are you happy with your 21 inch or do you wish you got the 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acorn, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Acorn, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I have been looking into possibly getting an imac in october and I could either get the top 21 or the base 27. Im concerned i will be unhappy with the 21 inch size not really performance. I will be using this with a wacom cintiq. Do the folks that own a 21 inch regret not getting the 27 at all.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I personally dont have an iMac :( BUT, the 27" looks overpowering when you have a small desk and the 21" looks weird and small on a BIG desk
    hope I helped <(")

3. Lankyman macrumors 68000

21.5" for me, I did try the 27 and to be honest I found the size quite simply OTT for my desk, in general and the resolution is that high the text was too small. This is one area where small is beautiful. :D

4. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Also happy with my 21.5, as the person above mentioned I also have trouble with the size of text on the 27, plus the 21.5 actually fits in my desk hutch :p

I know you can change the size of the text on the 27 but not using the native resolution just doesn't look right.

5. Texran macrumors regular

I've got a 27, wish I'd gotten the 21.5. I just wish the 21.5 had 1 GB Graphics.

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I don't own an iMac, BUT I've debated about buying one before, but I didn't have the money for the 27-inch so I simply didn't buy one.

In my opinion, it's either a laptop or a big screen. No "medium" screen like the 21-inch iMac. If I want multiple windows open at the same time, I need a screen resolution big enough for each window to be pretty large

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I am debating getting a 21 instead of keeping my 27. The main reason is Lion. Full screen apps take away the main reason I wanted more real estate on the screen. Swiping between full screen apps using Lion is much more preferable to having them side by side, at least to me.

But on a 27" a full screen browser looks downright silly. Ditto for Mail and many others.

On a 21" screen they "feel" better. Maybe I am crazy, but I think my next mac will be a 21" model, the only question is do I sell my 27" and make the change now or wait until its time to buy a new one (in a year or two).

8. sindekit macrumors member

I'm extremely happy with my 21.5", but sometimes I do wish I had gone with the 13" mbp because I'm rarely at my desk due to babysitting my little brother. And I would have been unsastified with the 27" because I have poor vision and everything would have been extremely small for me to read.

9. ng7apoc macrumors member

I've just ordered the 21.5" iMac, its replacing an old 20" model but I did give strong consideration to the 27". In the end it just seemed more suited to me but everyone is different best advice is to try out both if you can, although I realise its not always possible for people to do so (it certainly wasn't for me)

10. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

happy. 27 inch would never have fit on my desk top.

11. whodareswins macrumors regular

Very happy with mine. Fits perfectly on my desk, I love the thing.

12. iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

I am very happy with my 21.5 iMac (1st time buyer). I debated and went over it in my head before purchase, spend hours at the store looking at both sizes....months later, I bought the 27" monitor and plugged it into my 21.5 imac and using the iMac as my 2nd monitor.

Works great!!

13. Wizzykin macrumors newbie

I can't imagine having a 27". It seems like it would just be way too much.

I got the 2.7GHz 21.5" and I'm really happy. The screen is more than enough.

14. whitenoise macrumors regular

I got the 27" and I love it. Can have the browser open, be watching video and finder open on the screen at the same time.

I was using 2x24" on my pc, so I guess I'm used to the space, but I think i would find the smaller iMac a bit cramped.

If I had less room I would maybe think differently. Btw, my eyes aren't the best and I have no problem reading the text.

Also, if I could afford it I would add a 27" cinema display as a second monitor. :p

15. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

I've had my 21.5" for about a year and a half. Between the two it was the best choice for me and I have no regrets.

However, if they offered a 23-24" model I would consider it. 27" is ridiculously big IMHO.

16. Illumination macrumors regular

At my school a few of the computers are 27 inchers, and those things are huge! :eek: I think if I were to get an iMac I would get the 21.5"

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

While your seeking for a reasurring answer there really is none. The reason is everyone uses their Imac for different tasks. Video editors, Photoshop geeks etc will prefer the 27, whereas others the 21.
    Bottom Line if your comfortable with the size you did the right thing.

18. 4zuresky macrumors member

imac 21.5"

I got the base model 21.5" like two weeks ago and I am VERY happy with it since the 27" is too much for me and I have a pretty small desk. It looks like a giant on my desk. Plus, I've been using a macbook for about three years so I was used to the small screen for a long while. I don't photoshop, edit photos or videos so I don't need the extra power from the graphic card. The only games I play are tf2, css, and portal. I still get like 120-230 fps in css with casey's config. Best decision and comp I've ever bought. No regrets at all!

19. MaloCS macrumors regular

For me the 21.5 inch is the perfect size. With my high resolution, Logitech Performance MX mouse I can move the cursor from the top left corner down to the bottom right corner in one wrist movement. I.E. - I don't have to lift my hand, reposition the mouse and then continue the cursor path. With the native resolution of the 27" iMac being 2560 by 1440 pixels there is no way in hell I'm moving the cursor from one edge to the other without lift my wrist and repositioning the mouse.

This simple cursor test tells me if the display is just right or too large. In this case, paired with a 1500 by 1500 DPI mouse the 21.5" iMac is the perfect size. You might have different results depending on the size of your hands and wrists. The larger the hands/wrists the more area you can cover without having to lift the mouse and reposition.

20. Dnix macrumors 6502

The 27 is so epic, I remember when I first saw the original ones in best buy. :eek:

It looked cooler there for some reason than a Apple store.

The 21.5 is cool and everything....but I wouldn't even consider it.

21. mapleleafer macrumors regular

If iMacs ever manage to achieve resolution independence, I will get a 27". I would love to have a large screen and set up the wireless mouse and keyboard some distance from the screen. I work with text only and can adjust its size easily within the programmes I use, but without control of the OS-restricted text, I'll stay with the lower resolution of the smaller screen.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have the 21.5. Could've gotten the 27" - wasn't a budget thing. I just looked at the 27 in the store and couldn't imagine having that on my desk. I can honestly say I've never once wished I had gone the other way. The 21.5 is perfect for my desk and my uses. But, I really do think it depends on the uses.

23. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

Thanks guys all your posts have been really helpful. It was an interesting read. not many regretted their 21 at all so maybe i will do that.

24. n8236 macrumors 65816

25. Michael383 macrumors 6502a