Are you happy with the size/portability of the Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jonesy85, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Jonesy85 macrumors member

I'm sending my Macbook back for a refund because I don't like the screen when playing games are watching videos. Otherwise, I love it, especially the size of it. It's easy to carry from one room to the next and I really like using it on my lap while I'm at my couch or chair. Typing is easy too since there's not a huge gap from the end of the notebook to the keyboard, allowing me to comfortably rest only my wrist on the notebook when typing.

I plan on using my refund money and purchasing the Pro model since I think it'll be perfect for fixing the screen issue I have the with the Macbook. My only worry is that the extra weight, and more importantly, the extra mass will make it much less portable and less comfortable to use when on my lap, or when typing.

I know there's not a huge difference in size, but sometimes it's hard to judge how things feel with even the slightest differences. So, do you all feel that the Pro model is very much a portable machine that's easy to use on the go, or when you want to use it on your lap, or while laying in bed? My last notebook was a 17" 8 1/2 pound monster, so I know it'll be much easier to use than that thing. I just hope using this Macbook for the last 2 weeks won't make the Pro feel too bulky.

Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

I think it's very portable. Slips easily into a sleeve inside my backpack ... even more comfortable if you want to use it in bed or on a chair. Get it :)

3. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

I came from the White 2.2 MacBook, and now i have the new MacBook Pro. While it is larger to carry around, that comes expected. But i feel its much easyer to lay down with the notebook in my lap, it feels great

5. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

As far as 15" laptops go, it's the smallest and lightest so no complaints really.

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

sometimes i wish i got the macbook for portability (in college)
    but honestly w/ the mbp you get
    FW800
    better screen quailty (viewing angle and blacks)
    dedicated graphics (imagine when snow leopard comes out)

and seriously
    ...for a 15" laptop
    the MBP cant get any better/thinner

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Besides the size, the unibody MBP are actually slightly heavier than the classic MBP15.

8. Jonesy85 thread starter macrumors member

9. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

yeah, honestly, anyone could wish the mbp would be smaller but the power u get for mbp overrules everything

10. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

Mate, I am a frequent flyer and I use a 15' MBP. I am very happy with it as it fits into my bag just perfectly and isn't heavy at all. I love it.

11. DaveOZ macrumors regular

For me the size is fine. I can still pick it up with one hand and it fits in my bag. I too sent back the new MB and I don't regret it. The Pro is much better as an all round machine. My advice is get a couch with nice square arms and sit on on there. ;)