Are you happy with your Sprint speeds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icomputered, Nov 19, 2011.

1. icomputered macrumors member

Hi guys, I recently got an Sprint iPhone 4S, and I have been generally happy with the device. Overall, Sprint's speeds have been okay, and I have have little problems. The speed I have been getting have been averaging 300 kbps to 900 kbps. I have never gotten over 1200 kbps. But, from time to time, I will get speeds of under 100 kbps, which can be very frustrating. I really want to like Sprint, but at times I am unsure of whether I should stay with them. What do you guys think about your Sprint iPhone 4S speeds? Are you happy?

BTW, I live in Irvine, CA.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have AT&T with 4-7MBps speeds so I don't know your situation at all. But if you have to ask others if their happy about something then chances you, yourself is not. But, if you can live with those speeds for your contract length then stay. If not, leave as fast as you can before you get locked in. I'd much rather have a data cap than unlimited data with slow speeds.

3. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

OMFG i can totally relate!!! I have had sprint however over the last ten years or more!!! love them for their plans have all these goodies n what not on my account!!! Was excited about the iPhone got them on 4 of my 5 lines!!! The data is unrealistically slow and the coverage is horrible, I guess i overlooked the bad coverage and used an airave in my office but the rest of my family cant stand it!!!

I switched my dad from att iPhone to sprint to save $100 a month!!! and DAMN he is PISSED cause he gets no reception at our family restaurant that we own and he was like put me back on att. so I have decided after FOREVER being with sprint and fighting for them that!!! I cant believe it cause I'm a very loyal person but i feel like over the years i have just overlooked a lot of things out of stupidity!!!

I like that on ATT/GSM you can do simultaneous voice and data ANYWHERE, not just where there is 4g like sprint and even that is lackluster!!! I like that you can also have faster true data speeds as compared to sprint and I am almost sure att LTE will kill sprint speed wise, I like that there is a feature where you can conference in as many people as you want into a call which is not possible on CDMA!!!

More importantly I'm a big numbers guy and i like getting deals so I sat down the other day really looking at things closely in terms of cost!!! I remember I would always say AT&T was super expensive and that was the only reason i did not like them. Well truth be told they are not that expensive anymore compared to sprint!!!

On sprint you pay about $30 for add a line cause of their stupid 10 fee!! as far as the advertising of unlimited data, I am a HUGE data user I looked at my usage and it is under 2gb!!! i couldn't believe it so now I DO believe when at&T made the tiering data move citing that 95% of their users use less than 2gb, I believe they were actually being honest!!!

I would essentially be paying about $20-30 more on at&T for way better service a true faster more streamlined iPhone experience being able to surf and talk at the same time,faster data speeds, and have the ability to conference calls with anyone at anytime.

But yeah thats my two pennies and I think over the years I just put a blind eye to sprint and their lack of quality cell service and its not that saying this cause I'm going to leave but I knew this having worked in their retentions department for almost 2 years!!! I just think I was one of those that I was happy saving money so I put up with the bad stuff such as slow data, lack of true simultaneous voice and data that wasn't dependent on a half ass 4g network, constant call drops, inability of CDMA to merge calls, and other aspects of service!!! I guess the age old saying is true, GOOD is NOT cheap, and CHEAP is NOT good!!

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I have no problems with my Sprint speed, or reception.

5. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

I know the speed tests are slower but in actual use it works just fine. Sure if I put one side by side with the AT&T version it will look slower.

But day to day use I don't really notice.

Supposedly Sprint is updating it's towers which should alleviate some of the issue...

But to get obsessed over speedtest is silly, IMHO. instead base it on actual use of the phone and if that is a problem for you.

6. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

7. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

i should clarify this is all subjective to location I am in orlando and speed is an issue but not a deal breaker, reception and lack of coverage in some important areas IS a deal breaker

8. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

10gb a month or more data user ( more since MW3 came out since I tether) very happy I tether my ps3 and my laptop to my ip4s and love my sprint service. In my area it's better speeds than Verizon but not as fast as AT&T but better voice quality and it is cheaper. 85$ a month for unlimited data unlimited mobile to any mobile calls text and like 750 landline minutes that no one uses.

9. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I work with a guy who is still on sprint and his speeds are horrible. Yeah, he has unlimited data, but who cares when you're spending 2 minutes loading a webpage? His speeds are very comparible to yours. Usually less than 1Mb Down/up.

I'm on ATT and i love my speeds. It's not uncommon for me to reach 4Mb down and 2MB Up. The speed difference is CRAZY! If you're able to get out from under Sprint... i suggest you try... at least look at another service and see what your options are. You won't look back.

----------

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/18...iphone-data-speeds-sprint-most-dropped-calls/

Additionally, here is a link to MacRumors homepage article about data speeds. This is more for those of you who say "No problems here"

You're living in the clouds. Take advantage of todays technology, don't settle for less.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I jusT read an article somewhere that reviewed all three and showed Verizon to be the most reliable, AT&T to be the fastest and Sprint to be a dog.

I know AT&T is smoking fast for me.

11. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

All good here. South Florida

12. davidra macrumors 6502

They had said they were upgrading our towers and for three days I had perfectly reasonable download speeds, greater than 1.0. However, that was shortlived and now I"m back to less than .4 in most locations. Bummer. I really probably would have gone to Verizon had I known.