthy rehashing of an old aphorism in engineering circles: "Better is the enemy of good."

The most relevant anecdote in the piece, as far as I was concerned, was a short description of a meal in a restaurant where the waiter asks, "is everything perfect?" How many meals have you eaten in your life that you could call "perfect"? And how many perfectly serviceable, even wonderful meals have failed to meet any such lofty expectation? How can a question like that ever do anything but make your experience worse?

The thing that makes us most unhappy might just be our faith that there is always a higher level of happiness we are failing to attain. I speculate that you can never be happy with your circumstances unless you are capable of being happy independent of your circumstances.

Me? I've got a cold. I could do without that.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, but maybe things are looking up. I'll get back to you.

11. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I am going to have to go with that as well. I am realizing as more I come along that I got lucky to get a job in this economy. I do have my own place, but stuff is stuff and will always get to head faster than the good things.

Let's say I haven't anything to complain about, but neither anything to show for it...

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Could be better but yes. I wake up and go to sleep happy. The rest of the day could go either way but it's normally good!
    Working freelance (money isn't great though), likely going back to university for my masters in September and finally have an idea of what I'd like to do in the future.

Ideally I'd love to fast forward 2 years where I'd have a well paid job and own a home with the girlfriend but it's aaawwlll about the journey.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Personally I would find it a bit hard to be unhappy with life in general, there are too many people who are worse off.

14. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Broken teeth and broken veins... I'm sure there are interesting stories behind those injuries, but it's probably best not to ask...

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

happiness as an emotion. No not right now.

Contentment with my life, yes. While circumstances are less then ideal (wife out of work > 1.5 years getting harder to pay bills). I am content and thankful for what I do have. I have my health, my needs are met. I have two healthy beautiful kids and I have a job.

So while at this very moment, I'm not "happy" I am content and I have joy in my life.

16. ethical macrumors 68000

Not right now. Poor, stressed with work, gf stuff.

Ask me again in 4.5 years.

Just because there's people worse of than me that are unhappy....doesn't mean I can't be. I just not AS unhappy as them :p

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Overall I'm happy with my life right now. It's not perfect, but to say no would imply that every day I'm miserable, which simply isn't the case. Right now I live in a nice apartment in a fun city, live without incurring debt, and have plenty of friends. I have a very loving boyfriend and I just got a new iPad so things are going fine. :) The summer is shaping up to be very fun with plenty of weekend excursions.

I think the trap is to let others decide whether you should be happy or not based upon your circumstances. For example, I have a friend who makes about $145,000 a year and lives in a very nice house. However, he is not happy at all (this is what he told me--not my judgement). He doesn't think he makes enough money, works 80 hours a week, and has a $400,000 mortgage.

Yet, he looks at my life and knows my lower salary, the fact that I don't travel very much, and don't own a home and to him I *should* be very, very unhappy -- and he says so. It's as if he is trying to "infect" me with his version of what success should be and convince me that I should be unhappy--and more so than him.

Maybe in 20 years our roles will be reversed and he'll be the happy one in his nice, paid off home and cushy retirement and I'll still be slaving away at work and dealing with rising rent prices. But, I'll take what I can get today.

18. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Nope, not happy with work and my girlfriend isn't happy with me :(

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but then you'll have other issues and stress in life. No matter what stage of life you're in. You are going to have problems and stress. You might as well learn to enjoy life since it beats the alternative ;)

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not a real "Yes" or "No"...
    But the pendulum swings more to the "No" than the "Yes".... as in GF trouble, wish I were in London, life's getting a bit boring tends to make me think about things, you know... :(

21. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Seeing all this misery is really making me feel better... :D

22. ethical macrumors 68000

ahh yes, but in 4.5 years I'll (hopefully) be doing the thing that I've wanted to do for longer than I can remember. I'll have a steady income, and other things that I feel are holding me back at the moment won't be there any more :)

I'm not super unhappy, but as someone else worded it....the pendulum is swinging to that side. I could certainly be happier.
    haha!

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

yes. I have a great job and a great life. I need to lose a little weight and would like for my model girlfriend to give it up more but life is pretty sweet :D

mind you, I don't make a TON of money but I make enough and I LOVE my career. I think that's the key. I studied something I love in college and grad school, rather than something extremely practical or profitable, and am lucky enough to do what I love every day because I am passionate about it.

24. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Eh, not really. There are few reasons but they just stress me just a little to much. One is not being very lucky with the ladies recently :eek:. The other is knowing next year I'm signing up for a lot of honors classes. I know I could take regular classes but I always get bundled with the most boneheaded kids in my grade level. So it's either be with immature idiots or in classes that I get pushed to hard. And to top that I'm taking an AP Chemistry class too. My most hated class.

And I wanted to take photography but I have to take art(WTF) first. :mad:

But otherwise my life is great! :)